Forums are back in action! ×

Scared of the rebound

Hi guys

Just thought I'd say hi and give a quick intro - hopefully I will be active here for a long time - love the idea of shared motivation.

I'm a 33 year old guy who, having come across this website, thinks this could be an awesome way to do the thing I have been failing at for years now - getting healthy, and looking better as a result. 

I've been on the overweight side of normal for my height, age etc. I'm looking to lose some pounds, but really more importantly build muscle and strength, and just eat better to enjoy the life benefits I know are out there for the healthy living.

I'm coming towards a 9 month work project in South East Asia, and as I always tend to on these, I have lost a good amount of weight through a combination of heat and eating less because of the heat. However, I am now thinking about the rebound I generally suffer on returning to the US land of HF Corn syrup, where I always regain the weight I lost in record time, as well as a whole bunch of pounds extra. This time I am determined to not only keep the weight off, but lose some more, and now build more strength.

Having spent the last 9 months working alongside some of the most talented martial artists and athletes in the world (no really), and therefore some of the fittest, stongest, healthiest guys I have seen, its really put my own body, and what I have let it become, into perspective. This time I want it to stick. And I feel really positive that this place will help me achieve these goals. Priority number one is my diet - Paleo looks really interesting, and above all doable (though not easy, I don't doubt dropping those carbs will be tough, but no excuses). Strength is the next must. 

I've decided to make my short term goals coincide with the remainder of my work stay, 1 month. This way I can make manageable changes to set me up for my new way of living when I get home, and reassess these. They include:

1 - To work out at least 30mins a day for 5 days a week - focusing on body weight exercises as priority

2 - To change my diet in the direction of Paleo (avoiding rice is somewhat impossible until I get home, but I aim to cut down - half portions etc.) - No junk or sugary snacks for 6 days a week

3 - Read read read the resources available to improve my knowledge on the body and a healthy lifestyle

Wow so much for a short intro eh? Thanks for listening to me waffle, and thanks to all involved for such a great site - heres to a much improved life!

Archived