Forums are back in action! ×

Defiance (The Game)

So while I was poking around in the ranger chat thread yesterday I found a person or two who was playing the Defiance MMO video game and had some pretty good things to say about it. As I was in the market for a new game after closing out AC3, I did further research, liked what I saw, and got it last night. I figured I'd post a thread on it so we can discuss it here instead of clogging up other threads randomly.

Game Description: Defiance is a 3rd person shooter MMO. Think of a less cartoony Borderlands but 3rd person, with a huge map size exceeding that of Skyrim. It's mostly based on soloing fun that doesn't require you to set aside 30-45 minutes at a time, think your usual solo questing in any MMO. Then there are random mass world events called arkfalls, a few times an hour it seems, where you can join in with everyone else running around to take down a large enemy in exchange for loot and experience.

There are other game modes that I haven't experienced yet as I'm in the very beginning and haven't gotten to that point. Those I know of are co-op missions like instances from WoW with 3-4 other players, PVP battlegrounds (team based and free for all), and a mode called Shadowland or something along those lines that you can turn on for world based PVP.

Classes: There are none. The only thing that the initial Origins (what seems like a class in character creation) do are give you your initial load out. Other than that, the classes do nothing. Customization is through the perks that you learn as you level up (there's a skill tree type grid), and what weapon type you equip and how you customize it. I haven't gotten beyond the base assault rifles yet, but there's apparently weapons that will heal others, infect and do damage over time, and other stuff beyond the typical sniper rifles, pistols, LMGs, SMGs, etc.

Install: On the Xbox you need 10GB of space currently and there will be more needed with further patches and expansions.  Luckily for me, xbox allows you to use thumb drives now, formatting them for xbox, so you can't use it for anything else, but still.  Had a $15 SanDisk 32GB drive on hand and plugged it in, works fine. it did take 2 hours to download and install everything though.

Anyway, wanted to make a thread to discuss the game, see if anyone plays it, figure it out as there's a lot to it and no real instruction manual, etc. I play on Xbox, gamertag RangeroftheWall. Going to keep a resources section below for myself and others. If I'm the only one playing and this end up just becoming a resource thread for me, so be it.

Beginner's Guide to Arkfalls

A few useful guides from Ten Ton Hammer

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

So anyone else play? What are your tactics when you go after arkfalls? Also, what perks do you like? There are so many to wrap my head around and I've only got 4 ego points (perk unlocks) so far.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Damn you Corey, now I'm going to have to buy this because it sounds like everything I want - mostly solo but with some fun co-op stuff.

I solo'd last night for 2 hours getting used to the game, took a break to do the dishes and cook a few lb of chicken real quick, then ended up getting addicted to arkfalls. They take 20-30 minutes each for the big ones with like 50 people just blowing away tons of aliens and by the time it's done, there's usually another somewhere else on the map.  You pretty much get wrapped up in doing one, then driving in a big crowd to the next, and continue to chain them together.  I actually enjoy the driving and checking out the teraformed, apacolyptic landscape, it's all pretty cool.  So yeah, got hooked on that for a few hours last night.

I image going on I'll probably be questing a lot and whenever an arkfall happens in my vicinity, go do it.  The map is really big, it took me a good 10-15 minutes to drive to one arkfall and I missed it, and it was only about 1/3 of the map away.

500 / 330 / 625

I solo'd last night for 2 hours getting used to the game, took a break to do the dishes and cook a few lb of chicken real quick, then ended up getting addicted to arkfalls. They take 20-30 minutes each for the big ones with like 50 people just blowing away tons of aliens and by the time it's done, there's usually another somewhere else on the map.  You pretty much get wrapped up in doing one, then driving in a big crowd to the next, and continue to chain them together.  I actually enjoy the driving and checking out the teraformed, apacolyptic landscape, it's all pretty cool.  So yeah, got hooked on that for a few hours last night.

I image going on I'll probably be questing a lot and whenever an arkfall happens in my vicinity, go do it.  The map is really big, it took me a good 10-15 minutes to drive to one arkfall and I missed it, and it was only about 1/3 of the map away.

How much chatter is there on the headset?

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

How much chatter is there on the headset?

I didn't have it plugged in, so I should have heard it over the tv if there was any, and there wasn't.  I know you can chat in your groups from my reading, and I imagine you can join other chats as well in the social area, I haven't checked it out yet.  It's not forced on you though.  I may need to finally get a USB keyboard with a long cord though if I get into it.

500 / 330 / 625

I didn't have it plugged in, so I should have heard it over the tv if there was any, and there wasn't.  I know you can chat in your groups from my reading, and I imagine you can join other chats as well in the social area, I haven't checked it out yet.  It's not forced on you though.  I may need to finally get a USB keyboard with a long cord though if I get into it.

Oh, that's good, so no 10 year olds screaming at you for dying or other silliness?  That is one of the things I always hated about the zombies part of COD....

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

Oh, that's good, so no 10 year olds screaming at you for dying or other silliness?  That is one of the things I always hated about the zombies part of COD....

Yeah, I really think they designed it for you to play solo as default and ease into the multiplayer parts as you like.  Everything is "off by default" kind of an idea I think.

500 / 330 / 625

We discussed your lack of a 360 already right?

500 / 330 / 625

We may have discussed my lack of a PS3, but that was recently changed when I bought a used one off craiglist so that I could play DUST 514 and Journey. Got one of the originals with 100% hardware compatibility with all of my PS1 and PS2 games :)

I've had a 360 for awhile now, but we very well may have discussed how it hasn't been turned on in over a year.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I see. You should get defiance for that so it can get some work in. Wifery is taking a grad class this summer that has her busy every Tuesday, Wednesday, and msot Thursday nights.

500 / 330 / 625

So, I've been avoiding it because I don't truly love MMOs, I like to solo when I game, it is my escape from other people (hell being other people and all that), but from what I read on the Ranger board and what you have posted here Corey, sounds like I can do a lot of soloing and since I'm kind of in a game vacuum again, I might just take the dive.  I honestly think the tv show kind of sucks (though I still watch it), so wasn't sure how the game would hold up.

Why do you need a keyboard BTW?  For Defiance?  I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Messenger-Kit/dp/B000UN3UDQ/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1370620169&sr=8-13&keywords=xbox+keyboard and I love it.

Melissa (SMITMK)Newb

Current Challenge"It wouldn't be the high road if it was easy." - Commander Shephard, S.S.V. Normandy

Because I have big meat hands and that has tiny, closely packed buttons.  thank god for iphone auto correct. You should see me try to use a blackberry, it's hilarious.

But yeah, I've done a bunch of world events and have yet had to interact with anyone. I figured out where to join random voice chats, clan chats, or area chats (people in the same area as you), gonna try it tomorrow (plan on playing 4-5 hours while wife is out doing maid of honor stuff) and see what the community is like.

So, one of the things I was doing yesterday was looking at drop rates.  Specifically, there are these things called lock boxes. You trade things called keycodes, which are gathered from completing quests and world events, in for a lockbox and they have items in them.  There are different tiers of lock box (tiers 2, 3, and 4, don't know what happened to 1), the more expensive ones having better probabilities for rarer, better items. The community has slowly been figuring out the drop rates for the different rarity levels and I did a bunch of nerdy number crunching to figure out which tier is best to buy, whether it be cheap ones in bulk, or much fewer more expensive ones.

The 5 rarity levels are white (crap), green, blue, purple, orange. Turns out, if you are going for purples and blues, like if you are just gearing up or want a bunch of pretty good stuff, it's best to go for tier 3, best odds of getting something good for a given amount of currency.  It's not until you want to go for oranges (only a 4-6% chance) that you go for the top one for the odds. Anyway, just pointing out that I'm already geeking out and becoming an optimization fool.

500 / 330 / 625

Because I have big meat hands and that has tiny, closely packed buttons.  thank god for iphone auto correct. You should see me try to use a blackberry, it's hilarious.

ROFL!!!  big meat hands, love it!  

And I love the stats geekout on loot returns.   I have been fighting all week with my Health Savings Account (HSA) folks over a bill they should have reimbursed, and I thought I was loosing the battle but just saw they deposited $150 in my bank account... perhaps this is a sign that I should buy a new game on my way home tonight!?!?!

Melissa (SMITMK)Newb

Current Challenge"It wouldn't be the high road if it was easy." - Commander Shephard, S.S.V. Normandy

ROFL!!!  big meat hands, love it!  

And I love the stats geekout on loot returns.   I have been fighting all week with my Health Savings Account (HSA) folks over a bill they should have reimbursed, and I thought I was loosing the battle but just saw they deposited $150 in my bank account... perhaps this is a sign that I should buy a new game on my way home tonight!?!?!

It is, make sure you have 10 GB of memory and 2 hours to install and patch if you do this one on the XBOX.

500 / 330 / 625

I'll friend request you, might not be on again until Tuesday might though, gottaow the lawn tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

500 / 330 / 625

Yeah, I initially oredered on amazon then decided I didn't want to wait the 8-10 days (not a prime member) and cancelled, picked it up on the way home from work that night from Wallyworld.

500 / 330 / 625

Yeah, I initially oredered on amazon then decided I didn't want to wait the 8-10 days (not a prime member) and cancelled, picked it up on the way home from work that night from Wallyworld.

I am at least a prime member, so it is quick.  I actually forgot my mom got me an Amazon gift card for my birthday last month and I haven't used it, so I'm going to wait until I get home and order it.  Should have it before the weekend, super psyched!!!  I've been bored and playing Skyrim, again, for the like 3,456th hour....

Melissa (SMITMK)Newb

Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing tonight. The damn grind of getting keycodes and trading them in for a lottery box (lockbox) and hoping for epic wapons has gotten addicting.  I can't wait to get my first orange.  I like assault rifles, LMGs and shotguns and finally got my first purple (1 step below orange) shotgun and am in the process of beginning to upgrade it.

500 / 330 / 625