Forums are back in action! ×

Wanting to try D&D, other tabletops, but no idea where to start

So I've been wanting to try out tabletop rpgs for a while. I want to do stuff with GURPS and maybe Call of Cthulhu, but I think I ought to join a group first to get a feel for how this all works. How do I work this out? I want to find a group of D&D players and see if I can join, and I could really use some advice on how to go about with this.

After I do this, some friends and I want to start developing content for us to play with in GURPS.

Well see if there is a bulletin board at your local geek store advertising games looking for more.

If that doesn't work look online for a local gaming group at sites like Meetup.com or penandpapergames.com.

If you still can't find a local group you can try an online game with virtual tabletops at sites like obsidianportal.com or my preferred Google+ hangouts based virtual tabletop roll20.net

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

Well see if there is a bulletin board at your local geek store advertising games looking for more.

If that doesn't work look online for a local gaming group at sites like Meetup.com or penandpapergames.com.

If you still can't find a local group you can try an online game with virtual tabletops at sites like obsidianportal.com or my preferred Google+ hangouts based virtual tabletop roll20.net

This. 

I don't play much but have ran a Star Trek game in the past and the others play in a couple groups. Seems like they mostly found others to play with through the local comic shop that hosts games pretty regular. 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I agree, the first place to try is your local comic book store. Many run games in their stores. A lot of pre-generated mods can be played in a four hour block. Though, Wizards of the Coast (the company who owns Dungeons & Dragons) has something called D&D Encounters. They say that each encounter takes 1-2 hours. I haven't tried this because I don't like the new version of D&D. Here is a link to the D&D Encounters Webpage, where you can find a place to try a game.

Level 3 Adventurer

Ogre disguised high elf

STR 1, DEX 0, STA 0, CON 3, WIS 4, CHA 1

1st Challenge   2nd Challenge    3rd Challenge   Current Challenge

and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength. Mark 12:30

If you're looking for D&D tabletop like games I would start with a fun little one called Gamma World.

You can see it here: https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/254600000

It is based off of D&D 4th edition, which is arguably the easiest one to get into, but is fairly streamlined.  You can be super goofy and gaming aloof because it is somewhat hard to take a Giant Yeti Mindbender seriously... especially when he rides around in a bombed out Cadillac. 

The straight D&D editions can be a little intimidating because you have to create your own character or you play a pre-gen character that is very vanilla.  Due to the random character creation element of Gamma World, you will always have a unique character.

Level 1 Warforged: Neophyte of the Empty Hand

“The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.â€

Just a word of caution.... don't invest any money in anything untill you find out what is being played in your area.  If you dump a bucket load of cash on D&D only to find that everyone in your local gaming comunity plays Pathfinder, or viciversa, that can put a hurting on your wallet.

Level: 2 Celt Adventurer

Str: 3 Dex: 2 Sta: 2 Con: 4.25 Wis: 4.75 Cha: 4

Challenges: 1 / 2

I found that Pathfinder is a nice accessable d&d clone, a bit cheaper and closer to 3.5 than the "streamlined" 4th edition. (Not that it was all bad in 4th, I did enjoy the sorcerer I played)

As for meeting people, I try to wrangle people I already know. Still tough though.

Anyone in Ireland up for Way of the Wicked?

Always try friends first. When I picked up interest in the game a year ago, I was surprised to find out that one of my friends already played once a week. So we put together our own group. If you can't find anything like that, just follow the advice above.

"And should I die on the morrow,

None will know of my sorrow,

Nor of the sweet agony,

I take to my grave."