Forums are back in action! ×

How do you "level up" flexibility?

torpedotor

I've been trying to create a list of all of the goals I want to accomplish in the next 10-20 years (fitness, career, life experiences, etc). I'm on fitness goals right now, and what I'm doing is writing down the movement (lifting) or distance (running) and then writing down different levels that I think are fair. So as an example: for push-ups, I want to be able to do 100 (in a row) eventually, so my levels are 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100.

What I'm stuck on is flexibility. I would love to improve my flexibility, but I don't know how to set goals or what movements there are for this area. Can anyone help?

I'm not inflexible, btw. I can touch my toes, I stretch (dynamic mostly) before running or lifting. So I don't need to set goals like "touch your toes." Maybe something with being able to put my palms on the floor? But I don't know how I could "level" that since I can already touch my toes and I don't want my goal to be that close. Maybe something like a bridge? I don't know. But that's why I'm here. Asking you.

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

Not sure whether setting goals in such a distant future makes a lot of sense but then again I have no idea what works for you so if it does kudos to you, I know that I won't stick to any goal that is too 'abstract' (too far away chronologically). One step at a time.

As for stretching it's probably better if you stretch after workouts or running as stretching before can actually increase the risk for injury. For some weird reason certain sources have advocated stretching instead of warming up when it makes more sense the other way around (at least according to what I know).

As for flexibility exercises - you can incorporate them into your workout routine, if you can do dips you can also do them in various ways engaging different parts and exercising more flexibility - ring training can also work really well and will generally work out your body pretty well (pretty sure military personnel around the world actually use this for practical strength and flexibility). You could also go for something like parkour, dancing or martial arts.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

Not sure whether setting goals in such a distant future makes a lot of sense but then again I have no idea what works for you so if it does kudos to you, I know that I won't stick to any goal that is too 'abstract' (too far away chronologically). One step at a time.

As for stretching it's probably better if you stretch after workouts or running as stretching before can actually increase the risk for injury. For some weird reason certain sources have advocated stretching instead of warming up when it makes more sense the other way around (at least according to what I know).

As for flexibility exercises - you can incorporate them into your workout routine, if you can do dips you can also do them in various ways engaging different parts and exercising more flexibility - ring training can also work really well and will generally work out your body pretty well (pretty sure military personnel around the world actually use this for practical strength and flexibility). You could also go for something like parkour, dancing or martial arts.

Well, for the goals, I set them long-term, but I break them down into steps. Then I aim for one step at a time.

I'd love to get into parkour. I'll try looking for a group around DC.

Thanks!

"Are the gods not just?"

Are you looking for activities that increase overall flexibility, or specific flexibility benchmarks? If it's the former, I would suggest a yoga-centered structure. It will increase full body flexibility and you won't even realize it's happening. If it's the latter, there are several poses and "parlor tricks" that you could work toward: wheel pose (otherwise known as a standing back bend), being able to touch your head to your knees when you do that toe touch, hip flexibility like splits and extensions (excellent for lifters' mobility), among many many others. It really just depends how specific you want to get and what you personally hope to achieve. Achieving the greatest possible mobility in your back squat, for example, would require a very different skill set than being able to hook your leg over a wall a few feet taller than you. Or if you just want to look freakin awesome (and who doesn't) might I suggest being able to pull both legs behind your head. You could definitely do that at parties :-P

"I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul" -WEH

• Current Challenge: The 6 Labors
  • Level 5 Amazon Assassin

Are you looking for activities that increase overall flexibility, or specific flexibility benchmarks? If it's the former, I would suggest a yoga-centered structure. It will increase full body flexibility and you won't even realize it's happening. If it's the latter, there are several poses and "parlor tricks" that you could work toward: wheel pose (otherwise known as a standing back bend), being able to touch your head to your knees when you do that toe touch, hip flexibility like splits and extensions (excellent for lifters' mobility), among many many others. It really just depends how specific you want to get and what you personally hope to achieve. Achieving the greatest possible mobility in your back squat, for example, would require a very different skill set than being able to hook your leg over a wall a few feet taller than you. Or if you just want to look freakin awesome (and who doesn't) might I suggest being able to pull both legs behind your head. You could definitely do that at parties :-P

Haha. *raises glass* Here's to hoping I never get so drunk at a party that I put my legs behind my head.

Thanks for all the ideas, though. Very helpful. I may try to start working towards splits. 

"Are the gods not just?"

I read Stretching and Flexibility - Everything you never wanted to know ( http://www.bradapp.com/docs/rec/stretching/ ) and can recommend it

There is one rule, above all others, ... Whatever comes, face it on your feet.

Robert Jordan, The Great Hunt

Lvl 2 Half-Elf Ranger

STR:4 | DEX:2.5 | STA:5 | CON:3 | WIS:5 | CHA:3

Daily Grind

Story of a Ranger: 1st chapter, 2nd chapter, 3rd chapter, 4th chapter

Archived