Forums are back in action! ×

The New NF Website Layout

Guest asdf

I liked the Nerd influenced stuff before, the comic book fonts, the cozy feel. Now it feels real un-nerdy, kind of clinical,

Yes, exactly! Those are the perfect words to describe it! The first one felt more friendly and relaxing, like meeting with a friend. While the new layout does look more professional, it also feels more polite and proper, like meeting with a client.

The reason I was so instantly smitten by NF is because browsing the site made me feel like I was checking out a community, but now it feels more like I'm checking out a product.

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

Hey guys!

Wanted to come in here and address your issues, thoughts, concerns, and calls for death by fire.

First and foremost, I love the passion, energy, and excitement that you guys bring to Nerd Fitness.   It's what makes this community what it is. Yes, even the death threats and "F*** STEVE" emails from people who didn't realize my April Fools’ joke was joke: those things show me that you really care about this place and that it means a lot to you.

To address your first concern: yep, we're working on a few issues: namely the size/width of everything, including the big signup box/text on the homepage, headlines for articles, etc.  We're going through and making adjustments and fixing all these readability issues. Thanks for your patience as we go through that adjustment period.

Secondly, I hear your concerns about the site appearing less nerdy. It's a fine line to walk between nerdy/quirky and keeping the site simple to navigate. That said, there are tons of easter eggs, references, and homages to nerd culture through the new site, and we plan on continuing to put the nerd in Nerd Fitness now that we have a solid, simple, clean foundation upon which we can build.

The old site was a mess on the back end, many things were added in so many different ways over the course of three years that it was a nightmare and uber confusing for new people trying to figure out what the heck to do. I'm sure that sounds ridiculous to the people here who have been with the site for a long time and saw the new additions one by one as they came in.

But there are thousands and thousands and thousands of people who are finding Nerd Fitness for the first time every single day.  They come looking for answers, discouraged about their situation, without a community to support them, and unsure of what to do.  

Unfortunately, we've learned that tons of newbies were coming to Nerd Fitness but were overwhelmed by the old look, and never made it through to the articles that brought many of you here. Looking back at the old site as if I were a first time visitor, I’m not sure where I would have went first! It was pretty dang busy.

I want those who find Nerd Fitness to know EXACTLY what to do to get started, and the best way for them to do that is to join the email list - it's free. It sends them free ebooks they can read at their own pace, and it shares with them the right articles at the right time (in a specific order) so they don't get overwhelmed. Plus, it introduces them to this amazing community and helps them join up.

The home page at NerdFitness.com primarily exists for those who have never heard of NerdFitness.com.

Are you a NF veteran and not interested?  Awesome, simply set your bookmark to nerdfitness.com/blog or click on blog from nerdfitness.com, and you'll get the normal blog look! The hope was to continue to recruit newbies into the Rebellion, while still preserving the blog look that regular readers enjoy.

Now, with all of this talk about newbies, I don't want you to think we're neglecting the veterans around here. We'll continue to build and develop things for both new people and things for those of you that have helped make NF into the epic community it is today. In fact, this is one of our priorities with new articles, including content for more veteran Rebels. We would love to hear some thoughts on articles you’d like to see: PM NF team member Taylor, our Master Wordsmith, or send him an email at Taylor@nerdfitness.com and we can make it happen.  

You are the reason NF is what it is, and I am forever grateful for you helping this place go from a blog to a full blown worldwide Rebellion.  Thanks for your feedback on all of this; it’s so crucial to hear from you guys as to how we can make this place better as we move forward and the community grows.  Keep it up!

The Nerd Fitness Rebellion will change the world - it already has in small ways and will continue to do so.  As a result of us heading in the direction of World Domination (insert maniacal laugh here), Nerd Fitness is going to get bigger, and as it grows, things will change, and there will be some growing pains - change is both inevitable AND a good thing.  I know that's scary, as we all know the horror stories of businesses that get too big or sell out.  

All I can ask is that you trust me.  

A bigger community gives us (me, you, and the community) a chance to impact more lives and a chance to help more people find what we've already found (a path, a community, a sense of belonging, self confidence, and happiness)...which is what this is really all about.

I'm proud to be a rebel alongside you.

For the Rebellion!

-Steve

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

I feel like we just got our own personal blog post... as a software guy, I gotta agree with everything you are doing Steve, get it to a good point and get it out the door, then tweak and fix as your user base responds and you realize what works.  I trust to see this site improve greatly over the next year

As an end user, I want it perfect now, what's the hold up? :D

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

*.... puts away his torch and pitchfork....* 

Gah! Stop making sense Steve! 

LOLZ

I feel like we just got our own personal blog post... as a software guy, I gotta agree with everything you are doing Steve, get it to a good point and get it out the door, then tweak and fix as your user base responds and you realize what works.  I trust to see this site improve greatly over the next year

As an end user, I want it perfect now, what's the hold up? :D

Haha! Yup. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, Steve!

Now fix it yesterday! j/k ;)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our trust has never wavered! You know way, way more about what your site's needs are and how best to accomplish them than any of us front-end hooligans, so do you, player.

tumblr_m1mguynI4Q1rsvwibo1_500.gif

i was listening to a trance song when i saw this GIF, and the beat lined up perfectly with her dance. It made me spit out my coffee...and I wasn't even drinking any.  Hilarious.

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

Must our lives revolve around making newbs happy Steve? (I know, I'm a mod, so yes, at least partially)

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

HA! I lean very heavily on this GIF. Mostly because I wish I could go through life doing that exact dance. Wearing that exact outfit.

What's stopping you? I'd do it, and I'm a guy.

*.... puts away his torch and pitchfork....* 

Gah! Stop making sense Steve! 

I don't know about you, but I'll hold on to my flamethrower. Just in case of spiders. Or another reason to riot. That and it looks bad@**

Our trust has never wavered! You know way, way more about what your site's needs are and how best to accomplish them than any of us front-end hooligans, so do you, player.

tumblr_m1mguynI4Q1rsvwibo1_500.gif

This girl has some serious lumbar overextension...

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I like the mobile front page with the articles, however I would agree that on the main browser site, the part of it that looks like an advertisement is just way too big. I like the popular posts on the left hand side, because I think many of those posts in particular emphasize the main focuses here and will get new users in. I would like it better if the giant Steve "Sign up for things!!!" part was either smaller or at the bottom, or both, if it was obvious that there were a lot more articles than those linked to on the front page... I don't know, I guess I'm less of a not-fan than most people here, but there are some things I would like to see changed in emphasis.

Guest asdf

Hey guys!

Wanted to come in here and address your issues, thoughts, concerns, and calls for death by fire.

Thank you for responding, Steve. I started this thread specifically with the hope that you would see it and respond to it. After not following it for a few days I am overwhelmingly glad to see that you have. I was sincerely worried for a while you were going "corporate" on us, but the fact that you were willing to openly respond on the forum to our concerns about the recent changes to the site has settled a lot of my fears, and though I miss the old site I am willing to warm up to the redesigned one as you continue to develop it. As long as you continue to be honest with the NF community about your decisions regarding the site, address our concerns and show us like you did just now that you care, we'll be happy to stick around  :nevreness: .

Again, thanks so much for your response. MUCH appreciated.