Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from happy and sunny place called Scotland!

Hello fellow nerds! :redface-new: (sorry for a long post in advance. If you don't want to read everything, there is one little question in the end.)

It was really sunny in Scotland today (honest). I'm Laura, I'm 22. Nice to meet you all! I've been lurking here for the past couple of days and slowly falling in love with everything in here.

Here's how it's going for me at the moment: I'm 173cm (or 5'8'') and I recently weighted myself for the first time in 3 years - 90kg (198 lbs? that's what google says). That was a bit of a shock.

Since March, I've been going to the gym 5 times a week. Thinking that cardio is the way to go, I've been spending 50min on a stationary bike (with interval or strenght training, so not that bad). Then I'd go swimming for 1,5-2km. I was swimming professionally when I was at school so I'd do different training sessions to keep myself interested. Recently I started cycling everywhere, I cycle maybe 8 or more miles every day. Before I started tracking my food and actually looking at what I eat, I had no idea how many calories I consume. Turns out, a lot. That's why I haven't been seeing any results so far. I used to 'reward' myself with treats. Well, you know. Never a good idea.

After that, I think I 'accidentally' started 90% Paleo diet before I even knew it existed - I just started checking sugar and calories on the labels. Diet isn't a problem for me - I love vegetables and meat! And I honestly don't like junk food, soft drinks and sweets that much; I think I ate them because everyone else did. The only issue now is getting rid of all the grains that I have at home. I'll do it eventually, but I just can't throw the food away.

Today, I finally took another challenge and went to the kettlebells class in my gym. I was always so afraid to go there (never lifted any weights, I don't look as fit as everyone else there etc). I'm dying at the moment. I look like a 90 year old when I try to sit down. I LOVED it! Now THIS is a challenging exercise, unlike cycling for 50min and staring at the wall in front of me. I started with a pink 8kg (17,6 lbs) kettlebell and I can't wait to be strong enough to lift a white 10kg one. I'm thinking of ditching the stationary bike, keeping swimming and going to kettlebells class 2-3 times per week. What do you think?

As of other things, I'm a huge book nerd (let me know if you're on Goodreads!). Currently I'm reading a 4th book of asoiaf series, couple of books by Neil Gaiman (I love his work) and some non-fiction. I draw and write. I got a new laptop recently and Skyrim was the first game I've played in maybe 10 years. It's so beautiful in there! 

So, here I am. Shiny happy Laura. I took a photo of myself yesterday. Can't wait to see some changes in a month or so. I came here to find some like-minded people. None of my friends or family are that into sports and (especially) healthy eating. You guys inspired me so much already! One day, I hope to be the one who inspires others.

Thanks for reading! :) Please be gentle.

P.S. OK so I might have one question: how many calories per day is not enough to be healthy with my lifestyle? I don't want to be starving myself but I feel really full even if I eat 1000 cal per day. I try to listen to my body but I'm confused. 

Hi Laura :)

Fellow UK'er here (although not Scotland)! Same as you, brand newbie here!

I also swim too, so we could always swap swim sessions? And I too love kettlebells when I can join in :) Have you tried any martial arts at all? I find they're quite fun for cardio and flexibility!!

So here's to it! Good luck!!

(ps I also struggle with the calorie lark. I've been told a lot of the reason I struggle is because I don't eat enough, but I struggle to eat the fill of calories I need to)

,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸-(_ ღ✰уσυ ѕтιℓℓ нανє ÑƒÏƒÏ…Ñ âˆ‚Ñєαмѕ.. × Ï…Ñ•Ñ‚ ÑÑ”Ð¼Ñ”Ð¼Ð²Ñ”Ñ Ï‰Ð½Î±Ñ‚ тнєу мєαη✰ღ_)-,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸

Yay for trying something new.  1,000 calories isn't really enough.  At your size I'd be trying for around 1,500.  A fairly easy way to add a few calories is to add some nuts or nut butter to your snacks, add an avocado if you can get them, or put some olive oil on your veggies and salads.  By the way, oil with your veggies helps in the absorbsion of some nutrients too. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Skyrim is still fun for me too. lol

I'm glad you found an exercise program you enjoy. Makes getting in shape a lot less tedious. Good luck and keep it up! =)

Hi Laura :)

Fellow UK'er here (although not Scotland)! Same as you, brand newbie here!

I also swim too, so we could always swap swim sessions? And I too love kettlebells when I can join in :) Have you tried any martial arts at all? I find they're quite fun for cardio and flexibility!!

So here's to it! Good luck!!

(ps I also struggle with the calorie lark. I've been told a lot of the reason I struggle is because I don't eat enough, but I struggle to eat the fill of calories I need to)

Hi! How did you find NF? Ironically, I found it while googling which cardio burns most calories or something like that :D. I'm still quite lost in here - there is so much to read/try/do. 

Cool sure we can do that, how much do you swim per day/week? Most of my sessions are in my head as I abandoned swimming this week a little, trying out other new things... I'm just glad it's summer holidays (I'm at uni) so I can plan my day around gym classes. What martial arts do you do? I think I'll try something in a couple months time, once I feel confident with my fitness level. I'm taking things one step at the time.

About calories, try what Laureleye suggested maybe? I'm definitely buying me some nuts and nuts butter!

Good luck to you too! (I remember reading your post yesterday. Did you find any solutions to sugar craving?)

Yay for trying something new.  1,000 calories isn't really enough.  At your size I'd be trying for around 1,500.  A fairly easy way to add a few calories is to add some nuts or nut butter to your snacks, add an avocado if you can get them, or put some olive oil on your veggies and salads.  By the way, oil with your veggies helps in the absorbsion of some nutrients too. 

Nom nom avocados. Your suggestion was really helpful actually, since I didn't even know that nut butter existed. Thanks! :)

Skyrim is still fun for me too. lol

I'm glad you found an exercise program you enjoy. Makes getting in shape a lot less tedious. Good luck and keep it up! =)

Hi fellow newbie! In Skyrim, most of the time I just wander around looking at things haha. I'm terrible at actually gaming but I guess I'll have to level up eventually. Same as in real life  :peaceful: Any other games you could recommend? If you know something that doesn't involve much violence/horror.

I think it's pointless to do something that you don't enjoy! Even if while swimming I think 'I hate this', as soon as I'm finished I feel very happy.

Hi! How did you find NF? Ironically, I found it while googling which cardio burns most calories or something like that :D. I'm still quite lost in here - there is so much to read/try/do. 

Cool sure we can do that, how much do you swim per day/week? Most of my sessions are in my head as I abandoned swimming this week a little, trying out other new things... I'm just glad it's summer holidays (I'm at uni) so I can plan my day around gym classes. What martial arts do you do? I think I'll try something in a couple months time, once I feel confident with my fitness level. I'm taking things one step at the time.

About calories, try what Laureleye suggested maybe? I'm definitely buying me some nuts and nuts butter!

Good luck to you too! (I remember reading your post yesterday. Did you find any solutions to sugar craving?)

I found NF through a friend when he linked me to some paleo diets and information! Definitely a lot to try and learn up on and take in.

I only swim once or twice a week due to work commitments (just finished uni!) and am going to be replacing one of those sessions with a masters session in the local club.

I do judo :) which is full body contact so tends to put people off, but I prefer it over karate or ju-jitsu or anything like that. For me, it teaches me what to do if someone is coming towards me, as well as help with flexibility, and is good cardio without all the running and stuff. If you find a good club, they should be easy with you and take everything into consideration.

I'm trying to eat an apple every time I feel I want chocolate.. And drinking carbonated water instead of cola/soda etc. Nuts/Nut butter are a bit out of the question for me unfortunately. 

,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸-(_ ღ✰уσυ ѕтιℓℓ нανє ÑƒÏƒÏ…Ñ âˆ‚Ñєαмѕ.. × Ï…Ñ•Ñ‚ ÑÑ”Ð¼Ñ”Ð¼Ð²Ñ”Ñ Ï‰Ð½Î±Ñ‚ тнєу мєαη✰ღ_)-,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸

the majority of this threads title is obviously a lie... :P heya! i'm from the similarly Sunny Scunny :D, good luck with the lifting of the pink things, i was into skyrim until a few months ago, but i have phases with things like that, it took up far too much time lol

Forgot to mention that I attempt to do kettlebells, but due to an irregular work shift it doesn't always happen, but I am totally taken with it!

I found NF through a friend when he linked me to some paleo diets and information! Definitely a lot to try and learn up on and take in.

I only swim once or twice a week due to work commitments (just finished uni!) and am going to be replacing one of those sessions with a masters session in the local club.

I do judo :) which is full body contact so tends to put people off, but I prefer it over karate or ju-jitsu or anything like that. For me, it teaches me what to do if someone is coming towards me, as well as help with flexibility, and is good cardio without all the running and stuff. If you find a good club, they should be easy with you and take everything into consideration.

I'm trying to eat an apple every time I feel I want chocolate.. And drinking carbonated water instead of cola/soda etc. Nuts/Nut butter are a bit out of the question for me unfortunately. 

Forgot to mention that I attempt to do kettlebells, but due to an irregular work shift it doesn't always happen, but I am totally taken with it!

I always wanted to be a swim instructor! I think it's a second option for me in case I fail my current studies :D Do you work with kids or with adults?

Congrats on finishing uni! 

Again, I always wanted to try something with martial arts but never felt confident enough. I think I'll stick to my strength/cardio for now, get into proper shape and then try something new again. I like trying out new things.

I know it's not paleo, but I like those frozen whole green beans because you can just boil them and eat them in front of TV instead of eating crisps or chips. 

Kettlebells are great fun, right! I don't know why I enjoy torturing myself but I like them haha.

the majority of this threads title is obviously a lie... :tongue: heya! i'm from the similarly Sunny Scunny :D, good luck with the lifting of the pink things, i was into skyrim until a few months ago, but i have phases with things like that, it took up far too much time lol

I know, it's raining at the moment... :/ Thanks, I feel like I'm in a Barbie world when use them. I can't wait to be strong enough to lift heavier things. 

About Skyrim... I think there's something wrong with me, I just can't get addicted to games whatsoever :D. It's nice and all but I always feel like I'm wasting my time gaming. So I don't play anything that much.

I always wanted to be a swim instructor! I think it's a second option for me in case I fail my current studies :D Do you work with kids or with adults?

Congrats on finishing uni! 

Again, I always wanted to try something with martial arts but never felt confident enough. I think I'll stick to my strength/cardio for now, get into proper shape and then try something new again. I like trying out new things.

I know it's not paleo, but I like those frozen whole green beans because you can just boil them and eat them in front of TV instead of eating crisps or chips. 

Kettlebells are great fun, right! I don't know why I enjoy torturing myself but I like them haha.

I'm a bit of a water baby! My mum's a swimming teacher, and I've been swimming since I was a baba. Did county's and synchronised swimming (which you should so totally try - brilliant for improving CV). I work with both :) and all abilities and special needs too :) very very rewarding. Keeps me in the sport but without too much strenuous activity ;) But can't wait to join the masters! That will be incredibly hard work!

Thanks on the uni, when do you finish?

Aww, well fingers crossed and good luck for when you do feel a bit stronger and stuff. I think you'll love it. There's so many to choose from, so it really is your oyster :) If you're that worried, Thai Chi is extremely good and is more about peace and tranquillity, which is lovely. Very calming.

Ooh, hadn't thought of that. I like munching on sweet potato chips (just cut up, seasoned and thrown in the oven) or roasted asparagus!

Love the kettlebells! My instructor down here is an absolute beast! As soon as I get back from holiday (I go on Saturday) I will be hitting everything with a vengeance! 

I'm a bit of a water baby! My mum's a swimming teacher, and I've been swimming since I was a baba. Did county's and synchronised swimming (which you should so totally try - brilliant for improving CV). I work with both :) and all abilities and special needs too :) very very rewarding. Keeps me in the sport but without too much strenuous activity ;) But can't wait to join the masters! That will be incredibly hard work!

Thanks on the uni, when do you finish?

Aww, well fingers crossed and good luck for when you do feel a bit stronger and stuff. I think you'll love it. There's so many to choose from, so it really is your oyster :) If you're that worried, Thai Chi is extremely good and is more about peace and tranquillity, which is lovely. Very calming.

Ooh, hadn't thought of that. I like munching on sweet potato chips (just cut up, seasoned and thrown in the oven) or roasted asparagus!

Love the kettlebells! My instructor down here is an absolute beast! As soon as I get back from holiday (I go on Saturday) I will be hitting everything with a vengeance! 

Have a good time on your holidays!! You'll definitely have a lot of new energy after you get back.

By the way, there is a forum section on swimming in this forum, they have whole topic dedicated to masters swimming sessions, check it out if you ever need an inspiration. Yeah I did my fair share of 8 years in swimming. Loved and hated every single minute of it :D Still miss it sometimes. It's not the same when you're training on your own. Your team is one of the best parts. I'm hoping to join my swimming spots club at uni next year. I hope they'll take me haha.

I've got two more years to go (and possibly more). I like being a student :D 

Oh I've tried (and enjoyed) Tai Chi, it's very good for you memory too :D I'll definitely do something once I look in the mirror and decide 'ok so you look as good as those other people at the gym'. The problem with me is that I am quite fit and have some muscle but I also have some unnecessary fat that's hiding my muscle and I look like I never stepped a foot into gym in my life. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating but that's how I feel. I honestly don't care about my weight and being a certain size, I just want to look fitter. Hope I make sense :) So that's what I'm working on. I had a pizza today, boo me.

Ola :)

Sorry it's been a while! Had a wicked time in Ibiza :) 

Been a bit of a lazy week this week, trying to get back into the swing of things, and working silly hours. I'm trying to concentrate on my diet, because at the end of the day, that is what is letting me down I think. I can always improve on my fitness/physical side of it, but I think I've cracked it to a point. And we all know that diet is 70% of it :/

Thanks for pointing me that way, I'll go have a looksie in a bit. Came across two really nice short sets the other day which I'm liking at the moment - Need to get a swimp3!! But yeah, I know exactly what you mean, I did it for about the same time, and the team spirit was so much better than being on your own. Even when I did synchro, I was always a solo girl rather than a team and it made me feel a bit poo :( Good luck with the uni swim team! Let me know how you get on :)

>> I'll definitely do something once I look in the mirror and decide 'ok so you look as good as those other people at the gym'. The problem with me is that I am quite fit and have some muscle but I also have some unnecessary fat that's hiding my muscle and I look like I never stepped a foot into gym in my life. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating but that's how I feel. I honestly don't care about my weight and being a certain size, I just want to look fitter. Hope I make sense :) So that's what I'm working on. I had a pizza today, boo me.<<

Again, on this, I know exactly what you mean. When I was younger, I did squads 5 times a week, synchro 3 times a week, judo twice a week, gymnastics and trampolining. And even then, I was always pudgy :/ definitely had muscle and strength, but didn't look like it, and it's the same now, and I hate it :/ Covered in a layer of podge, with a bit of a spare tyre, and next to no muscle definition :/ I am trying hard not to be weight concious (being the heaviest I've ever been, but not feeling as heavy as when I moved home from uni and was actually lighter than what I am now!!!), but being 4'11 the tiniest bit of weight looks massive! And technically being obese on the bias BMI scale! I feel like I have a skinny face and a fat girl body :/

Hiya! Just a quick hello from Fort William in NW Scotland (and its still sunny, yay!) Hope you've found some good advice/support on the site, I know I have :) Good luck with the kettle bells, I do weights training 3 times a week and I love it! Can't recommend it enough. Ive been at it for a year but now I can nearly deadlift my body weight. Woohoo! (Feels really good) ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hiya! Just a quick hello from Fort William in NW Scotland (and its still sunny, yay!) Hope you've found some good advice/support on the site, I know I have :) Good luck with the kettle bells, I do weights training 3 times a week and I love it! Can't recommend it enough. Ive been at it for a year but now I can nearly deadlift my body weight. Woohoo! (Feels really good) ;)

Wooot! I just came back from Fort William yesterday! 

I finally found time to get an appointment with a trainer next week so I'll be starting to lift soon :) It's awesome to find other females who are big fans of weight training. I find that most of my friends in real life don't understand my wish to lift heavy. I can't wait to show them that stereotypes are wrong. 

Ola :)

Sorry it's been a while! Had a wicked time in Ibiza :)

Been a bit of a lazy week this week, trying to get back into the swing of things, and working silly hours. I'm trying to concentrate on my diet, because at the end of the day, that is what is letting me down I think. I can always improve on my fitness/physical side of it, but I think I've cracked it to a point. And we all know that diet is 70% of it :/

Thanks for pointing me that way, I'll go have a looksie in a bit. Came across two really nice short sets the other day which I'm liking at the moment - Need to get a swimp3!! But yeah, I know exactly what you mean, I did it for about the same time, and the team spirit was so much better than being on your own. Even when I did synchro, I was always a solo girl rather than a team and it made me feel a bit poo :( Good luck with the uni swim team! Let me know how you get on :)

>> I'll definitely do something once I look in the mirror and decide 'ok so you look as good as those other people at the gym'. The problem with me is that I am quite fit and have some muscle but I also have some unnecessary fat that's hiding my muscle and I look like I never stepped a foot into gym in my life. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating but that's how I feel. I honestly don't care about my weight and being a certain size, I just want to look fitter. Hope I make sense :) So that's what I'm working on. I had a pizza today, boo me.<<

Again, on this, I know exactly what you mean. When I was younger, I did squads 5 times a week, synchro 3 times a week, judo twice a week, gymnastics and trampolining. And even then, I was always pudgy :/ definitely had muscle and strength, but didn't look like it, and it's the same now, and I hate it :/ Covered in a layer of podge, with a bit of a spare tyre, and next to no muscle definition :/ I am trying hard not to be weight concious (being the heaviest I've ever been, but not feeling as heavy as when I moved home from uni and was actually lighter than what I am now!!!), but being 4'11 the tiniest bit of weight looks massive! And technically being obese on the bias BMI scale! I feel like I have a skinny face and a fat girl body :/

I just came back from my holidays as well :) Didn't go as far as you did though, just Highlands. How was your diet during the holidays? I'm asking because mine was really bad :D Trying to get back on track now...

Oh I know that feeling (looking as if you haven't trained a single day in your life). I'm hoping the healthy and proper diet will change this, as I never actually concentrated on my diet before. We'll see how it goes :)

Archived