Forums are back in action! ×

Hello Rebellion!

I've been reading the NF blog for a while now, but decided it was time to join to the community in order to dedicate myself that much more.

A couple months ago, I hit my 29th birthday. Being one year away from thirty caused me to take a look back and reflect on the previous year. I was pretty shocked; I realized that I wasn't living the life I wanted, in any way. I was at a job I hated, was overweight and had been for most of my 20's, hadn't been on a date in a while, finances were a bit of a mess, and ultimately wasn't happy. It was quite a wake up call. I decided then and there, that this year would be different, and I'd finally make all of those changes that I'd wanted to do for years.

Reflecting on the past year, the thing I was most proud of was completing a Warrior Dash with a couple friends. I was hesitant at first, but they coaxed me into it. I didn't do much to prepare for it; just went on a diet (a very poor version of one as I've now learned) and started a bit of cardio about three weeks prior. I was incredibly nervous the day of the event, but I decided I wasn't going to quit. It wasn't super easy, but I made it through. The happiness I felt after completing something I had thought I could never do was incredible. An accomplishment! An achievement!

Afterwards I figured I deserved to go out for a big meal and drinks with friends, and I could take a while off from working out, and blah blah blah blah, fastforward to February of this year where even those meager habits I developed back then have evaporated, and I'm still fat and unhappy. That was when I realized that I needed to make serious changes in my life, fitness being at the top of the list.

I scoured the interwebs for resources, initially finding Whole30 and the book It Starts With Food, which I read in one sitting. It was eye-opening. As soon as Paleo was on my radar, it didn't take long to find Steve's articles and Nerd Fitness. Finally, something that made sense! Not a quick-fix, unnatural, and depriving "diet", but a long-term lifestyle change. I jumped headfirst into Paleo and haven't looked back since.

Fastforward again to the present. I've stuck with Paleo/Primal eating. I quit my old job, moved, and found one that actually makes me happy, instead of filling me with dread. I'm getting my finances on track. I've begun walking to work, hiking on weekends, and have more recently started the BBWW 3x weekly. I'm happy to report that I've gone from 239 to 214 lbs! I decided to finally join the community as a means of keeping me on track even more. You know, accountability (especially with the upcoming 6 week challenge). I've come to realize that it's not about a starting point and an endpoint, it's about continually striving for more, and "leveling up" in every way.

Ok, enough with all that crap, Nerd cred time. I'm a sci-fi book guy. I love Tolkien, Asimov, Heinlein, Card, Adams, and of course, George R. R. Martin. Throw in some Stephen King and Kurt Vonnegut too. I've lost countless days playing all the Assassin's Creed games, both Portal installments, and spent way more time than is healthy playing Skyrim. I'm also thoroughly addicted Star Talk podcasts. And, I like Sleestaks.

Happy to be part of the Rebellion!

-Cheers

• Like 4

Wow! What you've done already is amazing man! I think that deserves a *fist bump*

I really hope you enjoy doing the challenge, it's a great way to keep motivated and accountable, and it's also a great way to meet fellow rebels and integrate into the community.  Hope you have fun with it.

See you around

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Sounds like you have made a  lot of great changes in your life. Can't wait to hear more about you levelling up.

I thought Sleestaks were something only us oldies who were alive back then knew about. Is Land of the Lost still airing somewhere? I should watch it again. I loved that show when I was a kid. Except Sleestaks. I hated them. They gave me nightmares. So, your name kinda creeps me out. ;) 

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Thanks everybody!

Elastigirl- I remember seeing them as a kid, then a few years later a friend of mine had to make a Photoshop project in school, and made me a poster of Kurt Russell from The Thing (another love of mine) wielding a flamethrower and fighting Sleestaks. I've been hooked ever since. Sorry for bringing back creepy memories.

Thanks everybody!

Elastigirl- I remember seeing them as a kid, then a few years later a friend of mine had to make a Photoshop project in school, and made me a poster of Kurt Russell from The Thing (another love of mine) wielding a flamethrower and fighting Sleestaks. I've been hooked ever since. Sorry for bringing back creepy memories.

haha. That's ok, good memories too. I loved that show!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Awesome progress!  I'm a couple years older, and was in a very simliar place around 30, and recently.  Great job on what've you done so far.

• Like 1

Level 2 Rebel
STR: 5    DEX: 1    STA: 7    CON: 6    WIS: 4    CHA: 4

"The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward."

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1