Forums are back in action! ×

Are you running on grease?

I ride on grease.  Salami actually.  I would recommend it if you are doing endurance activities past the point where your sugar-burning is enough.  I'm going to butcher the terminolgy here, but basically if you eat a "balanced" diet, your body burns thorugh the carbs and digests fat and protein in the background.  If you run, burn all your carbs, and don't have the fat/protein burning part running nice and strong before you run out of sugar, then you bonk.  Basically when you bonk you could eat all the fat/protein you want, but your blood sugar is soo low and you are sooo out of energy and glycogen stores that your are basically screwed for hours.  I have found that by eating only a little sugar and a lot of fat/protein while riding staves off the bonk way better. 

Timing is important too.  I can "carry" two hours of energy fine.  It's after the 2.5 hour threshold that things get ugly if I haven't eaten.  Eating only sugar on a long ride just makes me yo-yo.  Hard salami cut into squares is awesome.  The fat melts a little in the summer, but not too bad.

Watch out.  Glycogen stores take days to bounce back from a bad bonk.