Forums are back in action! ×

faster isn't always better- a running epiphany

Paisley

I was heading out for my 10k run this morning, grabbed the ipod and it's all out of batteries.  Oh well I don't always mind running without music, it gives me time to think.  Today my deep and meaningful thoughts we're dwelling on why it was that out of the two runs I do each week -  a 5km and a 10km, I actually look forward more to the 10km run, what sort of weirdo am I? 

So I thought about it logically, what do I do differently between the two runs, my 5k runs I try and either do intervals of sprinting, or run to better my time, my 10k runs are just run for fun, I try and do my best, keep a check on my time, but somehow there isn't the pressure to be better or go faster, if I can finish then I'm happy......so that's it, I don't like the pressure associated with trying to do better, I've seen this before, my one and only 5k race I actually hated, too many people around and generally just too much pressure.  So the next question was, so why am I pushing myself in my 5k runs? to get better and faster, why do I want to be better and faster? because everyone says you've got to keep getting better, but why do I want to?????.........this is the big question for me.  If I'm not enjoying it is it really a good idea.  Should I keep pushing myself and end up stopping because I'm not having fun, or should I just take it back to running for fun, and hopefully keep it up for longer....

For me I decided that there's really no reason for me to keep pushing myself - I'm not going to be doing races, so realistically I should just go for fun and then at least I'm doing something, so for me, in this aspect of my life, faster isn't better, I feel so much better having figured this out, now hopefully I can go back to running for fun and start looking forward to my runs again.....hey at least I'm actually out there, moving, doing something, that's better than feeling pressured, giving up and sitting in front of the TV.

Level 6, Ranger

Challenge I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X Current Challenge

My Sewing Blog

I think that is a really good philosophy.  I think most injuries in running can really be attributed to not listening to your bodies signals and pushing yourself too hard.  I see it all the time...people have a pace in mind and are willing to throw caution to the wind for a couple seconds whittled off their time.  Its okay to not constantly be pushing for better results.  Especially if your having a good time!  If your last name isn't Bolt, I think you can reasonably assume that the only person your run times matter to, are YOU.  :)

It's true -- a lot of the time, running is about the joy you get out of it.  You could level up your running by being faster, or you could level it up by having more fun.  Honestly, I say go for the fun every time.  Nice epiphany.

missrackl

Level 1 Rebel Reboot

Activities: cycling, running, snowshoeing

Fandoms: Rick and Morty, LotR, Thursday Next, Star Wars (of course!)

Goals: 1) Keep on running, 2) Eat on diet, 3) Read a book

Archived