Forums are back in action! ×

Newbie Alert

Hi,

I've been reading the blog here for about a month. I stumbled across it when looking for some paleo dieting advice and I've been pretty much hooked ever since.

I've been going to the gym for about 2 months. I'm doing classes, swimming and some gym work. I'm trying to syc myself up to going into the free weights section, but it's scary looking!

I've lost about 2 stone (28lbs) and I'm really proud of myself. I still have about 5 stone (70lbs) to go, though I'm going to try to work on how I look and not just how much I weigh.

So, why am I here??

I'm looking for some motivating support to keep me on the straight and narrow diet wise and I'm looking for a friendly (informative) push into the free weights cause I've been told strength training will be good for me  :playful:

If anyone can do that or point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

A LIFE LIVED IN FEAR IS A LIFE HALF LIVED

Welcome to the adventurers guild.  We have a challenge starting up in just a week and a half, so perhaps I'll see you there.  I'm not much of a gym mavin; I do my workouts at home.  I know someone will pop in and help you out though.  You might also want to post your questions in the "help me build a workout" forum.  Good luck on your continuing quest. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

This is a great community for motivation and support! Some of the nicest folks i've ever met. Good luck and great work so far! 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Im just going to post in here because Im too shy to do my own "oh haii" post.

Trying to dedicate some time to exercise and eating right in between fulltime uni and fulltime work but am finding it hard to keep on track.

I have exams in 2 weeks so diet pretty much consists of chocolate and energy drinks. Halp!

I don't go to the gym really.  I have a home gym that I'm slowing building- between sledgehammer, tires, sandbags, and water jugs with sand as free weights.  laureleye is right- there are specific forums for specific questions.  good luck and good job so far!

annemage:

there needs to be a specific goal and plan of action.  school is a huge pain in that homework can be a sudden rush of anxiety and soak up countless hours.  the best way to handle things is to prepare.  Don't have some food that you 'will eventually' make, because after you finish studying or doing a paper, you realize it's way too late to make a meal and end up eating junk.

My secret weapon is crockpots.  Throw all the food in the pot; let it simmer all day and that can be a big meal for a few days.  Also makig certain meals ahead of time can help when you're too tired or stressed to start cooking at 8pm.  Like making mini-quiches in a muffin tin.  Make 12 of them on a sunday, and then store them in a tupperware container.  reheat in the mircowave for 30 seconds and bam- you have  a hot n ready quiche with lots of protein and veges- better fuel than caffeine.

also since the weather is changing is a grill.  Even if you don't have much space, you can get a tiny charcoal grill to put outside on a table for seriously 10 bucks.  Grill a ton of meat, store it away, then every day just reheat in a toaster or even cold with a salad, spinach, or wide assortment of microwaveable steam-fresh bags.  It's ALL about preparing ahead.

Thanks for the welcomes!

It's been a tough couple of weeks trying to get back into some kind of routine. I'm an all or nothing kind of girl and if I'm not in routine it seems a great excuse to do nothing at all! 

I'm going to join the next challenge and see if that helps.

A LIFE LIVED IN FEAR IS A LIFE HALF LIVED

Trying to dedicate some time to exercise and eating right in between fulltime uni and fulltime work but am finding it hard to keep on track.

I have exams in 2 weeks so diet pretty much consists of chocolate and energy drinks. Halp!

I know the feeling Anne, my finals were two weeks ago and just happened to coincide with a pre-scheduled camping trip. I was a WRECK that week! Definitely listen to Teros, the crockpots are fabulous inventions. When my husband was working and we were both away all day long, we'd just go order out because we'd be too tired to cook a full meal at 6 and not eat until 7:30. I started getting up a little earlier in the morning and throwing dinner in a crockpot on the way out the door. 8-9 hours on low heat and you'll have fall-apart pork or chicken (or beef, you get the idea) and you can make virtually the whole meal in the freakin' thing. Veggies and all. You can even get a good crockpot second hand at a thrift store if money is tight as a student (which I totally understand) and they'll save your bacon more times than you could ever realize.

"Even if you don't make it all the way, those last 10 seconds of trying and not getting anywhere - that's where you gain the most strength." - Jessie Graff

Thanks for the welcomes!

It's been a tough couple of weeks trying to get back into some kind of routine. I'm an all or nothing kind of girl and if I'm not in routine it seems a great excuse to do nothing at all! 

I'm going to join the next challenge and see if that helps.

I'm the same way :) If I don't throw myself in immediately, I tend to wander off and forget about it. I'm joining the next challenge too, hopefully it'll keep me motivated.

"Even if you don't make it all the way, those last 10 seconds of trying and not getting anywhere - that's where you gain the most strength." - Jessie Graff

I'm looking for some motivating support to keep me on the straight and narrow diet wise and I'm looking for a friendly (informative) push into the free weights cause I've been told strength training will be good for me  :playful:

I was intimidated too, having NEVER set foot in a free weights room. I bought myself a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women, and read, and re-read, and still walked past the free weights room. Finally I just asked for help from a gym attendant. Now I'm not so freaked out about it and start each workout in there. 

Welcome!

twirlgrrl

Level 1 Adventurer working towards Ranger

STR-3 | DEX-2 | STM-1 | CON-3 | WIS-4 | CHR- 2

twirlgrrl's challenge log

Welcome, new gladiators - may you fare well in the arena that is fitness!

Hi,

I've been reading the blog here for about a month. I stumbled across it when looking for some paleo dieting advice and I've been pretty much hooked ever since.

I've been going to the gym for about 2 months. I'm doing classes, swimming and some gym work. I'm trying to syc myself up to going into the free weights section, but it's scary looking!

I've lost about 2 stone (28lbs) and I'm really proud of myself. I still have about 5 stone (70lbs) to go, though I'm going to try to work on how I look and not just how much I weigh.

So, why am I here??

If anyone can do that or point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

What everyone else said, support here's pretty good and most of the folks are more than civil and level-headed if not enthusiastic! You can also look for an accountabilitybuddy either here or in RL which will make things quite a notch easier or generally look for a 'support system' - there's also a ton of resources on making your mind ironclad so your body can follow suit.

annemage:

there needs to be a specific goal and plan of action.  school is a huge pain in that homework can be a sudden rush of anxiety and soak up countless hours.  the best way to handle things is to prepare.  Don't have some food that you 'will eventually' make, because after you finish studying or doing a paper, you realize it's way too late to make a meal and end up eating junk.

It depends on what exactly you're doing and your work ethic. You're already ahead of the game if you know how your brain operates and in certain situations (like presentations) what works best for you, things like designing a test yourself and brainstorming possible assignments/answers can be a huge help. (depending on the test you're taking, not entirely sure how differentiated the scope in the U.S. is - over here we don't really do a lot of MC, heavier focus on written assignments)

In case anyone's interested in methodology I'd be glad to help, just gimme a holler.

As for the food I definitely agree, if you know ahead of time you won't have as much time just prepare batches - if you're already accustomed to cooking this won't be a big leap. If you're not you can build with that. (I tend to prep food when I'm bored)

My secret weapon is crockpots.  Throw all the food in the pot; let it simmer all day and that can be a big meal for a few days.  Also makig certain meals ahead of time can help when you're too tired or stressed to start cooking at 8pm.  Like making mini-quiches in a muffin tin.  Make 12 of them on a sunday, and then store them in a tupperware container.  reheat in the mircowave for 30 seconds and bam- you have  a hot n ready quiche with lots of protein and veges- better fuel than caffeine.

This, as I said above. Caffeine can be effective when used properly and depending on how you roll, although in that case I'd rather go for proper fresh coffee as it has more caffeine. (actually more than espresso) My pre-w/o routine includes half a cup and I can slam heavier and more intense workouts easier but as I said, always depends on your reaction and usage.

lso since the weather is changing is a grill.  Even if you don't have much space, you can get a tiny charcoal grill to put outside on a table for seriously 10 bucks.  Grill a ton of meat, store it away, then every day just reheat in a toaster or even cold with a salad, spinach, or wide assortment of microwaveable steam-fresh bags.  It's ALL about preparing ahead.

This is a really good idea.

And don't forget, work SMART. Specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely goals are often a good foundation for the ladder to success. Also kudos for being able to manage a job and uni, I still think that this is common in certain areas in the U.S. is nuts.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

Archived