Forums are back in action! ×

hello all! heres an overview of what i bring to the table, where i've been, and where im hoping to go.

Nerdiness: Im a voracious reader. i play video games on my ps3. i play board games and card games. im a lab analyst. and i have a mildly embarrassing obsession with disney movies, animations, manga, firefly, ect. and i enjoy singing really loudly in the car.

"Athletic" history: i taught swimming lessons for 7 years, and took a year of that to figure out how to swim butterfly without looking like i was drowning (the indicator being that lifeguards stopped asking if i was okay....or if i needed help. just kidding. most of my peers just sat on the edge and chuckled. always glad to be of entertainment.). i was a powerlifter in High school, enjoying deadlift the most. at my best- i could deadlift 215lbs. after reading born to run a year or so ago- i became a runner. i enjoyed 5k's for quite some time until i inexplicably hurt my left foot. no really- no idea what happened. could be a stress fracture. could be a tendon. could be aliens. x ray showed nothing. so...with instructions to baby my foot *humph* i thought i'd try body weight exercises and weight lifting. i also played coed roller hockey, soccer and such like but nothing really fit until swimming.

Battle Strategy: i initially planned on working out in the morning so that i wasnt able to just sit on my butt afterwards. however, i recently purchased a new bed and its the most comfortable cloud....er - bed ive ever slept on. getting up earlier than absolutely necessary is now much more difficult. i swear- gravity increased. i stand all day at work (and essentially run around like a chicken with my head cut off) and when i get back home im tired. i also bike to and from work the days weather permits.

lurking around the site here, i discovered the basic body weight exercises. i'm going to work that as a circuit. and during my stretches- im going to work on being able to do the splits. (since it really only adds 4 mins to the stretch time im not overly worried about this) i planned on viewing the NF vids for proper form on lifting so that i dont injure myself. its been awhile since high school power lifting and i cant promise that i remember how to do it correctly.

Any advice? Strategies? good books to read? =)

see you on the interwebs...

[*]Mindelan

[*]Class&Profession: Human Ranger

[*]Current Attributes

[*]Strength: 2  Dexterity: 3

[*]Stamina: 2  Constitution: 1

[*]Wisdom: 4  Charisma: 3

[*]Goals:  Bike to work 4/5 days a week. do the splits. Get my deadlift back up over 200lbs- with the ultimate goal of 250lbs. Increase my strength and muscle definition. 

[*] 

I hate morning workouts myself, even though I don't sleep in.  My strategy is to do my workout the instant I get home.  No email, no texts; lace up my shoes and work out. 

Don't be afraid to reduce the number of reps on the body weight exercises when you first start out & limit to two or three times a week.  WIth your other activity, I don't know that you need much more. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

hello all! heres an overview of what i bring to the table, where i've been, and where im hoping to go.

Nerdiness: Im a voracious reader. i play video games on my ps3. i play board games and card games. im a lab analyst. and i have a mildly embarrassing obsession with disney movies, animations, manga, firefly, ect. and i enjoy singing really loudly in the car.

"Athletic" history: i taught swimming lessons for 7 years, and took a year of that to figure out how to swim butterfly without looking like i was drowning (the indicator being that lifeguards stopped asking if i was okay....or if i needed help. just kidding. most of my peers just sat on the edge and chuckled. always glad to be of entertainment.). i was a powerlifter in High school, enjoying deadlift the most. at my best- i could deadlift 215lbs. after reading born to run a year or so ago- i became a runner. i enjoyed 5k's for quite some time until i inexplicably hurt my left foot. no really- no idea what happened. could be a stress fracture. could be a tendon. could be aliens. x ray showed nothing. so...with instructions to baby my foot *humph* i thought i'd try body weight exercises and weight lifting. i also played coed roller hockey, soccer and such like but nothing really fit until swimming.

Battle Strategy: i initially planned on working out in the morning so that i wasnt able to just sit on my butt afterwards. however, i recently purchased a new bed and its the most comfortable cloud....er - bed ive ever slept on. getting up earlier than absolutely necessary is now much more difficult. i swear- gravity increased. i stand all day at work (and essentially run around like a chicken with my head cut off) and when i get back home im tired. i also bike to and from work the days weather permits.

lurking around the site here, i discovered the basic body weight exercises. i'm going to work that as a circuit. and during my stretches- im going to work on being able to do the splits. (since it really only adds 4 mins to the stretch time im not overly worried about this) i planned on viewing the NF vids for proper form on lifting so that i dont injure myself. its been awhile since high school power lifting and i cant promise that i remember how to do it correctly.

Any advice? Strategies? good books to read? =)

see you on the interwebs...

What are your goals? Weight loss, increase of muscularity, run faster, stretch further, etc?

Renegade: thanks! i planned on writing down how many reps i could accomplish in how many circuits. i have a hard time remembering what i have accomplished, and only remembering the things i wanted to do but didnt for whatever reason. I think seeing my numbers go up over time will be motivating =)

Jetikus: hmmm...i guess i put them on my profile and forgot to put them here. the broad picture is id like to be better, stronger, faster. (now i have that song in my head- huzzah) but if i think about what would determine that for me, it comes down to being able to lift more, and being able to see muscle definition. i'd love to be able to run again too but for now- lifting and decreasing my overall body fat are my goals.

if lifting a specific amount is a necessary goal, i'd like to be able to deadlifft over two hundred again. i'd also like to use more than a ten pound free weight when working my arms or legs. and as long as im adding to my pile of goals- being able to do a handstand and the splits again would be freaking fantastic. but ive read the cautionary words of how many goals to focus on at once as well. so im trying to temper my enthusiasm with realism. :joyous:

[*]Mindelan

[*]Class&Profession: Human Ranger

[*]Current Attributes

[*]Strength: 2  Dexterity: 3

[*]Stamina: 2  Constitution: 1

[*]Wisdom: 4  Charisma: 3

[*]Goals:  Bike to work 4/5 days a week. do the splits. Get my deadlift back up over 200lbs- with the ultimate goal of 250lbs. Increase my strength and muscle definition. 

[*] 

Archived