Forums are back in action! ×

Veteran trying to get into fighting shape

Hi everyone. My name's Justin. I'm not one to sign up for these kinds of things, but NF seems straight up my alley. I've always thought there was an unfortunate dichotomy between the intellectually elite (or perhaps intellectually enthusiastic), and the physically fit. Seeing people interested in exercise, who also know that it's vital to get the Underwater Materia before you face Emerald Weapon, is a breath of fresh air.

I'm no stranger to weight loss. I weighed about 235 as a junior in High School, not barely a scrap of muscle in there. Dropped down to 165 (through a diet know as "starvation") by my freshman year in college. Then continued to yo-yo Oprah style through a 7 year enlistment in the US Navy.

Now I'm a civilian, and committed to keeping a more even keel. I picked up the Paleo diet a few months back, and even gave up my beloved alcoholic beverages.

I'm trying to work in what the guide calls "Ranger" Class. I'm most accustomed to body weight exercises. I'm pretty fond of climbing too. But the word 'jack of all trades' suits me best, since I'll do Yoga, a long run, or a dead lift depending on my mood (and if my back isn't angry at me.)

I'm just dipping my toe in the nerd fitness water at the moment, but I'm excited about the prospect of connecting with such a fascinating community.

Welcome aboard!  Lots of sea-service in my family; my father and brother were sailors and I'm married to a retired Marine.  Glad you found us and paleo; a much better option then starvation.  We are winding up week 2 of the current 6-week challenge, but you can join anyway if you like.  You can either dive into the ranger's guild right away, or get your feet wet in the adventurers guild.  Click on the 6 week challenge and head for the FAQs for more info.  If you'd like to run your goals past me, feel free. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived