Forums are back in action! ×

To the physiotherapist and back

Went to the physio* because I was bored of the Auld Knee limiting my activity: I don't want to be the guy who used to do stuff.  Turns out it's not really the knee at all - the pain is in-and-down of the knee where hamstrings and one thigh muscle attach, which has vanilla tendon overuse.  We're confirming that with lots of ice over a week.

Why are those muscles overused? It's not the Squat Of Death -- it's just lazy, lazy, forever-lazy weak glutes, particularly on that side.  I anticipate a lot of glute bridges in my future and doubtless everything that Brett Contreras has ever written.  

-- and the sad glute diagnosis fits too well with everything, from my little flat arse (no oly-lifter bubble booty) to my pedalling style (mash! smash! quad-dominant) and how antiinflammatories make all the world's woes better.  Watch me run, it looks like a wardrobe on legs. 

I'm very happy that it's not the knee - like Baz Luhrmann says, you'll miss them when they're gone.  I'm happy it's not just my silly sit-on-folded leg office habit, or just weight-related.  Most importantly, this can be trained up.  I can glute bridge my way to sky-humping a Volkswagen, it's just muscles. :D  And wow, that should make my Squat of Death enter a whole new circle of Hell.

* UK Explainer: NHS physiotherapists are free but their focus is on health, rather than performance, and there's a long wait.  It's traditional for sports problems to go to private clinics, where the cost is about £40 a session. 

It's been years - I misidentified it as a knee problem, so I was kinda hoping that after the incident that blew it, it would come back.  I think if it's a glute imbalance then it would have gone on forever at this grumbly level.

I'm bored of that...

I am in fact so impressed with my physio that I may start calling her khaleesi.  :)

Isn't it just.  Always a winner behind closed doors!

I've had the diagnosis confirmed and been given homework: unweighted bridges (and one-leg-super-slow bridges) until that's easy and smooth, then I can play.  

when you get advanced but need more, bridges on a stability ball and one leg bridges on stability ball.  That might be when you are back close to 100% - good maintenance exercises.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Diagnosis confirmed.  

I've got one-leg hip dips (kinda Romanian glute bridge: start at the top and lower), super-slow (plus a variant if I get good); toes-off knee bends to cut out my grabby-toes compensation (no wonder I love vibrams!) and horrible torso twists to open up my horrible torso.

...plus Bulgarian split squats on leg days, using the barbell to watch that everything is level; and weighted bridges for teh bootay.  

Ice as required, but should be required much less.

As is traditional for physio exercises, the first round has me cursing and drenched in sweat while looking like a landed sea creature.  :)

And now with killer booty DOMS.  Holy moly. :o

NICE!  Get yourself some BOOTY shorts ASAP

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.