Forums are back in action! ×

Urgh... sleep - How much is "enough"?

First a quick background: I've known for several years that I have an almost dead-on 90 minute sleep cycle.  Knowing that, I typically try to get 7.5 hours of sleep/night.  A year ago, I rebooted my sleep cycle and was hitting a consistent 7.5 hour sleep cycle the majority of the time and only rarely would cut it to 6 hours if there was something special to stay up late for...  It's honestly gotten to the point where if I sleep in, I can count on being sick in the next 24 hours.

The last few weeks, however, I've been waking up on my own after 6 hours and if I try to fall back asleep, I wind up waking up at my normal time feeling exhausted.  Since I've been working out more, I know I need my sleep for recovery, but WTF!  I don't know if I should just roll out of bed when I wake up naturally (even though my husband might kill me for getting up at 4 am) or keep trying to coax myself back to sleep in the hopes that I eventually go back to my good routine.

Thoughts?  Has anyone else had this problem?  This fatigue is killing me!

FluffyRin  --  Ranger (Level 4)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4.5 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 6

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

If you're waking up naturally after 6 hours, see if you can keep it up without affecting workouts.  Nothing says you need 7-8 hours sleep if your body's adapted to less.  Could be that since you're working out now, your body's just getting more efficient and more energy and you aren't taxing it enough to need more sleep yet.   It's really just one of those things you need to experiment on since everyone's different.

So lucky that you can sleep through a whole 6 hours without waking up! I usually wake up at least once or twice in the night. I find that on 6 - 7 hours I feel much better, even with increased exercise. Waking up that extra bit early seems to perk me up for the rest of the day.

Level 1 Adventurer :positive:

STR:6 I STA: 4 I CON: 3 I WIS: 2

If you're waking up naturally after 6 hours, see if you can keep it up without affecting workouts.  Nothing says you need 7-8 hours sleep if your body's adapted to less.  Could be that since you're working out now, your body's just getting more efficient and more energy and you aren't taxing it enough to need more sleep yet.   It's really just one of those things you need to experiment on since everyone's different.

This. Upping sleep isn't necessary, especially if it's just 1-2 hours since the regenrative part of your sleep are a mere 1~2h (averages for most people at 1.5). You could also try out naps, there are various strategies on which times are good for which activities based on sleep cycles. (longer periods for physical work, shorter ones for a general reboot/getting some energy for brain-work - especially with a 15~20 min coffee nap)

It's also pretty "normal" that you don't feel well rested if you're ripped out of your sleep after a certain time and then sleep again for another 1.5 hours, that's just enough for another sleep cycle but not really any major regeneration so you're basically just groggy when you wake up. (same thing often goes for 'badly timed' longer naps)

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

I know what you mean about feeling sick if you sleep too much. If I try to sleep more than my body wants I spend the next 24-36 hours with a headache. Listen to your body. Seven to eight hours is an average and you might just be an outlier.

If you start having other issues then see a doctor, but otherwise I'd say just enjoy your extra hour of wakefulness. :)

Thanks for the inputs everyone!  I decided to run with the 6 hours for a few days to see how it went, and it seems to be the new "normal" for me.  If I notice myself tending to sleep up to my alarm after a while, I might try shifting back to my 7.5, but for now, I guess if it works it works!

FluffyRin  --  Ranger (Level 4)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4.5 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 6

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current