Forums are back in action! ×

What games is everyone currently playing?

Yeah, but LFG and LFR allow people to experience some content that previously required either spending more time with a guild than our families or standing in IF all day yelling "LFG Strat PST!". That being said, raid content sucks. I shouldn't have to do homework and download 50 addons to be an effective tank. 

I agree the addons souldn't pretty much be mandatory, it was such a pain getting everything set up just right. I eventually managed to get away with just an agro tracking addon and a badass attack/spell rotation macro that I linked to my mouse wheel. I figured out the ideal spell/attack rotation at a prot pally and made a macro that would cast the next one each time I "clicked" the macro button, with built in click lock to allow for global refresh before allowing another click. I linked it to my mouse wheel buttons (both up and down), so all I had to do was scroll back and forth contonuously and get like 10 clicks a second. It would reset after not being clicked for 5 seconds or whatever it was for all the cooldowns to be done. I never found another prot pally that could put out the volume of agro that I did. After that, the only other addon I needed was a healing one when they started to allow having a second spec/gear set to switch to at any time so I could just be an extra healer when only 1 tank was needed.

I think the homework should be included though. Each boss has to be taken in a different way, with a different strategy, it is what makes the game fun. If it wasn't that way, you just be walking up and doing the same thing over and over. As a tank, I used to have a blast in Nax. Me and the other tank got so damn good and cooridnated over the months we raided there, it was seamless. Those were my favorite times. I took pride in having the skill and knowledge to be a badass tank.

The shit I hate was having to spend hours making potions and shit to be ready. It's why I had to quit, I spent 2 days raiding and 3-4 prepping. If I could have just showed up and raiding 1-2 nights a week, I might still be playing.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

The shit I hate was having to spend hours making potions and shit to be ready. It's why I had to quit, I spent 2 days raiding and 3-4 prepping. If I could have just showed up and raiding 1-2 nights a week, I might still be playing.

Ugh, this.  I remember raiding in BC and WotLK... I was a druid tank, and also our guild's herbalist/alchemist/cook so I would just fly around in a predetermined path over and over and over for hours farming flowers and certain types of animals.  And, of course, other people were doing this too so it was always kind of a challenge to pick things before the other guys. Mind-numbing.

I did love the actual raids though, progression was fun and challenging and that guild-wide 'woohoo' when we finally took down a tough boss (Heigan gave us fits, some of our members weren't quite directionally coordinated) was fantastic.

I just started playing again with the new XPac and I really love it.  I'm a HUGE PvP fiend so I've been doing a lot of that since I've hit 100 and am having a blast.  The one other thing I'm glad they kept from the Pandaria XPac was the random treasures around the world... I'm a treasure hunting hound and that's so fun for me to explore and find stuff. :)

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Yeah, I guess it comes down to whether you value gaming for the strategy and skill development or for immersive storytelling. As I prefer the latter, WoW as well as CoD and sports games hold considerably less interest for me than Western style RPGs (I don't care much for JRPGs either, Chrono Trigger excepted).

Yeah, I don't do MMOs for the story, takes too damn long for it to develop. It's one of my main needs out of a good single player RPG though. What I'[m looking for at the time determines the games I play like you said. Need to take out agression? FPS. Looking for storytelling? RPG (FF7 and FFT are my favorites all time) or something like Assassin's Creed. Football offseason and need to scratch the itch? Madden.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yeah, but LFG and LFR allow people to experience some content that previously required either spending more time with a guild than our families or standing in IF all day yelling "LFG Strat PST!". That being said, raid content sucks. I shouldn't have to do homework and download 50 addons to be an effective tank.

I have seen a lot more people trying to put together groups in global chats which seems like a good compromise if you don't want to enter LFG.

I like LFG, but I'll admit your server rep really doesn't matter anymore. You can be as terrible as you want and the odds of being paired with the same player again are slim. I don't recall ever being paired with the same character multiple times.

Way back in the day (when UBRS was 10 man and you needed to be keyed) your server rep counted for something. Ninja looters were blacklisted, people spammed for hours assembling groups and the game pace was much slower. Lfg/lfr has removed most of the slow pace but somewhat eliminated your reputation as having to matter and the general courtesy level has shrunk as a result.

I agree.  As much as LFR and LFG kinda suck, they allow people to see content.  Remember that less than 1% of players got to see the original Naxxramas at level 60.  I count myself lucky to be among that 1%, but I totally understand why they introduced those tools.  

I did all my hardcore raiding in Vanilla and TBC, and the thing I most hated was being a dual-role player in a single-role game.  I was my guilds Prot and Ret paladin, which meant I was respeccing for nearly every fight.  And this was before dual-spec!!  If I had more than 300g on my character I felt rich.  lol.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I agree.  As much as LFR and LFG kinda suck, they allow people to see content.  Remember that less than 1% of players got to see the original Naxxramas at level 60.  I count myself lucky to be among that 1%, but I totally understand why they introduced those tools.  

I did all my hardcore raiding in Vanilla and TBC, and the thing I most hated was being a dual-role player in a single-role game.  I was my guilds Prot and Ret paladin, which meant I was respeccing for nearly every fight.  And this was before dual-spec!!  If I had more than 300g on my character I felt rich.  lol.  

The difficulty of the raids is both a good and a bad thing. It makes it more of an achievement, but sucks for people who will never ever have a chance at it. Then making it too easy has its own set of problems.

Like me. Was I good at my hunter? Yea I was ok. But my computer at the time sucked, and my connection is not really all that great. I just couldn't handle the stress of "Is my internet gonna cut out at the worst time?". I also don't play games as much as I used to, so the time commitment is not in the ballpark.

When I played I never raided. I mean I did like 3-5 times in all the time I played. And I played every expansion up to cataclysm. But what I usually did was enjoy the questing and exploring. I also did a lot of fishing... Usually I reached max fishing before I reached the level cap. Then by the time I got to raiding level a new expansion was either coming out, or I had no interest in it. WOTLK was the only one that ever interested me (I still never raided in it though) because I love that part of the lore...

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I also did a lot of fishing

WOTLK was the only one that ever interested me (I still never raided in it though) because I love that part of the lore...

Fishing?  Ugh.  You're a better man than I.  I think between all of my characters I've got fishing up to maybe skill 100 or so.

If you do decide to come back, once you hit level 90 you can pretty much solo all of the Wrath content.  It's definitely worth doing at least once.  You're right.  That's one of the most lore-heavy xpacs ever made.  And it's done really well.  

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Fishing?  Ugh.  You're a better man than I.  I think between all of my characters I've got fishing up to maybe skill 100 or so.

If you do decide to come back, once you hit level 90 you can pretty much solo all of the Wrath content.  It's definitely worth doing at least once.  You're right.  That's one of the most lore-heavy xpacs ever made.  And it's done really well.  

At one point a friend and I (in game) grabbed the keg from that octoberfest holiday thing they had in game, dressed up in some fishing gear and went fishing... In wow... Yea I stopped playing not too long after that. 

I actually used to spam trade with the fact that I would fish for whatever people wanted. I had a decent business going. I could even cook it all if people wanted it!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

At one point a friend and I (in game) grabbed the keg from that octoberfest holiday thing they had in game, dressed up in some fishing gear and went fishing... In wow... Yea I stopped playing not too long after that. 

I actually used to spam trade with the fact that I would fish for whatever people wanted. I had a decent business going. I could even cook it all if people wanted it!

I loved fishing and cooking too, and maxed both out fairly early. Cooking was an underused skill for most people.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625

Dwarf fortress, since my desktop is currently dismantled. Also because I'm apparently a glutton for punishment, which ought to go well with joining the warriors.

Dwarf Warrior

Level 2| Str 4| Dex 1| Con 3| Sta 3| Wis 1| Cha 1|

Spoiler

Deadlift 2x BW

80%
80%

Squat 1x BW

74%
88%

Floor press 1x BW

86%
86%

Press .75x BW

79%
79%

"A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry"

Daily battle log

Current challenge

SO many games... got Mario Kart 8 and Captain Toad for the WiiU and Castlevania LoS 2 for the 360 for Christmas, and I just picked up The Witcher and The Witcher 2 during the Steam Sale... Oh and my fiancee got Just Dance 4...

>.>

<.<

I'm better than her at it...

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

I need to start this, it looks adorable!

It's pretty fun. I only really play in small spurts though because it's very much the same thing over and over again (with varying degrees of puzzle difficulty). But it's good for a break from other, more serious games.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

It's pretty fun. I only really play in small spurts though because it's very much the same thing over and over again (with varying degrees of puzzle difficulty). But it's good for a break from other, more serious games.

I kinda forgot I ordered it so when it showed up, I was pretty surprised. Just need to pry myself away from Halo and GTA for long enough to give it a go. :)

I kinda forgot I ordered it so when it showed up, I was pretty surprised. Just need to pry myself away from Halo and GTA for long enough to give it a go. :)

So many games, so little time...

• Like 1

Level 5 Viking Berserker

I'm currenlty playing Elder Scrolls Online, it's my first time playing an MMO of any kind and I both find it awesome, 'cause Elder Scrolls lore and also terrifying. I mean I have to play with other real life people. Whenever I find myself in a group dungeon I get so jittery I have issues finding the keys. :)

Whenever my internet connection is down I revert back to Oblivion, I usually listen to the soundtrack from Warcraft 3 when playing. Doing that makes me feel stupidly happy. 

• Like 1

Ent - Level 3

Strength (STR) - 6     Dexterity (DEX) - 0.5     Stamina (STA) - 2.5     Constitution (CON) - 2     Wisdom (WIS) - 2.75     Charisma (CHA) - 0

Squat 50 kg Current weight: 42,5

85%
85%

Short term goal to finish a 30 day squat challenge.

100%
100%

Not the typical "game", but I just started playing Ingress.  I have to say - WOW.  If you haven't seen it before, check it out. 

Level 3: Wood Elf, Assassin

| STR: 5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 3 | CON: 7 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3 |

“We love our superheroes because they refuse to give up on us. We can analyze them out of existence, kill them, ban them, mock them, and still they return, patiently reminding us of who we are and what we wish we could be.† - Grant Morrison

League of Extraordinary Nerds

Current Challenge 

Progress:

3%
3%