Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone,

My name is Joshua. I'm a mid-twenties college student from the US. 6'3", about 195lbs give or take.

Was really excited to find this site. I love staying physically fit but I'm horrible at self motivation. In my life I've stayed fit through soccer, taekwondo, dance, rock climbing, or having a gym buddy, but I've never been able to stay consistent with something on my own. I had a friend doing P90X with me a couple of years ago and we never missed a day, but as soon as she fell out (right on the last third too) I fell out of it. Very frustrating. Looking forward to finding a community I can work with who can motivate me and I can motivate others in return (I'm a huge fan of reciprocity).

So most of my physical background is covered there. I have an incredibly fast metabolism so I've never struggled with my weight. But I hold a high standard for myself and I consider myself really out of shape, especially considering how I used to be (what can I say, college has taken it out of me).

Another issue that's been really discouraging for several years is the fact that I have pretty messed up shoulders. I've heard several explanations for it, but the one that's made the most sense is that my muscles are hyperlaxitive (I think that was it), meaning overly flexible, so all ball and socket joints (knees, hips, shoulders) are always prone to injury because their not secure. I suffered with knee problems all throughout high school and have dislocated my shoulders several times. Now what's happened is my shoulders have rolled too far forward, pinching the bicep tendon and a couple of others, which only leads to more injury. What these things mean for me is 1) it's incredibly frustrating to work out because I will work out for a few weeks, start gaining some momentum, and then I'm injured and I lose all that momentum, and 2) I can't do any pushing exercises (at least not yet) as they only pull my shoulders further forward. So push-ups, even curls, are no-go for me right now (especially since I haven't worked out all summer). But trying to build up the shoulder and back muscles, along with everything else, to eventually get back into that total body fitness.

Anyway, really looking forward to working and learning with everyone. The only other challenge I'm facing now is I'm in Kenya for an internship, and having the refueling food is tough, but looking for ways to solve that for the remaining four weeks I'm here.

Love crossfit, love active exercises, high intensity, sports (but I hate running if some sort of ball isn't involved). But yeah, that's me. I'm really excited to be here.

If there are any tips as to how to move forward or where to go to next, I'm all ears, just waiting for emails and looking and exercises now.

Alright, cheers!

Joshua

If you're not seeing a physical therapist, that might be a good plan.  I hope you'll be joining the challenge that will be starting up in a couple of weeks - you can find out more about it by reading the 6-week challenge FAQs.  Good luck with your shoulders.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit