Forums are back in action! ×

^Like.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'd b dominate if I cood only rite gooder.

But I reely could care less.

Supposably, for all intensive purposes, gooder riting makes u look less dummer.

BRB, need 2 go git sum new close, loosed sum more wait.  Bulking soon tho, so the point is prolly mute.

You win. :triumphant:

May I take a second to complain about a pronunciation that drives me crazy?  It's Familiar not Fermiliar, now go home and cry to your fermily!

I don't know that I've heard that particular pronunciation, but I'd have assumed it was the product some regionally specific accent.  It's not?

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

Guest Dirty Deads

I don't know that I've heard that particular pronunciation, but I'd have assumed it was the product some regionally specific accent.  It's not?

It is, sometimes. I can forgive the Jewish people. The ones I can't are the lazy tongued American youth that do it out of ignorance. Maybe I'm just pissed that teachers aren't teaching kids to be articulate anymore. The teachers teach English and if the kid passes tests, their job is done.

Maybe I'm just an ass. Also sentence fragments. Run on sentences are the bane of my existence as well and kids these days don't have the slightest clue how to use punctuation and they write like this and the teachers pass them I'm like wtf

Then, I get pissed off at myself when I go back and proofread something I've written and it was seen by people before I can change it.

What about the younger generation verbalizing short-hand txt language

For fucks fake, they're atrophying their BRAINS!! 

"Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts -- it's what you do with what you have left."

- Hubert H. Humphrey

Azer - Ranger - (STR) 3 (DEX) 2 (STA) 2 (CON) 3 (WIS) 3 (CHA) 2

Level 1

Battle Log ∙ Tumblr ∙ Instagram ∙ Twitter

:numbness: and they wonder why adults wont take them seriously :hopelessness:

In my most recent college class the instructor actually had to educate the class in a quick grammar lesson; "u" is not an acceptable abbreviation for the word you.

I had to wrap my brain around that - people turned in papers with u in place of you.

That, to me, is like nails on a chalkboard - once you're done covering your face you want to punch the douche bag that stole your sanity.

"Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts -- it's what you do with what you have left."

- Hubert H. Humphrey

Azer - Ranger - (STR) 3 (DEX) 2 (STA) 2 (CON) 3 (WIS) 3 (CHA) 2

Level 1

Battle Log ∙ Tumblr ∙ Instagram ∙ Twitter

Maybe it's just in my area, but people that don't pronounce the second "T" in Bottle.

Some even pronounce it Bockle.

I have an annoying thing where I can point out spelling mistakes in an article without really reading it. I proof check all the management reports at work now because of it.

Also changing the old "They're, there and their" mistakes

Dark Elf Monk (Level 1)

| Str 2 | Dex 2 | Sta 2 | Con 3 | Wis 3 | Cha 3 |

Twitter: @MrDanMellor

My biggest pet peeve..."Orientate"

It's not a word! It's Orient, Oriented, Orientation, Orienting...there is NO FUNCTIONAL USE in adding an extra "ate" to the end!

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

Guest Dirty Deads

It's not a word! It's Orient, Oriented, Orientation, Orienting...there is NO FUNCTIONAL USE in adding an extra "ate" to the end!

You'll have to take that one up w/ the Brits.

:numbness: and they wonder why adults wont take them seriously :hopelessness:

In my most recent college class the instructor actually had to educate the class in a quick grammar lesson; "u" is not an acceptable abbreviation for the word you.

I had to wrap my brain around that - people turned in papers with u in place of you.

That, to me, is like nails on a chalkboard - once you're done covering your face you want to punch the douche bag that stole your sanity.

Thru... my teachers almost always spell it like this- I didn't know it wasn't spelled like that for a long time.  I felt cheated- even my boss types it out like that on official documents- it's embarassing.  That and he does THNX.  I'm like FOR FUCKS SAKE THANKS IS NOT THAT MANY MORE LETTERS... we don't charge/pay by the letter- spell that shit out.

Shameful.

acrosst.

where the flying fuck did acrossT come from in the annals of history.  FFS.

Guest Dirty Deads

Thru... my teachers almost always spell it like this- I didn't know it wasn't spelled like that for a long time.  I felt cheated

Yes! Thru and Nite. You see both all over the place on businesses. Drive-Thru and Open all nite. I feel bad for GH anymore, the couple has it ruff.

Honestly I really don't care.  What is right and wrong with regards to spelling and grammar is really fungible, language is a continuously evolving process.  The most efficient means of communication is better than the most right way of communication with regards to some old rules that came about for no rhyme or reason (English is full of really stupid rules and spellings).

Anyway, I think we are seeing a new form of communication unfold before us in the digital age; between text and memes, communication is rapidly evolving.  The data carrying capacity of his new communication is way beyond what proper printed in a newpaper text was capable of conveying.

U may go headdesk now (then again, I was able to convey quite a bit of data in those 17 letters).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

It is, sometimes. I can forgive the Jewish people. The ones I can't are the lazy tongued American youth that do it out of ignorance. Maybe I'm just pissed that teachers aren't teaching kids to be articulate anymore. The teachers teach English and if the kid passes tests, their job is done.

Maybe I'm just an ass. Also sentence fragments.

Are schools (outside of the really posh ones who want the kids to use RP maybe) supposed to teach pronunciation?   Just looking at my own secondary school, my five English teachers included two with Newfoundland accents, one with a Kenyan-colonial accent, one with a Trinidadian accent and one with a Southern Ontario accent.   Were the students supposed to change accents every year?  I mean, I agree with the rants about writing, but when it comes to spoken language I think it would be a shame to want everyone to sound the same. 

As an aside, I did a fair bit of conversational transcription for a linguistics class during university and the main thing I learned from that is virtually everyone speaks in fragments during casual conversation.  I was trying to study relative pronouns, and it was actually a serious pain to gather enough of them because people just don't talk that way when they're chatting.

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --

Guest Dirty Deads

Are schools (outside of the really posh ones who want the kids to use RP maybe) supposed to teach pronunciation?   Just looking at my own secondary school, my five English teachers included two with Newfoundland accents, one with a Kenyan-colonial accent, one with a Trinidadian accent and one with a Southern Ontario accent.   Were the students supposed to change accents every year?  I mean, I agree with the rants about writing, but when it comes to spoken language I think it would be a shame to want everyone to sound the same.

Not directly,  no. They do teach kids very young the phonetics of each individual letter and how it should sound though. My rant about it being pronounced FERmiliar is inexcusable for someone born and raised here. Outside of accents, I think people are just lazy about it. UK English is spoken more phonetically and it makes them come off as more articulate. Maybe this is just all opinion. I know I, myself, am guilty of speaking lazily quite often.

I could care less.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

UK English is spoken more phonetically and it makes them come off as more articulate.

Ha! You're joking right?  Or just talking about RP?  There are so many accents in the UK that are utterly incomprehensible once you head 20km in any direction.

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --

Guest Dirty Deads

Ha! You're joking right?  Or just talking about RP?  There are so many accents in the UK that are utterly incomprehensible once you head 20km in any direction.

Maybe I'm only fermiliar with what I've heard on TV.  Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I'm thinking really old tv even and not anything recent. 

My point is really that we are taught what sounds an "A" can make and "ER" isn't one of them. I can't see it being an accent thing, but I can see it being a lack of education passed down through generations.