Forums are back in action! ×

Programmer looking to reprogram!

First time post,

Hey people! My name is Dave from West Chester PA. I'm a 29 year-old programmer and I've been looking to stop being so whimpy. Here's my story

I've never really been a "fit" person, although when I was in middle school I did wrestle, and was ok at it. I did marching band in high school. I was mainly a music and theatre nut so I didn't really focus on any kind of excercise, although being so active kept my matabolism working functionally. 

After high school I tried a career as a singer/songwriter at piano. I moved to Chicago in 2005 and actually landed a job in an off-broadway play as a music producer! But I didn't want to get sued by a play we were making a parody of, so I left and went back home to Philly, found a desk job at a banking Transfer Agency. I then met my wife, and we quickly had three kids... in three years! I eventually took up a job at Best Buy and then started freelance programming.

Fast Forward to now... here's my situation:

Not fat, not scrawny, but definitely not in shape and not that strong. I sit a lot.

I am, what you might call energetic to a fault

That's it.... I thought that would be longer. Anyway, to the point. I've made up my mind I'm sick of being this doughey-physique guy. I want to finally be fit before I turn 30, which will be August. So I have four months to start kicking my own ass to get myself into shape. Here's my plan!

I have no weights, and joining a gym is a challenge as we're buying a house soon, so here goes:

I've already switched to the Paleo diet. This made tons of sense that I can't believe I didn't think of it before

I'm waking up at 6 each day for breakfast - Eggs, veggies!

6:20 each day

- Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays is Strength Training

-- I'm going with the beginner full body weight workout circuit for now. I do eventually want to switch to heavy weights!

- Sundays/Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays is interval training

-- I've worked out the 30 sec/ 2 minute intervalls and I'll be using Steve's interval training method

Then it's off to work!

- Around 9:30 I'm going to try a snack. Maybe an apple/carrots, something delicious but no carbs

- 10:30  I was thinking smoothies (Banana-Strawberry smoothies with some protein shake in there? [i know it's not paleo!])

- 12:00 Lunch I'm taking Staci's idea of pre-cooking my lunches for the week every sunday. Chicken! And lots and lots of veggies

- 1:00 I want to eat more veggies

- Maybe one more snack in between 1 and 4 when I leave

Dinner - Meat and... yeah... more veggies! I really like veggies now... I switched to paleo last week and I've never eaten as many veggies in my life! 

So that's my daily plan! I'm hoping this will kickstart my body and I'm hoping it will produce some results. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I eating too much for that kind of routine? Is the routine too much too soon? 

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 2

public class Starter{

private Person me;

public Starter(Person whoIWas){

this.me = whoIWas;

this.changeMe(new Person(Strong, Athletic, Fit));

System.out.println("It has begun!");

}

public void changeMe(Person guyIWantToBe){

this.me = guyIWantToBe;

}

}

Welcome aboard Dave. If that routine works for you it's not too much but if you find yourself struggling and want to switch it up you can ask anyone here and you'll get the help you need. Also once your food is healthy you cant really over do it just watch the fruit intake a little with the smoothie as your sugar intake could creep up a bit. As for your workouts the bodyweight routine is great and if you do happen to eventually want more of a challenge you can always look at just increasing the difficulty of the bodyweight exercises if you don't have the funds or time for a gym.

Throw a backpack with two liters of water in it on and you'll notice the difference and there's always increasing difficulties. Whatever suits we'll help you do it.

• Like 1

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

Hey! Welcome on board.

If you're worried (thinking?) about your diet and your calorie intake, then there's some basic things you can do to get a better idea of where you stand.

First off - you can work out how many calories you actually need. You can find your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) using free on-line calculators. Just google 'em.

Second - plug your food into an app like My Fitness Pal to see if your intake matches up with what your body needs. Remember, though you might be eating a lot if it's mostly veg, it might be short on calories.

Third - get enough protein, especially when you make the switch to heavy weights. Check your body composition, most gyms or even chemists will have a set of body analyser scales. Once you know your bf% you can calculate your Lean Body Mass. If you want to build muscle then the guide is approx 1g of protein for every 1lbs of LBM. (Again MFP will track that kind of data for you)

Sorry if that's all a bit scary, but it's what I wish someone had told me back at the start. Especially the calories thing.... I eat so much better now that I know how to fuel my body properly. I eat LIKE A BOSS! now. :D

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

First time post,

Hey people! My name is Dave from West Chester PA. I'm a 29 year-old programmer and I've been looking to stop being so whimpy. Here's my story

I've never really been a "fit" person, although when I was in middle school I did wrestle, and was ok at it. I did marching band in high school. I was mainly a music and theatre nut so I didn't really focus on any kind of excercise, although being so active kept my matabolism working functionally. 

After high school I tried a career as a singer/songwriter at piano. I moved to Chicago in 2005 and actually landed a job in an off-broadway play as a music producer! But I didn't want to get sued by a play we were making a parody of, so I left and went back home to Philly, found a desk job at a banking Transfer Agency. I then met my wife, and we quickly had three kids... in three years! I eventually took up a job at Best Buy and then started freelance programming.

Fast Forward to now... here's my situation:

Not fat, not scrawny, but definitely not in shape and not that strong. I sit a lot.

I am, what you might call energetic to a fault

That's it.... I thought that would be longer. Anyway, to the point. I've made up my mind I'm sick of being this doughey-physique guy. I want to finally be fit before I turn 30, which will be August. So I have four months to start kicking my own ass to get myself into shape. Here's my plan!

I have no weights, and joining a gym is a challenge as we're buying a house soon, so here goes:

I've already switched to the Paleo diet. This made tons of sense that I can't believe I didn't think of it before

I'm waking up at 6 each day for breakfast - Eggs, veggies!

6:20 each day

- Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays is Strength Training

-- I'm going with the beginner full body weight workout circuit for now. I do eventually want to switch to heavy weights!

- Sundays/Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays is interval training

-- I've worked out the 30 sec/ 2 minute intervalls and I'll be using Steve's interval training method

Then it's off to work!

- Around 9:30 I'm going to try a snack. Maybe an apple/carrots, something delicious but no carbs

- 10:30  I was thinking smoothies (Banana-Strawberry smoothies with some protein shake in there? [i know it's not paleo!])

- 12:00 Lunch I'm taking Staci's idea of pre-cooking my lunches for the week every sunday. Chicken! And lots and lots of veggies

- 1:00 I want to eat more veggies

- Maybe one more snack in between 1 and 4 when I leave

Dinner - Meat and... yeah... more veggies! I really like veggies now... I switched to paleo last week and I've never eaten as many veggies in my life! 

So that's my daily plan! I'm hoping this will kickstart my body and I'm hoping it will produce some results. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I eating too much for that kind of routine? Is the routine too much too soon? 

Cheers!

Dave

Regarding the pre-cooking of meals... If you can take the same thing for a week, grab a crockpot. I'll make chili on Sunday, and eat off of it for breakfast and lunch at work. It helps out a ton... change up the recipe for each week and you're good. I spend less doing that, then I did eating at Subway, and I'm using uncured bacon and grass-fed beef for the chili.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Hey! Welcome on board.

If you're worried (thinking?) about your diet and your calorie intake, then there's some basic things you can do to get a better idea of where you stand.

First off - you can work out how many calories you actually need. You can find your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) using free on-line calculators. Just google 'em.

Second - plug your food into an app like My Fitness Pal to see if your intake matches up with what your body needs. Remember, though you might be eating a lot if it's mostly veg, it might be short on calories.

Third - get enough protein, especially when you make the switch to heavy weights. Check your body composition, most gyms or even chemists will have a set of body analyser scales. Once you know your bf% you can calculate your Lean Body Mass. If you want to build muscle then the guide is approx 1g of protein for every 1lbs of LBM. (Again MFP will track that kind of data for you)

Sorry if that's all a bit scary, but it's what I wish someone had told me back at the start. Especially the calories thing.... I eat so much better now that I know how to fuel my body properly. I eat LIKE A BOSS! now. :D

You are AWESOME! I'm already googling right now

public class Starter{

private Person me;

public Starter(Person whoIWas){

this.me = whoIWas;

this.changeMe(new Person(Strong, Athletic, Fit));

System.out.println("It has begun!");

}

public void changeMe(Person guyIWantToBe){

this.me = guyIWantToBe;

}

}