Forums are back in action! ×

Roll the Dice for Health

Hey all,

gamedice, here.  I'm a 5'10", 230lb guy from Los Angeles.

I've been overweight for about 3 years now.  Only up until recently has it really come to bother me.  I feel sluggish, have no energy, run out of breath going up a flight of stairs, and don't like what I see in the mirror.  On top of that, my weight has resulted in nerve injury in my lower back and butt from constant desk job sitting.  The one positive is that I haven't gotten any fatter in the past 2 years.

I used to swim, lift, and play football in high school.  In college I lifted and ran, but my reaction to entering the working world turned me into a slug.  I ate my stress away and pounded the booze and soda.

I remember how it used to feel, having lots of energy and confidence.  I want it back.

I just need a start point now that I have the motivation.

There's a solid gym near my house that has everything from free weights to yoga classes - I am going there for the first time this weekend.

SODA!! UGGGH!!! Way too addicted to this stuff.  I'm not sure what to do.  Willpower is not an abundant resource here.

Now I need a plan of attack.  I'll be scoping the 6 week challlenge thread later this evening.  It looks like I got here at just the right time!  Seeya on the forums!

- gamedice

• Like 1

Welcome. Is the nerve damage sciatica? If so I feel your pain (literally).

Sounds like you are ready to make big changes. Look into the beginners body weight workout its a great starting place. Just don't over do it in the beginning its easy to do if you haven't be that active for a while.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Deslok

Level 2 Human Adventurer

Stats: STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 3 CON - 3 WIS - 3 CHA - 2

Begin Date: 1/6/2014 - Target Date: 1/5/2015

Begin Weight: 302.5 lbs - Current Weight: 288.0 lbs - Target Weight: 200 lbs

Height: 5'8" - Age: 43

Daily Battle Log No longer updated

6  Week Challenges

4th challenge

I Floop the Pig!

I have bouts of Sciatica and I find that yoga and stretching at home really make a difference.

Deslok

Level 2 Human Adventurer

Stats: STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 3 CON - 3 WIS - 3 CHA - 2

Begin Date: 1/6/2014 - Target Date: 1/5/2015

Begin Weight: 302.5 lbs - Current Weight: 288.0 lbs - Target Weight: 200 lbs

Height: 5'8" - Age: 43

Daily Battle Log No longer updated

6  Week Challenges

4th challenge

I Floop the Pig!

Willpower is not an abundant resource here.

I think willpower is always a finite resource. What has helped me is outsourcing whatever I can -- I take group fitness classes so that just stopping the workout when I am tired and don't want to push through isn't an option, for example. Obviously, what works for you may be different, but I'm sure you'll find it.

Good luck!