Forums are back in action! ×

Once upon a time ....

Once upon a time (2009), in a land far far away (San Antonio, TX), I was in the best shape of my adult life as I was training for a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail (AT).  I started my journey in March of 2009 and was having an incredible time.  Then my feet started hurting.  At first just at the end of the day and then it progressively got worse.  I called a very sad end to my journey after 475 miles in Damascus, VA when my feet hurt even first thing in the morning after a good nights sleep.  For me it was about the journey and not the destination and when it ceased being fun and enjoyable, I called a halt to my hike.   :(  Does anybody know how to prepare my feet for such a long journey?  Do you think barefoot conditioning would help?  Has wearing my wonderful hiking boots actually weakened my feet?

So in my sadness at the end of my AT hike my fitness level dropped and then in preparing to move from Texas to North Carolina, I hurt my lower back.  My fitness level dropped even more.  Then last November, we moved to Columbus, Ohio....the arctic tundra as far as I'm concerned.  I do not like cold....my fitness level dropped even more as I hid under my electric blanket.  

I found my motivation to get back in shape when I went camping with my sister and her six teenage grandchildren last month.  I had an awesome time, but I was having a hard time keeping up.  I did provide some good laughs when I got stuck on the monkey bars and after several failed attempts at a cartwheel.  Epic Fail!  Epic Fail!  I did by the end of the trip manage to land a cartwheel on my feet. According to the kids, however, my feet did not go high up into the air like I just knew they were.  What a great trip with some awesome memories, but I didn't like how I was feeling physically.

So after getting home and rested up, I've started my journey to get my fitness level back up where I want it to be.  I am not starting at ground zero as I can still hike all day with a full pack, which is a good thing as I have a backpacking trip planned with my brother in September.  There are those in my family that remind me, why they want to keep reminding me is beyond me, that I am 48 and not being able to be active is part of getting older and that I should just grow old gracefully.  Ha, I say, I will fight getting older with every fiber of my being.  

In this quest to get lean and mean again (I was in the Army a long, long time ago), I have started the C25K program (just finished week 3 today..woot woot) and signed up for yoga classes (hard, very hard, but love it).  I found NerdFitness while trying to figure out the proper way to run again and fell in love with this wonderful place.  I am extremely excited to start my first challenge and have been thinking about what my goals will be.  

At first I thought I would fit in as a Scout, but quickly realized they are about improving times and getting everywhere as fast as they can.  Speed has never been my thing.  I love hiking for hours and hours and hours, but I am all about the journey.  A beautiful waterfall fills me with great pleasure, a creek invites a wade in its cool waters, an overview invites contemplation and a snack....  I LOVE being on a trail (unless it's really cold ... I really need to learn to like the cold).  Then I found the Druids and felt quite at home!

I am looking forward to the challenges and to meeting my fellow Druids and all those in the other Guilds!  

To the Rebellion!!

Laureleye, I think we are definitely on the same wave length.  I truly get a lift when I see older people out DOING things whether it's hiking, biking, dancing...anything...and I point it out to whoever happens to be with me, "See they are doing it, so can I at that age."  

I too am married to a former Marine.  I refuse to let him put a Marine Corps sticker on my car (I was Army) and if he gets to Marine-like on me, I just remind him that I outranked him and have more ribbons.  bahahaha.  

I have signed up for this challenge and looking forward to spending time with the newbies before heading off to the Druids.

Archived