Forums are back in action! ×

The words I dread: "Hello. I'm the Doctor. Run for your life!"

Hi, I’m Jess. I stumbled across NF about a year ago and immediately signed up for the newsletter. After trying to put some of the principles of the Rebellion into practice in my life for a while and failing for various reasons, I thought I’d try signing up for the forums so I actually commit to and follow through on my goals.

I’ve been mildly unhappy with my weight and fitness level since I was in my early teens, but scoliosis, a shoulder injury, and what I told myself was lack of time were things I used to excuse myself from getting into a more healthy lifestyle. Right now, at 5’10†and 185 lbs, I’m not at my healthiest weight, and sitting at a desk for most of my days doesn’t help at all.

I’m going back to university this fall, and I want to be able to buy a new wardrobe before then. I’m tired of being tired all the time, too. And while I can walk long distances without a problem, I can’t run very well, and I want to be able to keep up when the Doctor comes for me/the zombie apocalypse arrives/Mulder and Scully need help fighting off aliens. Also, I’m an office administrator, and I’ve decided I want to be a corporate ninja like Natasha Romanoff in Iron Man: perfectly competent and tailored and feminine on the outside, able to take someone out unarmed or leap onto Chitauri jetski spaceships.

Goals I’m aiming for:

• Be able to run 5K without stopping
  • Gain some muscle
  • Fit into and feel comfortable in the clothing I want for school
  • Look into parkour and weight training
  • Get healthy, bottom line.

Things I plan to help me attain my goals:

• Run twice a week
  • Change to an entirely Paleo diet. My family eats fairly healthily already, but I want to cut out wheat, because I think I might be sensitive to it anyhow, and just avoid carbs from starch.
  • Do the Beginner Body Weight Workout twice a week. I’ll probably do it in the mornings before I head to work.
  • Join the 6 Week Challenge starting on July 29.

Nerd creds: I’m a Browncoat, a Doctor Who fan (especially of Rory), and the MCU has produced some of my favourite films ever. I listen to the Welcome to Night Vale podcast and the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack at work, cry over Mulder and Scully, and love folklore. Not so much into video games, though I’ve played WoW a few times and killed my character nearly instantly. I've read Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit multiple times and I've read The Silmarillion just so I could get more of the backstory. I love words and etymology and finding out about things.

Quite excited to join the forum and find out what I can make my body do for me. I’ve procrastinated long enough.

Welcome to the site! It looks like you have your head wrapped around what you want to accomplish with a good game plan!. Just a little suggestion, you might try one of the thousands of 5k training programs. I've heard great thing about the 5k zombie app. 

Welcome to NF!