Forums are back in action! ×

Well hey!

Consider me lost, wandering around aimlessly looking at all the pretty graphics while all you pros out there are successfully accomplishing missions and slaying beasts...

Seriously, I have no idea what I'm doing on these forums. I guess I'll just have to look around a bit and get my bearings!

But for now, I'll give you a little info about myself: I'm 24, about 5'7" and 130lbs. About to get some calipers to work up some body fat %, but I know it's pretty low. I have a pretty decent build right now for not having really worked out in a while. Maybe I'll post some beginning pics soon. In high school, I did weight training and sports, had a 1rm bench of 185 and squat at 225 while still weighing in around 130-135. Needless to say, slacking through college and the past couple years, I can't do quite that much anymore. Just starting back up, but my calculated bench max is 155 (working through some shoulder injuries and don't want to strain it too much by doing an actual 1rm.

I'm looking to bulk up a bit, maybe actually show how strong I actually am with clothes on rather than look scrawny until I'm shirtless (then I still look JUST muscular enough to probably not be considered scrawny). At the same time, I want to maintain maximum flexibility and movement efficiency. I'm having a rough time figuring out how to schedule my strength training though, as my work schedule is tough to predict.

I like to play guitar, hike mountains (like in Colorado now, so I'm in a dream world), rock climb, pretty much any outdoors sport. I'm also just now starting parkour classes and am crazy excited. I'm also a sucker for RPGs (though I only play consoles. only have a laptop and can't afford a real gaming compy) my favorites right now are Assassin's Creed series and The Elder Scrolls. I'm a completionist, so since I picked up Oblivion not long before Skyrim came out, I'm just now getting to Skyrim...

ANYWAY, I think I just rambled a ton and hopefully something made sense. I'm really excited to get back into strength training and achieving a useful, strong body. I found NF and instantly it became my favorite site. So I'm hopeful that everyone on here will be able to help me through this journey! If anyone wants to know more about me, just ask! I'm an open book!

Now my first question...the heck do I do now?

Glingaerben the Wood Elf

Level 1 Ranger Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: #1, 2

Battle Log

This is a great article for you, it certainly helped me. Remember, diet is the most important part of bulking.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/07/17/a-skinny-guys-guide-to-building-muscle-and-bulking-up/

Personally, I do a Bodyweight workout using increasingly difficult exercises to increment up as opposed to a weighted workout that simply adds weight. I've already seen results using the pyramid pullup routine in my workout (which goes against steve's general "12+ reps only get you muscular endurance" rule, since you disallow a buildup of lactic acid). Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck

Thanks for the welcome! I guess my first goal would be to establish a consistent routine...

I'm thinking my best bet would be in the morning, though that means working out at 5:30...

anyone have tips for early morning workouts?

I work out at 3:30 in the morning. :D 

If you want to work out early in the morning, I suggest you take the time to rehydrate first. I know I'm always parched when I wake up. Drink a couple glasses of water, let it settle then start on your workout.

If you live in an apartment, mind you don't make too much noise and disturb the neighbours. ;)

Other than that, it's just an ordinary workout. Go ahead and crush it! It really helps to kick start your day. Enjoy a nice hot shower afterwards. :)

Good luck!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I don't think I would be able to function the rest of the day if I got up in time to work out at 3:30 o_O

But I admire you for being able to do so! That's great advice, as I probably wouldn't have thought of it myself and ended up too dehydrated...

I do live in an apartment, but we actually have a legit fitness center with a barbell setup and a HUGE dumbbell set, so I'll head over there and not have to wake anyone up!

Glingaerben the Wood Elf

Level 1 Ranger Assassin

Battle Log

anyone have tips for early morning workouts?

I feel at my strongest first thing in the morning so that's when I train, too - plus it gives me an endorphin blast to set me up in a good mood for the day.

As Silver says, the first thing you do should be rehydrate yourself upon waking - once you've had a couple of large glasses of water down, you should be good to go. If you need an extra kick, try a strong black coffee if you can stomach it (I love the stuff myself!) but make sure you're hydrated first :)

I'm not much of a caffeine guy. Only in emergencies (I drive for work, so rather than fall asleep at the wheel, I'll use a powdered energy drink I also sell...mixed with orange gatorade if I have it)

If I can get myself out of bed I usually wake up pretty quickly...probably just need to get in a routine and I'll be fine. Just take time!

Glingaerben the Wood Elf

Level 1 Ranger Assassin

Battle Log