Forums are back in action! ×

Basically I'm hitting the reset button on my entire life

My name is Johann (not really, but it's my favorite pseudonym), and in a nutshell, I'm really unhappy with my life. Unhealthy eating, staying up until 7 in the morning and waking up around 4 in the afternoon, lethargy and laziness have all kept me from being the perennial badass that I've always wanted to be.

I graduated from high school a little over a month ago, and I wanted to start this whole 'adulthood' thing on the right foot. On a surface level, I'm doing this because I want to be strong and look good (let's face it, as an 18 year old male, the prospect of looking good is always a pretty good motivator for me). On a deeper level, I'm absolutely terrified of ending up like my dad. Like, sobbing in the corner and peeing myself terrified. My dad - indeed, pretty much every single person I'm related to - is big and fat. I've watched my dad try and fail for years to be healthy, but he always fails himself due to a lack of motivation and crippling addiction to sugary food. I figure the only way I can avoid that kind of cycle of failure is if I start early. In the last year alone I've gained 25 pounds, and that sucks, so let's see if I can be like Joe and murder the fat right off of my body. 

That and, well, I recently discovered that I'm starting to lose my hair, and the last thing I wanna be is a big fat bald white guy. 

Beginning stats:

Height: 6"3

Weight: 220 lbs

Waist: 38 (at least I think it is. I wear sweats all the time and they don't exactly come with a waist measurement so this is a little murky)

Starting class: Ogre-esque. Think like a teenage Ogre that hasn't really hit his full Ogre potential yet. Like a little Ogrelet.

Preferred class: Ranger- Assassin. I've been playing way too much Assassin's Creed.

The first time is always the hardest.

Welcome! You've certainly come to the right place to make the changes you want. I often wish that I had the sensibility to have taken a more active role in my health and fitness at 18 rather than at 30, but as many say, there's no time like the present. The great thing is once you start down the road and you see some progress you'll never want to go back to where you started.

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

Welcome, just wanted to chime in that being bald isn't a bad thing, in fact some find baldness attractive :)

Now for the advice, it's a great thing to have the motivation that you have (re: your dad), but you also need long term, realistic, achievable goals to keep you on track for the long haul.

Looking good is a side effect of healthy eating habits and effective workouts, rooting for ya!!!

You are right "badass" doesn't just happen, you have to work for it.  If you haven't found it already, read up on the guide to healthy eating, that you'll find on the Nerd Fitness resources page. What steps are you going to take to change your clock?  Are you involved in any activities?  If you need some help, feel free to send me a message.  Good luck. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Why hello everyone, thanks for the greetings!. So far I'm taking baby steps; I figure if I'm planning on changing my entire life, I better pace myself or it'll all fall apart. My biggest commitment is changing my sleeping schedule - after reading one of Steve's older posts, I've decided to wake up at 6:00 AM every day for the next 30 days to try and build it as a habit. I'm also slowing changing my diet. I'm not switching to Paleo right off the bat, but i'm adding in a lot more veggies and cutting down on portion sizes. I've also bought the Nerd Fitness Guide and I'll be sticking as close to that as I can (the nice part about working a part time job is that my mornings are always available to work out). Feel free to dole out advice if you have any, Lord knows that a teenager like me can always use more guidance!

The first time is always the hardest.