Forums are back in action! ×

Looking for Accountability

Howdy!

My name is Anthony. I'm a 27 year-old staff-member at a university in the Portland, OR area. 

I've been trying really hard to lose the weight I put on after college for about a year. Well, okay, probably not "really hard." But, it's been on my mind for a year anyhow. 

Like I said, a year ago I was on the line of overweight and obese at 6'1" and 225lbs. I downloaded MyFitnessPal, started counting calories and lost 10 pounds quickly. I also got more consistent with my gym-ing. I struggled through another 5 lbs through Thanksgiving, when the holiday food got the better of me and I quit counting calories. 

Eventually, with going to the gym and cutting out desserts from my diet for Lent I made it to 203lbs in April. Awesome. 

Then, my wife and I took a late honeymoon to Spain and Greece (also awesome), I had a 2-week trip for work right afterward and I stopped going to the gym regularly and counting calories. Anyhow, somehow I found myself in August back to 210. My original goal had been 175 by last April! Epic fail!

Starting in August I tried to get back into MFP, cut desserts out of my diet and get back to a regular gym routine in order to get back on track. GAH. I don't know why but my discipline is AWFUL now. In the last month I have lost 0 lbs, 0 oz. I am having trouble getting to the gym. Trouble avoiding sweets. Trouble recording my calories. Trouble with everything that worked before.

I know that the rational person would say, "just do those things again," and then would do them. But, I think I really need the extra accountability to help. Just some people checking on me, challenging me, etc. My wife is in great shape without really trying and doesn't really see a problem with my weight and lack of sex appeal. Also, I don't want her job to be to motivate me to be healthier/better looking. I'm too sensitive and I don't think it would work well in our relationship.

Anyhow, a buddy or two who wants to lose weight but needs some external motivation would be great for me. I notice I'm late for the most recent 6 week challenge, but I might start in on it anyhow and see if I can find some support. I'll also be working on more specific goals and grading and such.

Goals:

Get below 200lbs by 2014.

Get stronger.

Run 5k.

Hit 175 lbs by 2015. 

Not feel like a walking pair of manboobs when I take off my shirt.

Any suggestions/words of encouragement/volunteers to be a wingman would be welcome!