Forums are back in action! ×

Calling all Vibrams users!!

So I'm looking at getting a pair of these crazy things and I have a few questions I hope y'all can answer. 

Shrinking/Stretching: I tried on a size 47, and I would describe it as "snug, but not tight".  Is this a good fit?  I've heard they stretch/shrink over time, but don't know how to handle that.  

Cleaning: How the heck do you clean em?

Durability:  How do they stand up to very rough use?  I'd be using them as a daily shoe on everything from concrete to asphalt to grass, and would likely be wearing them for a Tough Mudder in October if I get them. 

Any other thoughts are welcome as well!!  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I use mine only for agility. For dodgeball they have changed my game. So I can't comment on durability, but I work up quite a sweat over a dodgeball match and that has resulted in some smelly toe shoes.

Best method for cleaning I have found is hand washing with a light soap and water, then drying in the sun. Followed up by some baking soda poured in the interior. 

Mine have not really stretched, but again, I don't run with them at all. 

• Like 1

Currently lost in Fitness.

They are also dishwasher safe.  Well,... at least mine have survived a few runs through the dishwasher.

I have the ones with the velcro strap over the top, and not noticed any issues with fit over time.  I run in them sometimes as well, and have had them for close to two years.

Parts of the tread are wearing thin, but I wear my soles hard on all my shoes.

I highly recommend not making them a daily wear shoe until you've gone through a good breaking-in period (not breaking in the shoes, but your feet).

• Like 1

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

You want a snug fit. Chiefly, make sure the toes aren't being too restricted on the tip. If too big your feet will move in them and can cause blisters. Too tight and your toes can hurt. I'd say if they're comfortable and not too loose you should be fine.

I've had no issues with durability. They will start to wear thing but depending on which one you get the tread can be fairly thick. I've had mine (the original style, and ls bikilas) for over a year and no problems so far.

I machine wash mine (It's on the tag), and air dry. No issues with wear or color loss.

Which ones are you looking at?

• Like 1

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

I use mine only for agility. For dodgeball they have changed my game. So I can't comment on durability, but I work up quite a sweat over a dodgeball match and that has resulted in some smelly toe shoes.

Best method for cleaning I have found is hand washing with a light soap and water, then drying in the sun. Followed up by some baking soda poured in the interior. 

Mine have not really stretched, but again, I don't run with them at all. 

They are also dishwasher safe.  Well,... at least mine have survived a few runs through the dishwasher.

I have the ones with the velcro strap over the top, and not noticed any issues with fit over time.  I run in them sometimes as well, and have had them for close to two years.

Parts of the tread are wearing thin, but I wear my soles hard on all my shoes.

I highly recommend not making them a daily wear shoe until you've gone through a good breaking-in period (not breaking in the shoes, but your feet).

You want a snug fit. Chiefly, make sure the toes aren't being too restricted on the tip. If too big your feet will move in them and can cause blisters. Too tight and your toes can hurt. I'd say if they're comfortable and not too loose you should be fine.

I've had no issues with durability. They will start to wear thing but depending on which one you get the tread can be fairly thick. I've had mine (the original style, and ls bikilas) for over a year and no problems so far.

I machine wash mine (It's on the tag), and air dry. No issues with wear or color loss.

Which ones are you looking at?

Thanks guys!!  Sounds like my concerns are mostly unfounded.  I'm looking at the TrekSport Multisport one, since I want to use it for all kinds of things (lifting, walking, running, everyday use, etc).  I can't afford multiple pairs of shoes right now, so I need something that works reasonably well for everything.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

The dishwasher? Where you wash your dishes? I use the washing machine (the one for clothes) for mine with no problems at all.

I'd just like to back everyone else up with what they said though. I have the KSO ones and I primarily use them in the gym now but have used them in the past for events like Tough Mudder and used to run in them. Super happy with them.

• Like 1

This too, shall pass.

The dishwasher? Where you wash your dishes? I use the washing machine (the one for clothes) for mine with no problems at all.

I was actually thinking about doing this, if it works.  I have to pay for laundry (damn quarter hogs), but the dishwasher is a sunk cost already.  I'd rather use it than pay every time I gotta wash my shoes.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Yep just agreeing with every everyone else. I've had mine for a year now and have used them for every single workout in that time - including a Spartan race, running both on roads and trails, lifting and some just everyday wear, no issues yet with wearing them out - though I'm sure they'll go at some stage.

washing them - they just go in the machine then are hung up on the line to dry. I've had no issues with shrinking or stretching yet.

• Like 1

Level 6, Ranger

Challenge I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X Current Challenge

My Sewing Blog

Notice it's been settled and not proven... lots of companies do that these days. So a settled case means nothing to me other than the opposition couldn't prove it was a lie so they decided to keep the case going as long as possible to try and get the settlement.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Injini socks were designed to be used but I'm sure any toe sock will work assuming its thin.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

this.

I got mine at Eastern Mountain Sports- they are not cheap and I guard mine dearly- but I never go out in Vibrams without them now!! 

this.

I got mine at Eastern Mountain Sports- they are not cheap and I guard mine dearly- but I never go out in Vibrams without them now!! 

Good to know.  How durable are they?  I tend to tear holes in socks extremely fast.  No kidding, I've had a few pairs that got a hole in the big toe area after wearing them one time.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Sorry I missed the question... I have had my the pairs for going on over a year now and they are doing fine. But. Caveat. But.

I do not wear mine regularly. I just my shoes once or twice a week and rotate socks. I flip flop with whatever matching socks I find first. If the pair is regular sucks then I just my new Balance minimums... If it's vibrams then I use those shoes.

At 12$ a pair I am fussy about wearing them out lol

At 12$ a pair I am fussy about wearing them out lol

I hear ya!  I'm hesitant to pop for them myself for that very reason.  And as I said, for some reason I tend to put holes in socks extremely fast.  I'm actually thinking about homemade "toe" socks

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'm 6'1" and hovering around 260lbs; I've had a pair of Vibrams for about 3 months now, and I too wear out socks extremely quickly. Usually new dress socks after about two months, size 16-17 shoe depending on brand.

I got a single pair of the Injini socks when I got the Vibrams and while they've certainly stretched, no holes currently; which means they are, currently, fairing better than a pair of dress socks for me. Bear in mind I wear dress socks everyday, sure... but... I chalk that up to something.

Also, regarding the settlement; had a lot of people say, "OMergaD! Look at that! Those weird things you wear don't do what they say they do!" and I reply, "I like being barefoot while outside, in general, and they provide the sole protection vs. rocks, sharp sticks, pricker bushes. I also like the feeling of running barefoot, I sprint better barefooted vs. shoed, and the only reason I 'wore' shoes is I don't like sprinting and stepping on a sharp rock, much like swimming and stepping on a sharp clam shell (ouch, I've done it twice in my life... paaaain) these prevent that, and I'm not hardcore enough to build up the calluses of my feet to do so."

Vibrams, not for everyone; which is just like many preferences. :)

• Like 1

-Purple_Panda

I'm 6'1" and hovering around 260lbs; I've had a pair of Vibrams for about 3 months now, and I too wear out socks extremely quickly. Usually new dress socks after about two months, size 16-17 shoe depending on brand.

I got a single pair of the Injini socks when I got the Vibrams and while they've certainly stretched, no holes currently; which means they are, currently, fairing better than a pair of dress socks for me. Bear in mind I wear dress socks everyday, sure... but... I chalk that up to something.

Also, regarding the settlement; had a lot of people say, "OMergaD! Look at that! Those weird things you wear don't do what they say they do!" and I reply, "I like being barefoot while outside, in general, and they provide the sole protection vs. rocks, sharp sticks, pricker bushes. I also like the feeling of running barefoot, I sprint better barefooted vs. shoed, and the only reason I 'wore' shoes is I don't like sprinting and stepping on a sharp rock, much like swimming and stepping on a sharp clam shell (ouch, I've done it twice in my life... paaaain) these prevent that, and I'm not hardcore enough to build up the calluses of my feet to do so."

Vibrams, not for everyone; which is just like many preferences. :)

Interesting.  I may have to pop for a pair of those socks then.  I have the same problem you do.  Large feet and I tear through dress socks the same way.  Very interesting. 

As for the settlement: what most people don't realize is that they settled, but the claims were never actually proven.  Basically it was a stalemate of "you can't prove you're right, but I can't prove you're wrong" sort of thing.  So they settled instead of throwing more money at it for no reason.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Bummed I missed out on this thread until now!

Ok.  I've had a pair of Bikala LS for over 4 years now.  I've run 2 Tough Mudders, 2 Warrior Dashes, countless miles in prep for those races, and now that my running days are on hiatus, I lift weights in them 4 days a week, and they are still holding strong.  One of the toes is just now starting to rip apart a bit and one of the lace hoops ripped awhile back, but that's the only issues I've had.  I picked up a 2nd pair for just wearing to work on warm days (KMD LS) and they are holding up fine as well, although not nearly the beating I put on the Bikala's. 

Shrinking / Stretching:  I haven't noticed anything.  You might find a break-in period where your feet adjust a bit.  But overall, the size I tried on in the store, is the size I've had all along, and never felt like it was an issue.

Cleaning:  Throw them in the washing machine with the regular laundry once every few months.  Air dry.  Sometimes I do a little baking soda if they are really ripe, but for the most part, they stay in my gym bag which smells nasty anyway.  :)

Far as the settlement goes, from my experience, running feels better to me with my Vibrams.  I can only speak for myself, but I used to get shin splints after months of running and training, and since I switched, I've never gotten them again.  My feet feel better, my legs feel better, etc.  Maybe it's placebo... but even placebo can be a powerful thing.  :)

Other things... I've never worn socks with mine.  Never been an issue. 

Places to buy them?  I've seen some great prices at 6pm.com lately, although on very limited selection shoes.  Also, moosejaw.com occasionally has some great sales, but you have to check frequently to find when their sales are. 

http://www.6pm.com/vibram-fivefingers-men~3

• Like 1

Bummed I missed out on this thread until now!

Ok.  I've had a pair of Bikala LS for over 4 years now.  I've run 2 Tough Mudders, 2 Warrior Dashes, countless miles in prep for those races, and now that my running days are on hiatus, I lift weights in them 4 days a week, and they are still holding strong.  One of the toes is just now starting to rip apart a bit and one of the lace hoops ripped awhile back, but that's the only issues I've had.  I picked up a 2nd pair for just wearing to work on warm days (KMD LS) and they are holding up fine as well, although not nearly the beating I put on the Bikala's. 

Shrinking / Stretching:  I haven't noticed anything.  You might find a break-in period where your feet adjust a bit.  But overall, the size I tried on in the store, is the size I've had all along, and never felt like it was an issue.

Cleaning:  Throw them in the washing machine with the regular laundry once every few months.  Air dry.  Sometimes I do a little baking soda if they are really ripe, but for the most part, they stay in my gym bag which smells nasty anyway.  :)

Far as the settlement goes, from my experience, running feels better to me with my Vibrams.  I can only speak for myself, but I used to get shin splints after months of running and training, and since I switched, I've never gotten them again.  My feet feel better, my legs feel better, etc.  Maybe it's placebo... but even placebo can be a powerful thing.  :)

Other things... I've never worn socks with mine.  Never been an issue. 

Places to buy them?  I've seen some great prices at 6pm.com lately, although on very limited selection shoes.  Also, moosejaw.com occasionally has some great sales, but you have to check frequently to find when their sales are. 

http://www.6pm.com/vibram-fivefingers-men~3

Thanks for your thoughts!!  I actually already bought a pair of TrekSports a couple weeks back.  So far I love them!  Been using them for my meager runs and for lifting, and just general use.  Can't wear them to work, sadly, so I'm stuck with dress shoes or my older-than-dirt tennis shoes for that.  

I really appreciate how you clean them and how durable they've been.  Those were 2 of my biggest concerns going in.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Thanks for your thoughts!!  I actually already bought a pair of TrekSports a couple weeks back.  So far I love them!  Been using them for my meager runs and for lifting, and just general use.  Can't wear them to work, sadly, so I'm stuck with dress shoes or my older-than-dirt tennis shoes for that.  

I really appreciate how you clean them and how durable they've been.  Those were 2 of my biggest concerns going in.  

Good stuff.  Glad you are liking them so far.  I haven't heard of anyone trying them and not liking them so far.  I know a lot of people that won't even try them because "they look weird".  But overall, I love them.  Glad I made the switch. 

They are especially great on mud runs like TM.  They don't get much heavier when wet and they don't slip off your feet in the mud.  Happened to a couple of my friends that their shoes came off when we went through a really muddy area. 

• Like 1