Forums are back in action! ×

Fitness/Health Newbie Here

I'm a 29 year old Male that woke up yesterday morning, looked in the mirror, and finally got disgusted with myself.  I've tried various methods of losing weight in the past and for one reason or another never stuck with them.  I always tried on my own without any support and think that may have been part of my downfall.  I was surfing around yesterday and stumbled across nerd fitness.  I browsed some of the articles, read about the Academy, and think this might be a community I'd be able to fit into and find the support I need to be successful.  I've always hated going to the gym as I always feel like I'm being judged by everyone else in them so a virtual community seems to me like the best place to get started.

Other things about me: I'm an IT professional, video gamer, harley rider.  I'm 5'9" 240lbs and know I've got a lot of work to get done on myself.  I think I've finally hit my breaking point and am serious about getting into shape before I get any older and unhealthier.

I look forward to becoming part of your community!

• Like 5

HyrulianHero, Level 1: Lycan Adventurer
STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!  I think you have found the right place.  I'm in educational technology myself.  Currently, I'm teaching at the university, but I will probably end back up in IT admin soon!!

You can participate here in different ways - one of the challenges newcomers have is that it can seem a bit unstructured.  The idea is that we support your goals and plans.  Give advice and point you to resources.  But ultimately, you decide and choose.  Treat your fitness like a careful experiment to see what works. 

Personally, I like the challenge structure.  6 weeks where you focus on a few SMART goals, see if they work for you, and then you have a chance to pick different goals in the next 6-week challenge.  Enough time to really give an approach time to work (if it will), but not so much that you feel like you're stuck in an unproductive routine.

Instructions for the challenges are here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33328-challenge-instructions/

Holler if you have questions.

Meanwhile, think about what you like to do for exercise/sports.  Sounds like the gym won't be where you want to start.  Me, I've gotten to the point where I put my headphones in, head down, and just do what I do - ignoring everyone else so long as we're safely spread out. 

Many of us have been where you are.  Just reach out and ask for what you need. 

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Thanks!  I'm going to spend the next few days continuing to read the articles and try to set my goals.  A huge part that I think I need to evaluate first is how I eat(as it's currently about as unhealthy as it can be).  I think the Paleo diet is something I'll actually be able to stick to with a bit of discipline, so I think I'm going to start there.

HyrulianHero, Level 1: Lycan Adventurer
STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

I was self conscious when I started going to the gym and lifting.  I played football, wrestled, lifted as much as I wanted in high school (until creatine, then I some lifted more)  

I started going and at the time I think a nearby school had there weighting class at the Y that I was going to.  Needless to say I was feeling like crap looking around and seeing these 'teenage bros' doing their arms and like I was a wus.  I let it get to me the first time, but just tried to focus, on my workout.  After the third week I went in there was definite improvement on my form and was getting a closer to what they were able to lift.  the support I received on here helped a lot and also found a guy in his 60's at the gym and told how I was feeling about lifting as 'light' as I was.  He told me to keep it up, as long as I was enjoying it and progressing It doesn't matter what other people see or think.

• Like 1

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

Welcome, good choice in choosing a Paleo diet it works and it is easy to stick to once your past the sugar craving stage.

Like you I got to the stage of being disgusted with being a fat sloth since then I have lost about 40 pounds and I know its a cliche but if I can do it the most anybody can.

It's never to late to be the person you always wanted to be.

The voice in your head telling you that you can't do it is a damn liar.

Endorphins, the best high you can have.