Forums are back in action! ×

Four-day Sore

I went on a 14-mile hike on the 4th of July. My ass is still sore. Should I be concerned?

And in general, when muscle soreness lasts for at least two days, what does that mean? How can I prevent the prolonged soreness? I like being able to function like a normal human being, and these sore muscles prevent me from doing so.

you're fine.  I promise. Unless you actually tore something- which I highly doubt. 

And in general, when muscle soreness lasts for at least two days, what does that mean

it means you have this ridiculous thing called being sore.  They give it a fancy name "DOMS" Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Which to me is stupid- sore is sore- and you are always MORE sore two days after than the first day- so calling it delayed is just dumb to me- but they actually never bothered to ask me- so oh well.

How can I prevent the prolonged soreness?

two solutions

1.) do nothing ever again- therefor never getting sore ever again

2.) work out more- and the muscles adapt and overcome and get less sore the more you use them and challenge them.

I like being able to function like a normal human being, and these sore muscles prevent me from doing so.

you get over it.

squat day is always fun the next two days when you aren't used to it- it's hysterical actually. 

Eating more protein and a littel more carbs helps me be less sore, depending on which I'm a bit short on. Also, keeping hydration levels up helps promote faster recovery.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Anytime you push yourself way beyond what you are used to, you are going to cause the muscle damage that causes DOMS (it's good damage, though!). When I first squatted, I couldn't walk comfortably for a week, and had to hold on tight to stair railings for 4 days. More than 2 days of soreness is totally normal if that hike was way beyond what you usually do.

The only way to keep it from happening that badly again is to keep up the activity level! Once you get past that horrible first time DOMS, your body quickly acclimates, and in general, you won't get it again to nearly the same extent as long as you keep up the level of activity and don't bump up the intensity of your exercise more than ~10% a week.

I like a couple of preemptive vitamin I, but, then again, I'm ooooooollldd! :-)

I'm older! (prolly)

Yeah, this can happen.  Sucks when it does but you'll be fine! 

Slow, gentle movement will get you back on track.  A slow walk helps a lot.  Don't try to stretch it out.  Just slow, gentle movement.  My marathoner friends get this all the time. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Thanks, guys. Don't get me wrong, I like the feeling of being sore because it makes me feel like I've accomplished something. It's just the degree and length of that soreness that surprised me since that usually doesn't happen.

two solutions

1.) do nothing ever again- therefor never getting sore ever again

2.) work out more- and the muscles adapt and overcome and get less sore the more you use them and challenge them.

Of course, I choose the second option. I think this means that I have to go on that hike again and again and again...ADVENTURE TIME! :D

Eating more protein and a littel more carbs helps me be less sore, depending on which I'm a bit short on. Also, keeping hydration levels up helps promote faster recovery.

It may have been a good idea to bring more food and water for that trip. I know how to prepare for next time.

Anytime you push yourself way beyond what you are used to, you are going to cause the muscle damage that causes DOMS (it's good damage, though!). When I first squatted, I couldn't walk comfortably for a week, and had to hold on tight to stair railings for 4 days. More than 2 days of soreness is totally normal if that hike was way beyond what you usually do.

Oh, dear! That's an intense sore that I've yet to encounter. I'm glad that even though every single muscle on my legs burned that night, only my buttocks remained sore. That leads me to a related question: if a muscle that I worked hard is not sore the next day, have I accomplished anything (in other words did I get any stronger)? And yup, that hike was about 20 times how much I walk in a normal day.

Another question: is it customary and/or recommended for people to work out their sore muscles? (Example: squats with sore hamstrings) I'm a newbie to serious fitness and don't seem to know these things.

I know how you feel. The DOMS always comes a few days later for me, and is usually a surprise. Right now, I've got DOMS in my glutes and from Monday's Legs workout-lots of lunges and inverted rows. didn't start to feel it until today, and I'm happy I have it. It means I worked past my comfort zone and am making new muscle tissue. Today, I did a plyo workout, then later mowed the lawn, then later later, played soccer. My DOMS don't really hurt during the workouts, but seeing me try to sit, or my face as I move laterally is hilarious. Drink your water, keep the flow going. As for working out with sore muscles, I have done/do it, but if the muscle is sore to the touch or you can't function normally, give it another day to rest up. Otherwise, warm up slowly, ease your way into the workout. if the muscle feels weak, you might want to pull back on that muscle group for another day, or try something else entirely.  good luck

Newbie Human Ranger Level 1

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 CON 0 WIS 0 CHA 0

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34543-how-sasx-gets-her-groove-back/

Funny thing is, I usually get the soreness the day right after I work out.

I also just remembered that back when I did cross country and track, going on a light recovery run would actually help ease the pain of sore muscles that I got from running. Perhaps that shall be a good way to work out while sore. I guess whether or not to work out a sore muscle just depends on the degree of soreness and my ability to function.

The doms is hell

I've been exercising for a long time and it doesn't get less painful for me (I do have health issues which involve pain. .. arthritis. ... a liver disease that means i store lactic acid like there's no tomorrow. ... little things)

I make sure i get sufficient protein. ... and water. ... I CANNOT exercise fasted. ... or in a partially fasted state. ... I need sufficient calories and protein

I must stretch frequently. ... during long hikes i take breaks to stretch. .. I stretch before laying I'm my hammock and when i get up. ... if not my muscles knot up and I'm in tears

I've learned my limits. ... I can't increase at the same rate as someone younger or healthier than me (not saying you are old and feeble or anything. ... you claimed the old card ;) ) It's taken me years to find that fine line of enough to grow versus too much that hurts me. ... and i respect that line for deals...

But i keep moving !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

That leads me to a related question: if a muscle that I worked hard is not sore the next day, have I accomplished anything (in other words did I get any stronger)?

Just because you aren't sore doesn't mean that you haven't accomplished anything. There are a lot of factors that determine muscle soreness. For instance, weightlifting for bodybuilding (lots of reps, lower weights, lots of time with the muscles under load) tends to produce more DOMS than lifting to increase strength (low reps, high weights, high intensity). The eccentric part of a movement (the part of the movement where the muscle lengthens under tension) produces more soreness then the concentric part of the movement (the part where the muscle contracts against the load). So for instance, if you were bench pressing, and only had to lift it (concentric), and someone else lowered it for you (eccentric), you wouldn't get nearly as sore. So it's more complicated than working hard = sore.

Anyways, lots of ways to say, don't worry too much about measuring your progress by your soreness. Focus on measuring your increases in performance as the true gauge of your progress.

All these bodily problems makes me want to really appreciate my youth while I can, being 19 years old.

I asked that question about not being sore because during the night of the hike, my hamstrings were in more pain than my glutes, but the next day my hamstrings were perfectly fine while my glutes were on fire. Nevertheless, I'm happy to hear that it's okay to not be in pain after working out.

I'm older! (prolly)

Can you "beat" 56? :-p

Oops no. Well done

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I lift for body building, I lift for strength, I run, I box/fight, etc and I'm never sore.

I AM going the distance

Several times, I've squatted or lunged (unknowingly) to the point where I couldn't sit down to pee for a few days. :P Going to the restroom involved awkward dip-like upper body maneuvers on the sink so I wouldn't just fall onto the toilet. And when my friend invited me to an introductory karate class, I actually had to lift my primary kicking leg into the shower and my pants the next day. So no, I think you're completely normal. Just don't do those kind of workouts every single day until you work up to them. Great job pushing your body to a new limit though!

Some things that have helped me recover in the past are water, protein powder (or protein in general), ibuprofen when I have to work, and SLEEP. Also, when stretching the muscle is painful enough to make me nauteous, sometimes repeating the exercise at a much lower weight helps. (For instance, if I am sore from deadlifts, I will take 40 or 50 pounds off the lift and do them again, very slowly.) This seems to help keep the muscle from growing stiff.

Several times, I've squatted or lunged (unknowingly) to the point where I couldn't sit down to pee for a few days. :tongue: Going to the restroom involved awkward dip-like upper body maneuvers on the sink so I wouldn't just fall onto the toilet.

I had that once after a yoga class.  This was an instructor I'd had for a couple of years.  The class was terrible!  I felt horrible until I talked to a classmate who said "I couldn't even use the toilet".  LOL.

I AM going the distance

Several times, I've squatted or lunged (unknowingly) to the point where I couldn't sit down to pee for a few days.  :tongue: Going to the restroom involved awkward dip-like upper body maneuvers on the sink so I wouldn't just fall onto the toilet. And when my friend invited me to an introductory karate class, I actually had to lift my primary kicking leg into the shower and my pants the next day.

I'm giggling to myself at this description, and I can totally relate. My quads have been so sore before that I would scoot myself down the stairs on my butt when I was at home just to avoid having to walk down. It's pretty comical when you work to the point where your body doesn't function.

Also, when stretching the muscle is painful enough to make me nauteous, sometimes repeating the exercise at a much lower weight helps. (For instance, if I am sore from deadlifts, I will take 40 or 50 pounds off the lift and do them again, very slowly.) This seems to help keep the muscle from growing stiff.

I didn't know nausea from that was possible, damn. I fear making my muscles tighter when they're sore and I avoid using them. This is especially because maintaining and increasing my flexibility is one of my more important goals, and I don't want to set it back. Currently, my hamstrings are sore from hiking, so I can only touch my toe before I start feeling pain on a one-legged hamstring stretch. On a regular day, I can comfortably shove my face to my shin.

I learned the hard way not to work out two days in a row. My thighs were so sore for three or fours days that I was afraid my knees would cave in when I walked up stairs, and going to the restroom was a nightmare. Although it might have been because I hadn't learned to squat properly yet, but in any case, I'll remember to always have a rest day after workout days now.

But now I've decided to try interval running on my off days, so I guess I'll come here in a few days complaining I can't get out of bed :D

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

I did  a workout on Sunday- it was my friends workout- she added quiet a bit of calves in there- and I don't really "do" calves.

needless to say- I couldn't walk properly till yesterday really.  Shameful.  And wildly amusing. 

calves are the WORST (except really, quads like OP said where you can't sit on the toilet is worse)

I used to get super sore inside calves when I went to forefoot running.  I totally get it.  boooooo

I AM going the distance

No no no calf massage isn't good

I AM going the distance

Can you "beat" 56? :-p

No, but I'm menopausal, so I win anyway.  I'm taking glucosamine for the knees, but what else do you take?  DOMs can lead to a fibromyalgia flareup for me, so I am having to go really, really slowly at adding stuff.  It is pissing me off :)

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site