Forums are back in action! ×

Newbie here and so very glad I found this site!!!

Hi guys and gals!!!

I'm a Titan(Giant) Ranger from Columbus, OH. 

I'm copying my profile for the intro post as it pretty much sums it all up:

I'm 37 years old. I work in the computer IT field. I am currently 6'6, 280 lbs (down 18 lbs from my highest a month ago). 

After 8 months of tests, I was diagnosed with secondary hypogonadism (extremely low testosterone with functional testicular production). After an MRI found no tumor on my pituitary or hypothalamus, my endocrinologist determined my problem was idiopathic. My body (my fat) was converting nearly all of the testosterone it was making into estrogen. I was also borderline diabetic because of it and my diet.

Basically, what he was saying is that I am fat, out of shape, and my body was screaming at me to stop killing it and starting giving it good fuel and using it properly.

I already was familiar with the paleo diet, but decided to go full force into it this time. 

My research during those 8 months of not knowing, turned up how many chemicals, foods, and products being sold are detrimental to male hormones: phyto-estrogens (soys, lavender), hormone-blocking chemicals (BPA, most plastic toxins, food growth hormones and antibiotics, Borax), alcohol, medications (some antibiotics, anti-depressants). 

Knowing this, I decided to go completely organic, inside and out.

I even make my own laundry detergent, deodorant, shampoo, and body wash.

I'm feeling great about it.

I just needed to start an exercise program and get moving.

That's when I came across nerdfitness.com. I read about the Rebellion. I read many of Steve's articles. They all made sense. There was science, mixed with proven opinion, mixed with wonderful success stories, and most of all, mixed with nerd-engaging fun. 

I love the idea of leveling-up in life, being an IRL RPG character. I love the fact that the exercises are doable, you don't need a gym membership, and they are varied and encourage you to branch out and try new things.

I think what I love the most is that Steve and the nerdfitness Rebellion still relate to the n00bs and encourage them in everything they write and every idea they come up with, plus it isn't all about working out. It's diet, it's happiness, it's success, it's motivation and discipline, it's goal-setting, it's baby steps.

This truly is a site for changing your life, not just your body, not just your mind, but the entire package.

I'm very excited to be on this journey. Thanks so much!

• Titan Adventurer
  • Level 1
  • "Be yourself; Everyone else is taken."

This is the first fitness site I ever saw that actually made me feel like I could get strong and healthy even though I was "over the hill".  No one here laughs because I'm excited that I can deadlift 40 lbs or makes me feel like I should be lifting 400. 

I don't necessarily eat paleo, but like you've I've cut out a packaged foods because it turns out soy (and other things) are bad for your thyroid too.  I'm gone to about 90% organic, although I haven't tried making my own soaps yet.  I feel so much better now than a year ago (when I stumbled in). 

Good luck on the rest of your journey.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived