Forums are back in action! ×

I've been following the Nerd Fitness blog for a while, and I decided now is the time to get involved. So, a little about me. I'm 25. I work as a computer programmer (at least that is the easiest way to explain it all). I have a dog names Eddy who is awesome and helped me start to get healthier as soon as I got him. He loves his walks, and I give him at least 3 walks a day, 2 of which are generally 15 minutes or more at a decent pace. It gets even more intense if he sees a squirrel, chipmunk, raccoon, duck, goose, or other critter. Then we break into a run for a bit.

I like to go hiking, though I don't get to as much as I would like (especially in the summer). I also do sword fighting for fun, and I just started a Krav Maga class at work. I also recently started getting into archery. As you can see, I might have a bit of a thing for weapons and martial activities.

My main fitness goals are to lose some of my body fat (I want to lose my man boobs and at least trim down the love handles), and I want to keep my heart healthy since heart problems run in the family.

Some of my biggest steps lately have been to hit the gym at work 3 times a week, cut back on junk food, and cut out soda. It's been more than 3 weeks since I have had a soda and I am going strong. I switched to drinking tea and water instead. My next goal in that arena is going to be to stop having caffeine on a daily basis, but I want to make sure I can go longer without soda first. I almost had a relapse last week.

Right now my gym time is generally split between the elliptical trainer and stationary bike. I would like to run, but I have knee problems so this is better for them. I have some dumb bells at home, they only go up to 20 lbs each, that I try and work with while watching TV.

I'm looking at doing the 6 week challenge, but I need to read the forums a bit more. I'm thinking my class would be a combination of Monk and Ranger, though I would probably put down monk.

This went on a bit more than I expected, but oh well. Hello!

Lvl 2 Human

STR 2.5  |  DEX 2.5  |  STA 1.5  |  CON 2.5  |  WIS 2.25  |  CHA 1.75

Fitocracy | Current Challenge

Hold Fast

Hi Jbbadger,

Welcome to Nerd Fitness. Its great that you have decided to join and your doing great making the changes.

I made the mistake your trying to avoid, I tried to cut all the bad stuff out all at once and its been bloody touch. So I cut out stuff over a couple of weeks.

Keep up the hard work, keep walking Eddy, he will love it and you will benefit from it loads.

If you have any questions or need support, I am here and willing to help as much as I can.

It's not about "HAVING" time, it's about "MAKING" time.