Forums are back in action! ×

From Azeroth Sloth to Healthy dad...

Not really sure what to start with so here goes.  I am closing in on 40, recently pegged with pre-diabetes, and tired of it all. I have been past what I have always considered the "red line" and now currently stand at 306 lbs.  I have 2 kids, one with ASD (12 yo) and my lil princess is 5.  My wife and kids are my world.  It is time for me to get off my tail and get this crap in line. 

My job is a very seditary one, but thankfully they are encouraging of a healther lifestyle... they issued everyone a fitbit and do quarterly challenges to promote activity.  They also have a wellness plan that offers reimbursement for certian expenditures.  My wife and I have started a "clean eating" format of revision of our lifestyle for both ourselves and our children... and so far I have not had much loss, but she is doin really well.  I am planning on firing up a blog to start really documenting myself and to keep myself honest.  I am tired of feeling like this. 

Bronzo

Level:  1

Race:  Dwarf Bard  |  Class: Adventurer

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 4 |CHA 2

Fitbit User Profile

MyFitnessPal

No failures, only opportunities to learn

I just joined and popped in here to make a first post. Seen yours and while I'm much younger than you, I'm in the same boat. I wish you the best of luck in your efforts to become healthy and a positive example for your children to follow.

Have you decided on what kind of eating changes you're going to make? What about exercise?

In your 30s is too young to feel like that!  Congratulations on getting started with a good diet.  That is about 80% of the battle right there.  I've got a FitBit too & I like it a lot.  It's great that your workplace is encouraging you like this.  What type of activities are you looking to start?  Are you going to join the next challenge?  It's a great way to stay motivated - read up on the 6-week challenge FAQs for more info.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Well walking is going to be a daily activity to start, but I am also going to be incorporating some body weight work.  I am looking forward to the next 6 week challenge so I can get in on the teams.  Had a bit of a lapse during last weekend's family trip.  I stayed away from stuff like the family hamburgers and hotdogs in place for some nicely grilled chicken, but still gained.  I know it is all a process and just beginning it so time to get back on track!

Thanks again for the encoragement and info!

Bronzo

Fitbit User Profile

MyFitnessPal

One thing I found was fun was a google game called Ingress.  It is still beta but I use it when I am on my walks and hit portals along the way.  usually I don't realize it and I would already hit 5k steps.  love gamification of it all!

Bronzo

Fitbit User Profile

MyFitnessPal

In your 30s is too young to feel like that!  Congratulations on getting started with a good diet.  That is about 80% of the battle right there.  I've got a FitBit too & I like it a lot.  It's great that your workplace is encouraging you like this.  What type of activities are you looking to start?  Are you going to join the next challenge?  It's a great way to stay motivated - read up on the 6-week challenge FAQs for more info.

Don't forget to join in and post your FitBit info over on this thread.    Others are a great incentive.   Anna(hearthsinger) from the cover article is the #1 target as that girl can walk and walk and walk.   

200-Hour Yoga Teacher & Reiki II Practitioner

Level 2 Gnome Druid STR: 9 | DEX: 5 | STA: 5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Challenge Progress  ||  Workout Progress  ||  FitBit

The problem with life is that there is no background music

Not really sure what to start with so here goes.  I am closing in on 40, recently pegged with pre-diabetes, and tired of it all. I have been past what I have always considered the "red line" and now currently stand at 306 lbs.  I have 2 kids, one with ASD (12 yo) and my lil princess is 5.  My wife and kids are my world.  It is time for me to get off my tail and get this crap in line. 

My job is a very seditary one, but thankfully they are encouraging of a healther lifestyle... they issued everyone a fitbit and do quarterly challenges to promote activity.  They also have a wellness plan that offers reimbursement for certian expenditures.  My wife and I have started a "clean eating" format of revision of our lifestyle for both ourselves and our children... and so far I have not had much loss, but she is doin really well.  I am planning on firing up a blog to start really documenting myself and to keep myself honest.  I am tired of feeling like this.

I read this on one of the other boards earlier: "Best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. Second best time is today." -Chinese Proverb. Cheers to your today!!!! :) I love reading about healthy journeys when couples make those changes together. So keep posting!

Level 1 Druid Sea-Elf

Battle Log:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/50159-back-at-nerd-fitness-but-i-can-no-longer-see-my-toes/?p=1094367

"The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesan

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." -Albert Einstein

I read this on one of the other boards earlier: "Best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. Second best time is today." -Chinese Proverb. Cheers to your today!!!! :) I love reading about healthy journeys when couples make those changes together. So keep posting!

Thank you so much for the encouragement!  My wife just signed up as well (Verlayla on the forums) so we are going to level up together for this quest!  ;-)

Bronzo

Fitbit User Profile

MyFitnessPal