Forums are back in action! ×

Trying to move forward

Hi, my name is Robin and I'm a chronic nerd. I'm 38 and recently separated with 2 kids. I'm doing it tough to put it mildly, but it does no good whining about it. I'm sure plenty others have been in the same situation. I want to be able to move forward in my life though and while I'm not sure how to do it, I thought making an effort to be better fit would help. I've lost about 10 pounds in the past month because food really has no taste for me still. However, I need to try to increase my strength. I am truly very weak with no muscle tone but I am not really that much overweight. My plan is start slow with walking and some simple stretching and some light weights. If I don't kill my back, shoulders and knees, I'd like to look into heavier weights. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially when it comes to trying convince children to walk. :)

• Like 1

Welcome Robin :)

You'll find lots of info and support here.

I've found that walking for the sake of walking doesn't appeal to the kids. It has to be "scenic" or towards a destination. Are there any healthy treats within walking distance? Maybe not this time of year, but I could get my kids to walk to farmers' markets, for example. Or we would walk to a playground.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Barfly

• Like 1

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Welcome to the rebellion, Robin!

If you want to involve the kids in your walking, maybe try to mix in some other activity like Barfly suggested. Maybe you could do a "bird bingo" type of thing. Get some binoculars and a book about bird watching and go to town. If that's not to your liking, you can try a different variation: identify the car, memorize the neighborhood, spot the driving violations, anything really. It can be a great opportunity to learn and teach kids about directions too. Get a map and compass and make it an adventure. It takes a bit of work to prepare routes, but it can be tremendously fun.

If you make it a game, you might interest the kids. Or, depending on how old they are, how about you skip the walk and go straight to a sport you can play with them? Like basketball, soccer, football, anything.

Good luck with your goals and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Nice to meet you, Robin! Welcome to the Rebellion!

One of the best ever strength training programs I've ever seen is the Nerd Fitness Beginner's Body Weight Workout! It's not too hard on the joints, and really gets your body conditioning primed up for stronger workouts later. I felt silly as hell doing pushups on the stairs for the first month, but the change in my strength and ability was SO worth it! Give it a shot!

And let us know if you have any questions! Great group of supporters here!

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG