Forums are back in action! ×

And so it begins...

Hello to anybody who comes across this :)

Well, I guess I'll just get the ball rolling here...

I StumbledUpon Nerd Fitness on, yep, you guessed it, StumbleUpon. It intrigued me, for I classify myself as a nerd and I am also interested in fitness, so it seemed pretty perfect... upon further investigation, I found that this realm of people had a promising effect on the journey I am about ot embark on, so here I am.

I'm lazy. So lazy. I fall off diets and programs all of the time, attributing it to "lack of time" or whining how I had "one bad day, so I'll just start tomorrow," which never comes. I am disorganized and unmotivated most of the time, but somehow I've managed to do very well in school and maintain my body to some degree.

I'm pretty young, but have struggled with weight and body image all of my life. I should be happy and having the best years of my life, but I found I'm sluggish and depressed most of the time.

After being diagnosed with a gluten allergy, I committed myself earlier this year to the Paleo diet and I diligently ran and worked out every day. I've lost a total of about 15 pounds since late February, and I feel better than ever. However, I, again, fell off the wagon and my exercising slowed to a halt. I realized that through my lack of exercise, it was my muscle weight I was losing instead of the stubborn fat, muscles I had trained so hard to sculpt. From there, I proceeded to intermittently workout, experimenting with workout DVDs and YouTube videos, but they had minimal effect in regulating my weight. I more recently joined a yoga class, which, for the 4 sessions I attended, seemed to do wonders, until the teacher moved away and now I have been left yoga-less.

I like to think it's not my fault that I'm in this situation in the first place: my mother is overweight, as well as many of my other family members. And I fear I will fall into their footsteps and pass those neglected lessons onto my children. I have never been taught how to eat healthily and exercise regularly. But here I am, able to go and buy things I need for a beneficial diet and again I make excuses.

All of this I plan to, and will, change.

I don't aim to lose weight alone, but I also strive to build a hefty amount of muscle in the process. Nothing too severe, I am a bit nervous to become one of those women who become super bulky and whatnot. I would like to be able to one day gain some sort of upper body strength and tone up my legs, both of which I'm extremely embarrassed of.

My goals for the next six weeks are:

1. Lose 10 pounds

2. 100 push up/100 sit up set capabilities

3. Squat 300 pounds

4. De-clutter my room daily/an hour of chores or outside work a day

Archived