Forums are back in action! ×

How to fit fitness into the life of a touring musician..?

After a year of stops and starts, I'm really starting to get discouraged.

I am a career music producer and performer.  So I tour 120-200 days a year.

When I'm off tour, I'll slowly grind to a start getting back into fitness routine.  Usually by the time I have to leave again, I'm doing terrific - yoga four times a week, doing isometrics weight circuits three times, running a couple of times, or just being active.

Then, I go into my craziness of travelling and all hell breaks loose.  Although that expression is too active.  More like - all hell slowly grinds to a sluggish stop.

All the stuff about hotel room workouts and normal "keep fit when you're traveling" doesn't really apply to me.  I don't get to sleep a decent night, get up and go to bed at normal office hours... or even always have a hotel to work out in.

Most of the time, I am performing and up till 3-4 am.  Then I will wake up, exhausted, five or six hours later and I have to start driving again, or get on a plane.  Usually I'll get to the next show just in time to do soundcheck, go for dinner and repeat.  I'll maybe get less than an hour in the hotel, in which I am already half asleep while I have my only opportunity to shower and get ready.

At the end of February I was fit and energized, I trained every day to go on a 37,000 mile crazy spate of touring which took me through Chile, Argentina, all across the US, Hawaii and Canada.  I did manage to fit a set of resistance bands in the suitcase, but any time I was stopped and in a place where I might be able to drop and do a few push ups, I was tired to the point of throwing up.

Came back for the summer, and haven't even been able to get back into my usual routine as my partner suddenly started having seizures the day after I had my "break" and I've been in and out of the hospital with him.

Now, I've just booked another three months away.  Mostly by car, some plane rides, and a few weeks where I'll be on a tour bus pretty much every moment I'm not travelling.  I have one more week before I leave and keep thinking I'm going to get up and do my weights and think "what's the point? I'll just be back to square one in November".

I don't even want to go into the stress of trying to eat Paleo around all this, hah.

I guess I don't know if there's really a magic answer or advice, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience maintaining a successful fitness routine in the face of a lifestyle like this.  Maybe a "two square feet inside a moving bus" workout routine?  Hah.  

Feeling incredibly discouraged and depressed about the black hole I see my fitness falling into and the lack of opportunities to do anything about it.

E.

What are you doing on stage? Bobby Seger sang "Every ounce of energy you try and give away!" That can leave you in fairly good shape.

What are your goals/targets? To do the yoga/weights/runs etc etc or to be fitter/slimmer/stronger/able to take a month or two of touring?

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

That's true, I think that what I do on stage (yes, a lot of dancing!) is the only thing that keeps me from being totally overweight, and keeps me fit enough to survive these tours.

I want to be toned and in great shape.  It's particularly hard being a female performer because you are constantly being judged by unrealistic beauty standards anyways.  Besides not having a slender build (I'm stocky, Eastern European broad-shouldered wide-hipped thick calves etc).. I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis so I take thyroid pills every day.  Means that I see results much more slowly than the average person, and also that my body holds on to weight.

Maybe I should suggest they swap the bus for a horse drawn carriage and I can be the horse, lol.

Honestly kemicat, I get exactly where you're at and the full spectrum of difficulties you're facing. And I'll probably be one of the few to say this, but I'll say it anyway: when you need your rest, just TAKE IT. Don't feel discouraged that you did a belly flop instead when you intended to do a quick set of push ups; just lie there are and let your body have its moment of recovery. :P

That being said, given the limited space you regularly experience and the lack of time to fit in dedicated workouts, the best advice I can give you is to watch your diet. Do you have to go full Paleo? Absolutely not: like Steve says, you do whatever works for YOU. So if you want to trim a little fat, find something that works for YOU to get you there. The easiest way to lose weight is to simply adjust your calories. Try simple things like dedicating all your lunches to salads only - who cares if they're from McDonalds or a 4 star menu? If it reduces your caloric intake and fills you up, go for it. Substitute popcorn or pickles for potato chips. Snack on carrots instead of candy bars. Microwave an apple or a sweet potato instead of having cake for desert. Sip on water throughout your day to stay hydrated and curb the munchies (and while I'm not a huge fan of zero-calories-because-the-taste-is-all-from-chemicals products, if it helps ease the transition from soda and sweet tea, go ahead and use them!) Find what works for you and DO THAT.

And yes, continue to try to fit in little bits of exercise here and there throughout your day. Do squats in the restroom stall, sprints in the parking lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, or even just 10 push ups before you even unpack your things in the hotel. You don't have to carve out a whole hour - or even 30 minutes - to continue making strength gains. To quote Gandalf, "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Do what you can with what you have - space-wise, time-wise, and energy-wise. And give yourself credit for doing the things you can, no matter how small they may seem: something is always better than nothing.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!