Forums are back in action! ×

LARPers? Any of them here?

Whats up yall?

Names Chuk, Some people know me by Spooky. Looking for, well for lack of a better term, LARPers (amtgard, Belegarth, Dagorhir, SCA) 

I'm trying to compare notes with y'all, see what you're doing to help you either

A. Get better at life in general

B. Get better at fighting

C. Strength and conditioning

D. All of the above.

Frankly, I'm going for all of the above.

I have been fighting in these games for over a decade, and probably won't quit until I can actually no longer fight. I have also been in the service for almost 7 years, so that is helping me keep in shape.

Any way. Hit me up. We can trade notes and if you are on my circuit, we could meet up and beat each other up, which I'm totally up for.

Take care Yall,

S.B

Mr. Blulite

High Priest Of the Chosen

I haven't yet, but it's definitely something I'd love to try. Any tips for a newbie looking to get into it?

learn how to create and stay in character.  it's more fun when people are acting as their character, rather than being themselves.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

learn how to create and stay in character.  it's more fun when people are acting as their character, rather than being themselves.

I dont think so, I'm a "stick jock" I beat up nerds, Always have been a stick jock too. I find it more fun when you do what you enjoy, as with every aspect of life. 

I'm not into the whole "I'm an Orc, ug ug" thing, but you maybe, and thats cool too.

As for starting to get into it, Where do you live? Search a game, look at the pictures, videos and other media outlets that a games has provided, and start there.

I was at a party when I was 15, and my buddy brought out this HIDEOUS thing that looked like a shitty bat, and hit me with it. I looked at him as if he just devoured a child in front of me... then took it from him and hit him back....  immediately hooked.

But seriously http://belegarth.comhttp://dagorhir.comhttp://www.amtgardinc.comhttp://www.sca.org 

look at them and figure what you want out.

Mr. Blulite

For sure ! In Quebec, larping is pretty big ! Doing 4 full week-ends this summer,  I'm including a picture of myself in full armor, (90 pounds of gear). I do it mainly for fun, to get a ''rest'' from modern life, no cell phones, true immersion into character. Plus it gets me in shape in a ways :P

941990_541869635858621_1818503265_n.jpg

Adventurer

STR: 3| DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | STA: 3| WIS:2| CHA:2

I've never larped, but I was big into HEMA/Viking Age Combat with my friends in high school. Similar stuff really, we even wore garb, learned a little Norse, and held blots and such.

My friends have since parted ways, but I got my wife to start sword fighting with me. Finding about nerdfitness and such as motivated me to get back into it all. I'm going to try and essentially LARP myself into better shape, and do all three. Right now I'm starting with Pell Training and strength training at the gym.

What exaclty do you mean by notes by the way? Because I've taken extensive notes on HEMA, and Martial Arts for getting in shape and such, or even just ideas for training or fun activities.

Fight On!

Here is a link to a video from a larp I did in may,  around 120 participants, from friday evening to sunday at noon, every hour of the day, non stop.  

You can spot me around 5min14 (an older bigger version of me as I have lost alot of weight since)

There was a whole camera crew on site with go pro's and hidden cameras which we barely saw !

ENJOY!

Adventurer

STR: 3| DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | STA: 3| WIS:2| CHA:2

Yupyup, though its been a while since I managed to pop into a Dag event. Mostly played with my friend who was super into it (orc, face paint and year-round training for fitness) and went to support him, but I was pleasantly surprised at how fun the atmosphere was and managed to get into it after I got over being shy. 

The food was really amazing - all the events we went to were camping ones, so we'd wander from camp to camp trading this or that (in character mostly) to try out different meals. There was also a ton of cool gear and watching the battles was awesome! Not to the point I jumped in yet, but I did get some gear made (naganata, which as a pain to make legal but works) that I still play with. I just got in from swinging it around at the kid's balls in the backyard! Lots of fun and a good upper arm workout without being dull to do.

Level 0 Healer-in-Training Druid-to-be Half-Elf

Too N000bly For Stats

One Mountain at a Time || Challenge #1

"The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away." - Pablo Picasso 

One of our DFW Klingon hosts an annual bat'letH tourney.  Our weapons are bat'letH, mek'letH, and D'K'tagH (big sword, short sword, knife).

bat'letH & mek'letH are made using 3/4in plywood cut to shape, and padded using pool noodles and duct tape.  They can hurt, they can break bones, they can draw blood.  However, strict rules of the tourney are enforced and weapons are inspected prior to matches. 

D'K'tagH they use the traditional rubber training knives w/ paint on the edges to show "cuts"

Here is a link you can check it out if you want.

http://www.janissaries.net/ikvmelota/downloads1.htm

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Yes! :) I've been involved in Dagorhir for almost 10 years and I'm looking to slowly immerse myself into SCA.

Right now I'm aiming for weight loss (I've gained about 80-90 pounds since I started doing my "dork battle") to get me back into better shape to re-hone my agility and build up my arms/back to play with a punch shield instead of relying on my ol' faithful heater shield.

I'd love to see what specific ideas you have in mind, or what you've found helpful :)

"Even if you don't make it all the way, those last 10 seconds of trying and not getting anywhere - that's where you gain the most strength." - Jessie Graff

Well, I dont have anything specific, but I pretty much do crossfit about 5 times a week, run about 10 miles or more a week, I do an hour of pel training for about an hour 3 times a week, plus heavy fighting at the park.

I would suggest starting slow, if you are not used to pushing your self to the point where you feel as if though you might puke. Thats almost every work out for me. I push my body til its out of steam. But I'm also training for a completely different reason than most people on here.

Dagorhir is a blast, Belegarth is a blast.... Hitting nerds with sticks, Its just a fun time... I wish more people could see that. But its not for everyone and I get that.

Mr. Blulite

I go to a local larp, it's small but tonnes of fun :) One big thing I found about getting in shape and losing ~30lb was that this summer I can deal with the heat a lot better, even in armour. And not carrying the extra weight just makes everything easier. I just started eating clean, strength training (Starting Strength) and doing a bit of cardio last year. This spring/summer I've had a lot more focus on cardio because I've been playing rugby and so strength training has taken a back seat when I've had to rest my body to be able to play my best.