Forums are back in action! ×

Is anyone else looking forward to Star Citizen...

...as much as I am!?  Seriously, it's shaping up to be a fracking awesome game.  

If you haven't heard of it (you must live under a rock), it's the game that's breaking every record out there for crowdfunding.  

Take a look: www.robertsspaceindustries.com

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I just starting looking at this game the other day. Co worker showed it to me, after I finally got him to watch Firefly and Serenity hehehe he's hooked. Looks awesome hoping I can save some money for the cutlass =)

• Like 1

Level: 2 Half Orc Class: Adventurer  STR: 3 DEX: 3 STA: 3 CON: 3 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

My Daily Battle

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

You will never be free until you free yourself from the prison of your own false thoughts.

So this post made me crawl out from under the comfortable rock I was living under this morning... and I think I've spent all day reading up on it and geeking out. This is like my dream game; almost too good to be true.

Why did you do this to me!? :excitement:

• Like 1

Raevn

Level 2 Wood Elf Assassin

Challenges 1 | 2

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.†- John F. Kennedy

I kickstarted Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous at the same time, on the premise that at least ONE would end up being a worthwhile successor to the genre.

Then I wound up so busy I haven't been able to follow the development of either one. :(

• Like 1
"|Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Level 3 Wood Elf Ranger  | STR11DEX5STA6CON3WIS2CHA3 ]

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

[ Challenges: 1 2 Current ||RPG Fanatics Goblin Ganker ]

I am a true Wing Commander nerd. I played all of the games (and their expansions), read (own and still re-read) the books, even own the crappy Freddy Prinze/Matt Lillard movie that at least uses the same names of ships, characters, etc. (I count that as the "JJ Abrams" version of Wing Commander). Needless to say, I'm excited,  but very cautiously so...

The vids for Star Citizen look awesome, however pretty much all I've seen out there so far is pre-rendered, no actual "in-space gameplay" yet.

On the single-player side, it sounds like a reboot sorta of Privateer (which was my absolute very favorite WC game), and I like the "beneficiary" mechanic on the MMO side, vs just "oh, you're immortal and will zap to a new clone when you DIaF" (Fair Disclosure: I'm an avid EVE Online player as well). Just remains to be seen how well this will all work out in-game.

Graphics look amazing, but ofc that begs the question: "Do I need to run out and buy/build a high-end gaming machine to fully enjoy the experience?" I plan on doing that anyway so non-issue for me, but for the "average" PC gamer, it's a valid and legit question.

Lastly, there's the RL legal question. Star Citizen references things directly from Wing Commander--a Bengal-class carrier, for instance, or Hornet-class fighter craft. Did Roberts retain the rights to the WC IP and its derivatives? If so, why not make the WC reference more direct? If not, he's treading really sketchy ground -- EA or whoever bought the WC rights from them when they absorbed Origin Systems, may just be letting him do the "heavy lifting", and see if this really is a profitable venture. As soon as it gets big, expect the Courtroom PvP to be hot and heavy.

Many EVE players have been calling Star Citizen the EVE-killer...but whereas EVE is essentially an MMO-SpaceRTS with huge battles, open-world PvP, and no specific direction for players (a "sandbox" game where kicking the sand in others' faces is both allowed and modestly encouraged), Star Citizen looks to be tactical in nature and with small-scale "instanced battleground" PvP.

I'm also slightly off-put by the "nice ships for donations" or "buying" ships mentioned above. Admittedly, I'm not all that familiar with the mechanics involved, but from an "outsider looking in" standpoint, it sounds like an up-front, wholehearted endorsement of Pay-2-Win.

It might be a nice distraction, and the single-player value of Squadron 42 might be worthwhile, but I doubt it'll be pulling me away from my Spreadsheets Online on a permanent basis.

• Like 1

Insert witty & pithy saying here.

I just starting looking at this game the other day. Co worker showed it to me, after I finally got him to watch Firefly and Serenity hehehe he's hooked. Looks awesome hoping I can save some money for the cutlass =)

Way to go hooking a coworker on Firefly!  Now when you all say Shiny Gorram whatever, nobody else will know what you're talking about!  Hope to see you in the [star Citizen] 'Verse! 

Why did you do this to me!? :excitement:

I'm very slightly evil like that!   :devilish:

I kickstarted Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous at the same time, on the premise that at least ONE would end up being a worthwhile successor to the genre.

Then I wound up so busy I haven't been able to follow the development of either one. :(

I have a feeling one or both will definitely meet your expectations!  

I am a true Wing Commander nerd. I played all of the games (and their expansions), read (own and still re-read) the books, even own the crappy Freddy Prinze/Matt Lillard movie that at least uses the same names of ships, characters, etc. (I count that as the "JJ Abrams" version of Wing Commander). Needless to say, I'm excited,  but very cautiously so...

The vids for Star Citizen look awesome, however pretty much all I've seen out there so far is pre-rendered, no actual "in-space gameplay" yet.

On the single-player side, it sounds like a reboot sorta of Privateer (which was my absolute very favorite WC game), and I like the "beneficiary" mechanic on the MMO side, vs just "oh, you're immortal and will zap to a new clone when you DIaF" (Fair Disclosure: I'm an avid EVE Online player as well). Just remains to be seen how well this will all work out in-game.

Graphics look amazing, but ofc that begs the question: "Do I need to run out and buy/build a high-end gaming machine to fully enjoy the experience?" I plan on doing that anyway so non-issue for me, but for the "average" PC gamer, it's a valid and legit question.

Lastly, there's the RL legal question. Star Citizen references things directly from Wing Commander--a Bengal-class carrier, for instance, or Hornet-class fighter craft. Did Roberts retain the rights to the WC IP and its derivatives? If so, why not make the WC reference more direct? If not, he's treading really sketchy ground -- EA or whoever bought the WC rights from them when they absorbed Origin Systems, may just be letting him do the "heavy lifting", and see if this really is a profitable venture. As soon as it gets big, expect the Courtroom PvP to be hot and heavy.

Many EVE players have been calling Star Citizen the EVE-killer...but whereas EVE is essentially an MMO-SpaceRTS with huge battles, open-world PvP, and no specific direction for players (a "sandbox" game where kicking the sand in others' faces is both allowed and modestly encouraged), Star Citizen looks to be tactical in nature and with small-scale "instanced battleground" PvP.

I'm also slightly off-put by the "nice ships for donations" or "buying" ships mentioned above. Admittedly, I'm not all that familiar with the mechanics involved, but from an "outsider looking in" standpoint, it sounds like an up-front, wholehearted endorsement of Pay-2-Win.

It might be a nice distraction, and the single-player value of Squadron 42 might be worthwhile, but I doubt it'll be pulling me away from my Spreadsheets Online on a permanent basis.

I'm sorry, what?  Virtually everything they've released has been in-engine.  The Hangar Module is actual game files since they're releasing it in chunks to backers.  The Dogfighting Module is due out within the next few months too.  

I already built a new PC for it, but you do have a valid point there.  It will be hardware-intense.  But that's their goal.  Chris Roberts has said they want to push the boundaries of gaming.  That's one reason they aren't releasing it on consoles either.  

The whole "nice ships for donations" thing is part of the crowdfunding.  You don't have to buy anything to play once the Persistent Universe goes live (outside of the game itself, of course).  The ships are just a bonus for backers.  Take a gander around their forums for a while.  Every single one of your questions has been answered more than once.  

In any case, I'm stoked to see I'm not the only one looking forward to this game!  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™