Forums are back in action! ×

Hello 32 Beer Guzzling Brit Saying Hi!

Hi I'm 32 years old, married, expecting our first baby, two dogs (greyhounds) and I lvie in england. I work for an IT company, have a on / off relationship with excercise and heating healthily and I drink far too much beer.

I found this forum by googling "how to do one pull up" two days ago and been on here a lot since!

Growing up I was always the skinny guy, tall, lanky etc. Now I'm the same but have this lovely beer belly and love handles, Im bascially a skinny fat man - the inevitable consequence of my life style and age but I'm gonna sort it out!

What I want to change

Energy levels - my job is a lot of hours and sometime travelling and I am also studying a degree, but I often get behind on both or let them stress me out as i have no mental energy to complete tasks. I also like to see friends, spend time with family, volunteer for the greyhound charity but I'm often too tired at weekend or evenings to enjoy this stuff properly.

Anxiety  

I worry too much about NOTHING! I've got a great wife, job, family and friends but worry stops me enjoying this sometimes, I reckon a healthier life will sort that out.

Body

I want to reduce body fat and build some defintiion and for the first time in my life be comfortable taking my shirt off at the pool / on holiday etc.

Drink less

I'm no alcholic but I know that bing drinking makes me feel bad afterwards (links into all three of the above) and I still drink a lot of beer at weekends (llike 10 pints some nights) so I want to have a more repsonsible, relationship with alcohol.

How I intend to do it

The plans still forming but for now the lose plan is

Exercise 

• Beginner bodyweight workout 3 times a week until I advance to the next level
  • Interval training in between (accept one day where I play squash)

Diet

I'm kind of on board with the paleo diet and just done a shop, however I don't think I'm going to be mega strict initially as it will be too much, so I'm gonna keep dairy, probably have more fruit / honey then is recommended to substitue my massive chocolate cravings and if energy levels drop I may even have regular potatoes occassionaly.

I am unsure about how to deal with the beer aspect, currently other than avoiding going out for the next few weeks... I will also swap from beer to red wine when I do drink.

Meditation

I want to try some mindfulness training, but this will be my stage two as I think it will be too much to start new exersise regime, diet and this all in one!

Would you love your feedback on general plan, and look forward to meeting you all!

JP

The general plan looks good to me.  I like that you're trying to be realistic; that will be very helpful for staying on board.  You should have a rest day in there, and when you begin, maybe two (spread out during the week).  If you can do it without going chocolate-crazy, you can allow yourself a small amount of very good dark chocolate at some point during the day. 

Don't be fooled by the "beginner's" body weight training, it's quite a tough little workout.  Don't be afraid to adjust it to your current fitness level. 

Send me a message if there's anything I can do to help you out. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

The general plan looks good to me.  I like that you're trying to be realistic; that will be very helpful for staying on board.  You should have a rest day in there, and when you begin, maybe two (spread out during the week).  If you can do it without going chocolate-crazy, you can allow yourself a small amount of very good dark chocolate at some point during the day. 

Don't be fooled by the "beginner's" body weight training, it's quite a tough little workout.  Don't be afraid to adjust it to your current fitness level. 

Send me a message if there's anything I can do to help you out. 

Thanks for that, yeah I did the workout yesterday (only 1 set) and my legs are killing!

If you need to do fewer squats and lunges next time, go ahead.  The workout is intended to be adjusted.  A nice hot bath or shower and some Aleve or Motrin (what ever it's called there).  You may want to stick with a walk on your between days for a week or so. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

If you need to do fewer squats and lunges next time, go ahead.  The workout is intended to be adjusted.  A nice hot bath or shower and some Aleve or Motrin (what ever it's called there).  You may want to stick with a walk on your between days for a week or so. 

Thanks for that, legs are not too bad today but i've not done my sprints, I walk twice a day regardless because of my hounds. I think as it say all over this site my diet is my main problem, genetically I should be slim.. Not going to worry too much about visible muscle gains initially just be nice to lose those love handles and build up strength to a less weedy level!