Forums are back in action! ×

Guess who got in my pants?

Me!  I got in my pants!  My pre-pregnancy pants, that is.  

This is a Really Big Deal to me for a few reasons.  One is, so, so very many people told me that it was impossible.  People told me there are changes to your bone structure and metabolism, that keep you from being able to fit into the clothes that you wore before you had a baby.  I heard this so many times when I was pregnant that I can't even count them (why is scaring pregnant women so much fun for some people?).   

Another reason this is a big accomplishment for me is that I can't think of any other goal in my life I have been so unsure I could accomplish.  Maybe passing the Bar exam, but even that I thought I would pass eventually, if not on the first try.  I reckon we succeed at most things if we don't give up.  But getting fit enough to fit in my pre-pregnancy clothes?  I don't know.  So many people told me that it couldn't be done, I honestly wasn't sure.  I gained about 50 pounds with each of my pregnancies, and while a lot of that came off after they were born, some of it stuck after each baby.  I also had some pretty bad postpartum depression with my second, and so was not feeling at my most confident anyway.  I really doubted that I could get back in shape.

What I was sure about was that I needed to move and sweat and breathe deeply again to feel like myself.  I hated being overweight and weak and tired and sad all the time.  There's nothing wrong with wearing a larger size, but it didn't feel like me. As busy as I was with my work and my two beautiful children, I had to find a way to carve out a little time for myself.   So, I began with the Beginner Bodyweight Circuit, which I learned on here. The first time (okay, several times) it kicked my a**.  I walked like a little old lady for two days after my workout.  But then an amazing thing happened.  I got stronger.  It became less hard and I started adding reps and weight to make it hard again.  I threw in some HIIT and yoga here and there.  I started sleeping better and having more patience with my kids.  I started seeing little muscles peeking out in my arms and legs and abs, and getting compliments on how well I looked.

Then last week I went to the doctor for my annual checkup.  "Did you know you've lost 20 pounds since last year?" the nurse asked.  I didn't know that, nope.  I knew I had lost weight, but not quite that much.  Now that I knew, I decided it was time to try on some clothes that I've been storing in cardboard boxes on the top shelf of my closet.  First I tried on some loose-fitting dresses from before I had kids.  They fit.  I took a deep breath and tried on some of the larger-size pants.  No problem; fit fine.  Next I moved on to my favorite pre-pregnancy "skinny" pants.  Fit, fit, fit.  Astounded, I decided to try on the little, cute dresses.  They all fit, including one that I bought when I was in college in 1998.  I had done it.  The thing that so many people said I couldn't do, I did.

If I could carry two babies for nine months each, why would I think I was not strong?  If I could push a new human being out into the world through my pelvis, why would I think there was anything I could not do?  I want all the mamas and mamas-to-be out there to know that it *can* be done, and you *can* do it and you deserve to do it for yourself because it feels amazing to feel lithe and light and strong every morning and to have energy for the Whole Damn Day, even the part where your toddler smears yogurt on the wall.  I believe in you.   

• Like 2