Forums are back in action! ×

JRPG's vs. Western RPG's

I think 3 or 4 was the last one I played (did they have a 5th? Have they done more? I'M SO OUT OF TOUCH), but yeah - such a fun series. 2 will always be my favorite. I used to have a copy that an ex left with me, but years later he asked for it back. Such a bummer. :/

Oh man, I would have said I had misplaced it. But yeah, honestly JRPG vs WRPG doesn't matter to me as long as there's a solid storyline and characters/character development. If it has that and gameplay is par or better, I'm happy.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I think 3 or 4 was the last one I played (did they have a 5th? Have they done more? I'M SO OUT OF TOUCH), but yeah - such a fun series. 2 will always be my favorite. I used to have a copy that an ex left with me, but years later he asked for it back. Such a bummer. :/

That sucks...that's the one that is the most expensive to buy now. The original can be had for less the $40 these days, but Suikoden II easily goes for $100+. The others in the series are much cheaper.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Oh man, I would have said I had misplaced it. But yeah, honestly JRPG vs WRPG doesn't matter to me as long as there's a solid storyline and characters/character development. If it has that and gameplay is par or better, I'm happy.

That sucks...that's the one that is the most expensive to buy now. The original can be had for less the $40 these days, but Suikoden II easily goes for $100+. The others in the series are much cheaper.

Yeeeeeeeah, that's one of those moves I wish I could go back and convince high school Jess not to do. Ex doesn't need the game back - you enjoyed it more than he did anyway.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

I grew up playing JRPGs as well. I remember playing things like Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, The Legend of Zelda etc when I was a kid (I'm twenty five years old now). As a teenager I also enjoyed games like Final Fantasy X and Tales of Symphonia.

However, at my current age I'm starting to lean toward more western RPGs, such as Mass Effect, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Fallout and Skyrim.

I think it's because... well, I mean no offence to this and this is just my opinion, I am finding a lot of JRPGs are becoming stale to me nowadays. I haven't enjoyed a single Final Fantasy game since XII, Kingdom Hearts irritates me because it's released on multiple consoles and took them seven years to announce a proper sequel and I find a lot of characters in JRPGs nowadays are to me, "templates" which seem to be reused and recycled in every game. I'm sure this isn't always the case and there are still fantastic JRPGs out there, but right now I really do prefer western RPGs.

As for western RPGs, I enjoy them for different reasons. Mass Effect I absolutely love because of its setting, storyline and characters (Garrus is totally my bishi). Games like Fallout or Skyrim, I really enjoy the sense of exploration, independence, adventure and choice those games give you. One thing that gets me every time, is exploring, I frickin' love exploring! Not many JRPGs let you explore as much as you used to (don't get me started on Final Fantasy XIII...).

For now, western RPGs is it for me, but I have a few JRPGs that I would like to play when I get some time, such as Ni no Kuni or the new Tales games. :)

I grew up playing JRPGs as well. I remember playing things like Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, The Legend of Zelda etc when I was a kid (I'm twenty five years old now). As a teenager I also enjoyed games like Final Fantasy X and Tales of Symphonia.

However, at my current age I'm starting to lean toward more western RPGs, such as Mass Effect, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Fallout and Skyrim.

I think it's because... well, I mean no offence to this and this is just my opinion, I am finding a lot of JRPGs are becoming stale to me nowadays. I haven't enjoyed a single Final Fantasy game since XII, Kingdom Hearts irritates me because it's released on multiple consoles and took them seven years to announce a proper sequel and I find a lot of characters in JRPGs nowadays are to me, "templates" which seem to be reused and recycled in every game. I'm sure this isn't always the case and there are still fantastic JRPGs out there, but right now I really do prefer western RPGs.

As for western RPGs, I enjoy them for different reasons. Mass Effect I absolutely love because of its setting, storyline and characters (Garrus is totally my bishi). Games like Fallout or Skyrim, I really enjoy the sense of exploration, independence, adventure and choice those games give you. One thing that gets me every time, is exploring, I frickin' love exploring! Not many JRPGs let you explore as much as you used to (don't get me started on Final Fantasy XIII...).

For now, western RPGs is it for me, but I have a few JRPGs that I would like to play when I get some time, such as Ni no Kuni or the new Tales games. :)

Garrus <3 my boyfriend played through as a femshep just for that romance option.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

I haven't played any JRPG's, but I'm a huge fan of western RPG's, and that's mostly because of the story. My fondest memories of playing games are from Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age: Origins and Deus Ex. 

Still, OP, you haven't played Deus Ex? :o

He never asked for this.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile