Forums are back in action! ×

New and very much in need of help!

Hello!

I recently stumbled upon this site and am in love and very much inspired by the messages and the community. I'm looking to improve my general fitness (mainly endurance), and am not focused on weight loss or heavy strength training. HOWEVER, I keep running into a major problem.

A few years ago I was in a car accident and messed up my back. Although it is mostly okay, too much stress causes chronic pain and sometimes labored breathing. It seems that as soon as I get in the groove of working out, I need to stop and rest my back for a few days/a week, and after that I find it hard to regain my momentum.

Does anyone here have suggestions on how to get back to my routine after my days off, or exercises that won't put so much stress on my back? I know isolated weight training isn't good, but it seems that all of the compound exercises put a significant focus on the back.

Thank you, and best of luck in all of your nerd fitness endeavors!

I have a bad knee, so I understand the balancing act you do trying to be active without reinjuring yourself.  I would recommend that you do the body weight exercises, just start out very, very low level to build up your back without hurting it.  Do the dumbell rows with 3 pounds for example.  Limit your plank to 15 seconds.  Do wall pushups.  If that leaves you feeling like you didn't do much of a workout, you can do some sort of cardio afterwards.  Hopefully, you can build up your strength without injury and keep your momentum up that way.  Good luck.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

If you CAN, make an appointment with a physical therapist who specializes in sports medicine.  They will not only help you modify your workout plan, but will also be able to show you exercises that will help alleviate the spasms when you are done working out.  I know the PT I used to use actually allows people to "join" their facility as gym members. 

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site