Forums are back in action! ×

I'll take "Potent Potables" for $200, Alex

Translate: pants?

Sorry. Pants = a bit rubbish

You don't say that...? "It's a bit pants."? You can also use it as "Aw pants! I've just spilled my beer." ;)

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I disagree on malt extract (the syrupy stuff); that's what I've been using, and I like the results I'm getting.  But you need good specialty grains, good hops, good yeast, and good process to make good beer with malt extract.  It's certainly very easy to make mediocre beer.  If you're getting the fully prepackaged kits, it's possible that they've been sitting on the shelf way too long.  The extract lasts forever, but the other stuff has a definite shelf life.

No, we don't say pants (pants = underwear in the UK, correct?), but I might have to start.

Haha! Yeah, pants are knickers over here. I don't think it works so well to say "Aw trousers! I've just spilled my beer" *snigger*

Mind you, "Aw knickers!..." Doesn't exactly sound right either. ;)

Another good colloquialism is "fud" used as "fucks sake! You just spilled my beer ya fud!"

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Haha! Yeah, pants are knickers over here. I don't think it works so well to say "Aw trousers! I've just spilled my beer" *snigger*

Another good colloquialism is "fud" used as "fucks sake! You just spilled my beer ya fud!"

I thought you just glassed them if they did that :/

Sorry, trainspotting fan here ;)

• Like 1

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

I'm also a fan of the term "piss take."

But really, it's the little things that cause the most fun.  I hear Helena Bonham Carter was mortified when she found out what "I haven't been fucked like that since grade school" meant in American.

I'd have thought the translation for that would be pretty much universal??

I learned the translation between pants and trousers when I asked my gf at the time if the tie I picked out went with my pants...

• Like 1

Nah, you got that spot on...

But really, it's the little things that cause the most fun. I hear Helena Bonham Carter was mortified when she found out what "I haven't been fucked like that since grade school" meant in American.

....but how can that one be misinterpreted...?

I'd not heard that about Bonham Carter before. I know that the original line was supposed to be "I want to have your abortion", but they had to change it as it was too offensive, so the director negotiated that the line could be changed but the new line wasn't up for negotiation, so she must have known that is was going to be pretty close to the line.