Forums are back in action! ×

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Has anyone read this fantastic book?  I LOVE it.  I've loved it since it came out.  It really spoke to me.  I didn't like the second book, Insurgent, quite as much, but Divergent is one of my all time favorites.  

When I read it, I decided I wanted to be more Dauntless.  Not 100% Dauntless because that's not my style.  But I was a little Dauntless.  I went bungee jumping and didn't scream or make any noise at all.  It was awesome.  

I also love it because I have a son named Tobias (born before the book came out though - I'm not THAT much of a nerd.)  

What faction would you choose to be in?  

I'd choose Erudite.  

Amuses me that you want to choose! I am so naturally divergent :D

Am holding out reading insurgent until she's finished the series. That, and the kids at the school where I work as a teacher/librarian have so many reserves on it that I'd feel bad cutting in but don't love it enough to go out and buy it.

Aussie Bush Ranger - Training with the Monks

'I'll fight but not surrender', cried the wild colonial... GRRL!

Project 365 - Becoming BatGirl

Current Challenge

lol well that's the whole point!  Is the choosing!  My sisters (ages 16) and I were talking about it the other day.  My one sister is very clearly Divergent between Erudite and Abnegation.  My other sister... I have no idea.  She seems more Amity to me.  All of us agreed we'd hate to be in Candor.  Blech. 

The thing is, I am so not Divergent between the factions they have.  I WISH I was Dauntless, and I WISH I was Abnegation, but I'm just very naturally Erudite.  Compared to the other Erudites I'm likely nothing, but I love to learn and I've just gone back to school at age 26 and I can't handle how amazing and how awesome it is to be learning and in school again.  

Anyway.  I did not like Insurgent nearly as much as I loved Divergent.  I could read Divergent over and over and over again but Insurgent I read once and am just hoping Ms. Roth doesn't hurt me with Allegiant. 

It was really fun when Divergent came out because for a while, I had a son named Tobias who was Four.  (Now he's almost six so it doesn't work any more.  Sigh.) 

Excellent book. Read it last summer and Insurgent too.....the third is on my Amazon wish list. :)

Like you, I thought there was a rather big step down from D to I....

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant tons of times. Personally, I feel like Veronica Roths writing just captures you. It traps you and makes you want to read more and more about Tris and Tobias. I'm stoked to see the movie though i don't think it will be able to come close to being as good as the book. Itll be nice though to see everything come to life and go beyond the minds of the readers

Divergent was a great read! Insurgent and Allegiant, not so much. But LOVED Divergent.

I think I would be Divergent with strengths in Erudite, Amity, and Dauntless. I want to be predominantly dauntless but the erudite comes quite naturally as does amity. I debate between amity and abnegation because they seem very similar to each other - both having a nature for serving (growing food for an entire city is very giving, right?).

I could start analyzing this for about five paragraphs but I'll spare you. :)

Loved the book and loved the movie, too.  I had my whole class take the online quiz and I was sort of divergent between Erudite and Amity, but I would choose Amity knowing myself.  We made a graph and it seems 12 year olds are more likely to choose Dauntless - I wonder if they would in real life if they knew they had to jump off trains, ha, ha!

Quirkyself OUT!

Current Challenge, Third Challenge, Second Challenge , First Challenge

Level 4 Hobbit Adventurer

strength: 5 | dexterity: 2 | stamina:5 | constitution: 5 | wisdom: 6 | charisma: 7

Pounds lost:

2%
2%

I saw the movie last weekend. (No worries, I read the first two books first.) They take a lot of liberty with the movie but it is GREAT! I think it is actually better than the books.

Did anyone read Hunger Games? I thought the writing was very similar so much so that I wondered if they used the same ghost writer. My friend (a fan of both) disagrees. Thoughts?

nibblecatfeet, level 0 Nymph assassin
STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

I saw the movie last weekend. (No worries, I read the first two books first.) They take a lot of liberty with the movie but it is GREAT! I think it is actually better than the books.

Did anyone read Hunger Games? I thought the writing was very similar so much so that I wondered if they used the same ghost writer. My friend (a fan of both) disagrees. Thoughts?

I don't think there were ghost writers involved. Also, I think Veronica Roth started writing this before the Hunger Games got popular. There's a chance she may have read HG, but I highly doubt it. It's just cultural zeitgeist, I think.

• Like 1

RogueSenna - Level 0 - Wood Elf Assassin

[Andaran Atishan Travellers!] [It's Dangerous to Go Alone]

CHALLENGES:

[#1]

I really enjoyed the whole series.  I think it got a little confused towards the ending with the whole explanation about why the whole faction-ed society existed to begin with.  I think she kind of tried to do/explain too much in the one book.  I also really honestly hate all the comparisons to THG.  They're both great, and they both came out in a general same time period and are dystopian novels with a main character as a girl. And that's pretty much all they have in common.  One is political/social commentary (THG) and one is more of a reflection on self.  Idk.  I understand the desire to compare them but I think they are so different it doesn't do either one of the stories justice by comparing them.

That's just  my opinion though :D  Great series overall IMO.

• Like 1

Speaking as a library professional, no, Roth and Collins are both very different established YA and Juvenile authors. There are so many writers and only so few plot combinations that exist in the human psyche. There's a huge push in YA lit for post-apocalyptic female heroines. It's great, actually. : ) Tons of authors are doing it and they all seem to have caught the zeitgeist, as stated above.

They are comparable, but different. I prefer Roth's actually. The Divergent series was GREAT!

• Like 1

High Elf | Scout | Level 3
[ STR 3.5 | DEX 3 | STA 7 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 4 ]
Second Challenge | Battle Log

"I do not intend to make excuses."

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

I looved Diveregent, I couldn't put it down but I'm finding the second one harder to get into. I haven't seen the movie yet for some reason I am afraid to but it looks really good. 

i would probably be dauntless because I think I wouldn't fit into any of the other ones and it sounds like fun up until certain points. 

• Like 1