Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, everyone.

Quick introduction: five foot six/seven, working full-time, part-time university student. Needing some encouragement.

I'm getting married in a year and would like to get my waist size down from 44" back to 34". I don't know how many pounds that is, I just wanna fit into my old tuxedo pants. I know it can be done. (Also, we're flying to Europe for our honeymoon and I want to be as comfy as possible in those airplane seats because it's a LONG trip.) My fiancé is also working on her weight, by going to the gym twice a week and doing Weight Watchers (which I told her is crap, but whatever - she refuses to go Paleo and I don't like arguing that much. LOL).

I'm already familiar with the Paleo Diet, but I can't do intermittent fasting because I take medicine twice a day requiring me to eat two meals a day. My first meal is orange juice, yogurt, a banana, and a handful of strawberries. Supper is kind of anything goes, depending on how adventurous I am in the kitchen. Since I spend most of my time indoors (my cubicle is in a room without windows), I take a vitamin D pill every day.

I used to be a runner and a dancer, but I got "runner's knee" and quit, which led to a steady increase in body fat over the last 15 years. Now I have a job which requires sitting/standing most of the day.

I have a hard time sticking to things because I am so busy and I forget stuff. (I even forget my meds sometimes...) I've started doing the bodyweight routine at home. Surprisingly, it doesn't hurt my knees that much, but I still forget that I need to do it every other day. So how do you stay motivated? Go naked in front of the mirror every day? Listen to some hard driving music? Anything will help. I've tried lists, making a calendar... it's hard for me to integrate anything new into my routine, but I really am trying. I'm open to any ideas at this point, because I NEED to stick with this. I need my health back so I can enjoy my marriage and being a father. (I'm 35 now, so I'm getting a late start, and want to be healthy so I can keep up with the kids as much as possible.)

Well, I guess that's not such a quick introduction after all. Oops. Anyway, hi. Looking forward to chatting with you. :)

-Prof. C

• Like 1

I find that setting reminders in the calender of my iphone with alarms helps me to remember to workout. Also, as far as motivation goes, I set my computer desktop background to a picture of myself when I was in shape. It helps to remind me to workout and why I'm doing it. Also, measure your arms, legs, neck, and waist with measuring tape. The best motivation is seeing your own progress. Good luck!

285lbs -> 200lbs

0%
0%

? Body Fat % -> 18%

0%
0%

“Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.†- Bruce Lee

Ne Obliviscaris

The thing about motivation is that everyone has a different one.

So, how to find yours?

My motivation was my daughter.  She needed a 'helper' so I became her guide.  No motivation stronger than love :)

As for my daughter I would set up motivational 'gifts' as she reached every 5 lb marker.  The first one was having her nails done.  Another was a video game.  The next will be a 'rad' hairdoo that entails shaving the sides of her head and getting streaks (it will be easy to keep over the summer)..... and so on.

What motivates you?

motivation is tough the best for me is to just go and pay for something then I'll use it since I'm tight like that but the reminders on my phone helps too.

I found my time for working out is straight after work before I sit down for anything and I just cant get up early to do it.

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

I wish you the best of luck, its been a good long time since I was in the 30's.  Unfortuneatly I can't really offer any help as others have said everyone has different motivation and the waist is not one of my goals, but in playing the game of getting fit it would be a real nice bonus.  Good Luck!