Forums are back in action! ×

How sweet potatos much healthier than their white counterpart?

I was going to work on switching from white potatos to sweet potatos, but look at the nutrition facts for both, I'm not seeing a major difference between the two.

Is there a reason to switch from one to the other?  Or would it be better to just cut out potatos all together (or at least reduce them)?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2667/2

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

The major reason that white potatoes get 'demonized' is GI/GL which is often a poor indicator of insulin response, especially for individuals who are regularly exercising (both strength and endurance, moreso with the latter) and don't have problems with insulin sensitivity or where starch makes them want to eat more starch (variably switch "starch" for "carbs"/"carb addiction").

And even the data that suggested that potatoes have high GI/GL has been found to be rather flawed as it was mostly derived from data examining potatoes that don't even get to the market. So the difference is only slight regarding the potatoes themselves. And as Horsedog suggested it's also a question of what your goals are but I doubt there is huge caloric difference though.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

From what you posted, it looks like sweet potatoes have more fiber and higher micronutrients. I'm not sure what your goals are, but if it's to get the best "bang for your buck" so to speak, and you like potatoes, I could see why sweet potatoes would be a little better for those two reasons. But it would really all depend on your goals (are you paleo/primal, IIFYM, calorie counting, etc.) as to whether you want to keep white potatoes, substitute, or eliminate all together.

Lvl. 3 Gnome

STR - 4.25/DEX - 2.5/STA - 6.25/CON - 5.5/WIS - 9/CHA - 7.25

Tumblr

Current Challenge / Challenge 2 / Challenge 1

"She believed in dreams, alright, but she also believed in doing something about them...

When Prince Charming didn't come along, she went over to the palace and got him."

- Walt Disney

Sweet Potatoes taste better than white potatoes IMO... that's why I switched.  They are still a heavy starch though and I avoid them expect after training and on refeed days.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

The difference is rather marginal so I'd say if you don't have problems with restriction (general or carbs or the debatable 'carb addiction' aka that carbs/starch make you feel more hungry and you overeat) go with what is more convenient for you (taste, finances/proximity, makeup of the rest of your diet ect.).

Question would obviously also be as quaintly asked if you belong to any 'camp' or not. If you don't, the difference - is as said - rather marginal. Micros might be a tad different but that's easy to compensate with other foods and digestion is an individual factor with malleable variables in which it's up to you to assess (as with the other things I mentioned).

But as the old saying goes: If it ain't broken, don't fix it. If you have had no problems whatsoever with normal potatoes so far you can probably continue without problems given that you generally watch your diet. (restriction/energy equation/sufficiently versatile general diet/whatever rocks your boat ect.)

when they're better... how much better? pretty hard to quantify

Yeah.. neither one is better or worse for weight loss without regard to the context of individual circumstances and there is no sufficient empirical (moreso conclusive) data to support that hypothesis. Plus preparation matters.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

Oh sorry, I apparently misquoted you. But I would much appreciate it if you were to reply to the content of my statement and not my quoting technique as the response and content stays the same regardless of that quote.

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

Oh, I generally don't take the internet too seriously. I'm just always curious as to whether there is more to it, some people as you did simply wonder about these things - others use them to 'misdirect' and you can't really read either out of it so I'm always leaving open the possibility and just ask.  I like to have ALL THE (AVAILABLE) INFORMATION!

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge