Forums are back in action! ×

What nerdy/crazy/weird stuff do you do?

The thing about Maine is, the zombies would have to walk hundreds of miles to get to me.  Unless we get zombie moose - you don't really hear about zombie wildlife, but zombie moose would be terrifying.  Otherwise you could probably take out all the local zombies without even reloading.  But just in case, I have a spot picked out for my all-purpose post-apocalypse survivalist compound.  Next step - learn how to make charcoal and smelt/forge iron.  Yes, I really plan to do that, which may be the nerdiest thing about me.

To me, it's just smart to be able to make your own things... wood for chairs/tables even bowls... metal for utensils... etc. They don't have to be fancy... just function.

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Ah, thank God I'm not the only weirdo who thinks about stuff like that^^^ I have my Zombie Apocalypse Plan all mapped out. Including growing my own food, basic wood & metal working, where/how to get medicines....

That's not weird at all, right...?

• Like 3

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Not to worry Guzzi, we live on Islands, so if our airforces and navies get it right we should be zombie free.........unless they swim. :tongue:

Zombies can't swim, BUT, some can walk under water, so I wouldn't be so calm…… :)

• Like 1

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

Ah, thank God I'm not the only weirdo who thinks about stuff like that^^^ I have my Zombie Apocalypse Plan all mapped out. Including growing my own food, basic wood & metal working, where/how to get medicines....

That's not weird at all, right...?

To me it's simply smart... being dependent on others is bad juju

Not to worry Guzzi, we live on Islands, so if our airforces and navies get it right we should be zombie free.........unless they swim. :P

Unless of course they start on the islands... then I'm good... :-)

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

Talking to yourself is not crazy.

You are just ensuring intelligent conversation.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

I am not much good at running [yet], which is why I have a warhammer. 

Oh and to add to my list some music:

Wardruna

Forefather

Soar Patrol

A serious discussion

A nice place to live

Would you like to know more...

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

The thing about Maine is, the zombies would have to walk hundreds of miles to get to me.  Unless we get zombie moose - you don't really hear about zombie wildlife, but zombie moose would be terrifying.  Otherwise you could probably take out all the local zombies without even reloading.  But just in case, I have a spot picked out for my all-purpose post-apocalypse survivalist compound.  Next step - learn how to make charcoal and smelt/forge iron.  Yes, I really plan to do that, which may be the nerdiest thing about me.

Do you have your Bug Out Bag and Bug Out Vehicle prepped?  

Not judging.  I have them too.  :D

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Not judging.  I have them too.   :D

Nah, my region is 99.9% disaster-free.*  It's hard to imagine a realistic situation where I'd need to leave my house in a hurry and do something other than hop in my car and drive to a hotel.  And the only time I'd need to do that is a house fire or a lengthy power outage.  I'm more interested in developing otherwise-obsolete skills in the event that something permanently disrupts the supply chain that gets stuff to the middle of nowhere where I live.  You could make a case for laying in a 6-12 month food supply, though.

*No joke.  We're not on anybody's list of places to bomb, and we get virtually no hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, volcanoes, wildfires, floods, mudslides, etc.  The closest we get is a good blizzard/ice storm, and I'm inclined to stay in my house for those.

• Like 1

Not judging.  I have them too.   :D

Yes, but it's because I do Search and Rescue. I've pared it down quite a bit after never using a lot of the kit. It's pretty surprising what you can get along without. I suggest going out with your  BOB for 72 hours as often as is convenient just to see what you don't need (don't have to carry).

• Like 1

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Yes, but it's because I do Search and Rescue. I've pared it down quite a bit after never using a lot of the kit. It's pretty surprising what you can get along without. I suggest going out with your  BOB for 72 hours as often as is convenient just to see what you don't need (don't have to carry).

Mind if I ask what you have in yours? I've seen a few loadouts, but never by anyone that actually uses it on a regular basis.

• Like 1

My first challenge

Mind if I ask what you have in yours? I've seen a few loadouts, but never by anyone that actually uses it on a regular basis.

I'll let Barfly answer that, but it's kind of situational.  I don't think there's such a thing as a universal loadout that's going to work for everybody.  In my situation, I don't think it's necessary, so I don't have one, but I've given it some thought.

Here's a few questions to think about:

- Where do you live?

- What are the plausible emergencies that would force you to leave your house?

- How long would you have to gather up your gear before leaving?  Does every second count?

- Who will you be responsible for besides yourself?  What are their capabilities?

- If you had to leave your house, where would you go and how would you get there?

- And are there any plausible scenarios where you wouldn't be able to get there?  What's the backup plan?

- What are the worst-case weather scenarios (extreme heat, extreme cold, rain, snow, sleet, high winds, etc.)?  How do those affect your plan, and what additional risks do they pose?

- What are your options for drinking water?  Do you need to carry all of it, or can you purify more as needed (or drink it unpurified and worry about it later)?

- Any known medical needs?

- What's your survivalist skill level?

- What supplies do you already have that would be useful in a survival situation?

- What's most likely to actually kill you?  What's plausible?

- Which of those things can you prepare for, and which are pretty much unpreventable?

• Like 1

I'll let Barfly answer that, but it's kind of situational.  I don't think there's such a thing as a universal loadout that's going to work for everybody.  In my situation, I don't think it's necessary, so I don't have one, but I've given it some thought.

- Where do you live?

- How long would you have to gather up your gear before leaving?  Does every second count?

- Who will you be responsible for besides yourself?  What are their capabilities?

- If you had to leave your house, where would you go and how would you get there?

- And are there any plausible scenarios where you wouldn't be able to get there?  What's the backup plan?

- What are the worst-case weather scenarios (extreme heat, extreme cold, rain, snow, sleet, high winds, etc.)?  How do those affect your plan, and what additional risks do they pose?

- What are your options for drinking water?  Do you need to carry all of it, or can you purify more as needed (or drink it unpurified and worry about it later)?

- What supplies do you already have that would be useful in a survival situation?

- Which of those things can you prepare for, and which are pretty much unpreventable?

Some good questions, for sure.  I think the very first one is most important.  For example: I live in a major city, so I've been looking at more of the Urban Bug Out Bag.  

Good call.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'll go over it from memory for now, I'll double check when I can get out to the car this afternoon.

My sleep/shelter system is:

2 reflective tarps

closed cell foam pad

bivy sack (experimental/wicking)

in which 

expedition weight base layer

heavy watch cap

heavy wool gloves

heavy wool socks

are rolled up, the whole put into a watertight compression bag.

rain pants/rain jacket

in one stuff sack:

alcohol stove, stand, windscreen (homemade) and a small bottle of denatured alcohol*, all stuffed into a tin can

2 freeze dried meals for 2

coffee vias, creamer packets and sweetener packets (no use living like a savage)

matches

*doubles as antiseptic

in another stuff sack, easily reachable:

jerky 

sunflower seeds

raisins 

clif bars or equiv

all individual portions, enough for the first day

water redundancy:

2-liter platypus collapsible bottle

2) 1-liter platypus collapsible bottles

liquid aquamira water purifier

aquamira tabs

survival straw filter

I carry a case of 1-liter bottles of water in the car, always

fire redundancy:

extra matches

cotton/vaseline

lighter

magnesium bar

flint and iron

misc./emergency:

emergency blanket

signalling mirror

whistle

headlamp/extra batteries

large plastic bags

gallon ziplock bags

tp, toothbrush, toothpaste

first aid, trauma:

3 or 4) 5x9 pads

2) ace bandages

2) gauze bandages - I forget what they're called, they look like rolled up bandanas about 30" long

duct (gorilla) tape

first aid,personal:

tylenol, advil, benadryl, immodium

misc. small bandaids

technu (individual packets)

technical:

2) 20' tubular webbing

2) locking carabiners

purcell prussik kit

50' 550 cord

helmet

goggles

in a separate harness I have:

radio

gps

map and compass

note pad, pencil, pen, sharpie

I carry a knife in my pocket at all times.

I think that's everything. I'll double check and update if needed.

• Like 6

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

- Where do you live?

I agree completely, but the basic stuff seems to be universal, I may need to prepare for a hurricane as opposed to tornadoes, but everyone needs water.

I'll go over it from memory for now, I'll double check when I can get out to the car this afternoon.

Awesome... much appreciated.

• Like 1

My first challenge

My sleep/shelter system is:

2 reflective tarps

closed cell foam pad

bivy sack (experimental/wicking)

in which

expedition weight base layer

heavy watch cap

heavy wool gloves

heavy wool socks

are rolled up, the whole put into a watertight compression bag.

rain pants/rain jacket

in one stuff sack:

alcohol stove, stand, windscreen (homemade) and a small bottle of denatured alcohol*, all stuffed into a tin can

2 freeze dried meals for 2

coffee vias, creamer packets and sweetener packets (no use living like a savage)

matches

*doubles as antiseptic

in another stuff sack, easily reachable:

jerky

sunflower seeds

raisins

clif bars or equiv

all individual portions, enough for the first day

water redundancy:

2-liter platypus collapsible bottle

2) 1-liter platypus collapsible bottles

liquid aquamira water purifier

aquamira tabs

survival straw filter

I carry a case of 1-liter bottles of water in the car, always

fire redundancy:

extra matches

cotton/vaseline

lighter

magnesium bar

flint and iron

misc./emergency:

emergency blanket

signalling mirror

whistle

headlamp/extra batteries

large plastic bags

gallon ziplock bags

tp, toothbrush, toothpaste

first aid, trauma:

3 or 4) 5x9 pads

2) ace bandages

2) gauze bandages - I forget what they're called, they look like rolled up bandanas about 30" long

duct (gorilla) tape

first aid,personal:

tylenol, advil, benadryl, immodium

misc. small bandaids

technu (individual packets)

technical:

2) 20' tubular webbing

2) locking carabiners

purcell prussik kit

50' 550 cord

helmet

goggles

in a separate harness I have:

radio

gps

map and compass

note pad, pencil, pen, sharpie

I carry a knife in my pocket at all times.

I think that's everything. I'll double check and update if needed.

Barfly - You just made top of my list of Awesome People. :encouragement:

• Like 4

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously