Forums are back in action! ×

One of my goals for the upcoming challenge is to do a C25K. A few people have mentioned they wouldn't mind doing one as well so Im making it a PVP/PVS.

If you'd like to join us, say hi here and sign up here: PVP Log

The more the merrier.

You DONT have to use a C25K program - the only requirement is to go from not being able to run 5km on June 9, to being able to run 5km without stopping by the end of the challenge. How you do it is up to you.

Since we're all going to be beginner runners I suggest getting advice from the more experienced folks on the forums and checking out the various threads on running - we dont want anyone getting injured.

Happy running!

• Like 3

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

I am here, and ready to give this a go. 

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

One of my goals for the upcoming challenge is to do a C25K. A few people have mentioned they wouldn't mind doing one as well so Im making it a PVP/PVS.

If you'd like to join us, say hi here and sign up here: PVP Log

The more the merrier.

You DONT have to use a C25K program - the only requirement is to go from not being able to run 5km on June 9, to being able to run 5km without stopping by the end of the challenge. How you do it is up to you.

Since we're all going to be beginner runners I suggest getting advice from the more experienced folks on the forums and checking out the various threads on running - we dont want anyone getting injured.

Happy running!

Awesome; I'm in too, already did my second C25K run.

One problem though: You forgot to give permission to edit your sheet :-)

• Like 1

6 week: Auro on the road to getting fit

battle log: Auro Back in Black

Challenge history: #1 #2

I'm almost positive I wont be able to run for the full 5K ... like ever, but I'm joining anyway.  If I improve my current time by 20 minutes that will be enough for me.   cant access the sign up sheet on this machine.  Mommawolfie.. can you sign me up please?

You are signed up!

• Like 2

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

I am here, and ready to give this a go. 

Awesome, you're on the log!

• Like 1

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

Awesome; I'm in too, already did my second C25K run.

One problem though: You forgot to give permission to edit your sheet :-)

That I did, lol....still finding my way around on Google docs. Fixed it now and added you. ;)

• Like 1

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

Ok Sometime during the last challenge I timed myself doing 5km. My time was 50 minutes and 11 seconds. This was all walking.

I have done a couple of test runs last challenge and found that I enjoy running [even if I was overtaken by a tortoise in a zimmer frame]. I managed to run 1.68km [1.04mile] in 14min 30sec. This was a combination of walking and running. So doing this challenge will be my first real attempt at taking up running ever.

I will be starting the C25K programme [the Zen Labs free app] next week.I plan to test myself at the end of every second week during the challenge to record my progress. My main aim is to complete the 5k in 45minutes or less by the end of this challenge. 

So what is the plan for everyone else?

• Like 2

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

I plan to attend no less than 4 training runs with the local track club I belong to.  I want to participate in one 5K race, do better than 50 minutes 11 seconds (which was my best race time) and volunteer at one race event in the community or a community project not associated with my museum group.

• Like 3

You mean I need to have a plan? I was just going to hit the park every day, crank up my app and see what happens lol

• Like 3

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

Hi, all! ** Waves at Mommawolfie, Beaucastle, Lycan Thom, and Auro ** I'm here for the company. I don't expect to be able to run, or even jog, the full way in six weeks.

I am currently on a pre-C25K walking program of my own devising. It presupposes an overall time period of about 12 weeks before I will be able to jog 5K without stopping, but who knows? I really have no idea how quickly I will be able to progress. So, if no one minds a slowpoke tagging along, I'm in.

I think my biggest challenge will be that I am training in Phoenix, Arizona. (Where the high is supposed to be 110 degrees Farenheit tomorrow!) Planning to get out and redo my test walk at 6:00 am tomorrow, so better get to bed...

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

You mean I need to have a plan? I was just going to hit the park every day, crank up my app and see what happens lol

Sounds like a plan to me.

• Like 2

Mini-woot! I did my baseline walk test today and came in at week 7 of my 16 week plan! (I forgot that it was actually 16 in the earlier post - oops.) So I now have a 10, instead of a 12 or 16(!), week plan to get to a continuous 5K jog and indications that I may progress faster than I expected. I'm excited!

My squirrely heart rate monitor had me way underestimating what I could do...

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

you should replace your squirrels... hamsters are less frantic and baseline easier... but they aren't as much fun.

I love that you are doing excellent right out of the gate.   I hope to do better but I do not expect I will be able to run a full 5K without stopping.. for a long time to come.  I just want to improve my time each race.  Improvement is my goal and its ok that I can't run a 5K  last year I couldn't walk from one end of Walmart to the other without pain, so anything I do pain free... is a BONUS

• Like 3

Weather permitting Im going to do a test run tonight after work

• Like 1

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

Beaucastle, I think improvement is the only real result here. whether you go from not walking 5k to being able to walk it is a win in my book. Particularly if it is a pain free result. :) 

Well done MaidofRus, did you record your time? So we can see how much you have improved over the next challenge. 

• Like 3

Well done MaidofRus, did you record your time? So we can see how much you have improved over the next challenge. 

I didn't do a full 5k and I also don't have an exact time, because I forgot to turn off RunKeeper. However I did do 6k in about 2hrs!

• Like 4

Whoop! I thought I was going to die and that was only over 2.5km lol walked the rest of the 5k not covered by day one of the program. Hoooooboy I have my work cut out for me this challenge....bring it on!

• Like 3

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

Went on my normal Tuesday 5K Training run. 

52 minutes.   While in the cooling down phase I experienced a serious problem.  I started shaking and it was really scary.  I was sweaty from running but suddenly I was soaked and sweat was just running out of me. 

I had help nearby and they got me one of those electrolyte popcicle things and an energy gel pack.  Water wasn't working I was pouring water out of my pores faster than I could drink it. 

I don't have any idea what happened or why, but it was un-nerving.

Went on my normal Tuesday 5K Training run. 

52 minutes.   While in the cooling down phase I experienced a serious problem.  I started shaking and it was really scary.  I was sweaty from running but suddenly I was soaked and sweat was just running out of me. 

I had help nearby and they got me one of those electrolyte popcicle things and an energy gel pack.  Water wasn't working I was pouring water out of my pores faster than I could drink it. 

I don't have any idea what happened or why, but it was un-nerving.

How hot/humid was it and did you go at a faster than normal pace? Properly fed and hydrated prior? It sounds like you were experiencing the early stages of heat exhaustion, which can be quite serious. Luckily you had good help and you did the right things. (I'm assuming you got into shade and rested, too.)

It is scary and it's a timely reminder to all of us to really listen to our bodies as we push ourselves in hotter temperatures and higher humidity. Many of us are carrying some extra weight around as well, which makes it doubly important to watch the intensity levels and to be careful. With the extra load I'm carrying, I'm timing my workouts to the coolest part of the day, even doing indoors ones if the conditions will cause me to push my limits too hard. It can be hard to know where those limits are, though!

I'm so glad you are alright, Beau!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

How hot/humid was it and did you go at a faster than normal pace? Properly fed and hydrated prior? It sounds like you were experiencing the early stages of heat exhaustion, which can be quite serious. Luckily you had good help and you did the right things. (I'm assuming you got into shade and rested, too.)

It is scary and it's a timely reminder to all of us to really listen to our bodies as we push ourselves in hotter temperatures and higher humidity. Many of us are carrying some extra weight around as well, which makes it doubly important to watch the intensity levels and to be careful. With the extra load I'm carrying, I'm timing my workouts to the coolest part of the day, even doing indoors ones if the conditions will cause me to push my limits too hard. It can be hard to know where those limits are, though!

I'm so glad you are alright, Beau!

Very humid  and hot.  I pushed really hard and was very focused on my pace.    Properly fed and hydrated.. I'm going to say no.  I didn't bring any water with me on the run, and I don't recall how much I drank before but it wasnt much.  I don't eat before I run, I don't eat between meals, so the last food I had was lunch, hours and hours earlier.

I went inside to the air conditioning when it happened.  Inside was where help was.

thank you for being worried Shadow.  I'm ok. 

The group runs at 6 pm on Tuesdays... so I go at 6 pm on Tuesdays.    I'll be bringing water with from now on and being mindful of how hard I'm pushing.  Things like this is why I train with this group.  If my keys are still on the board and I didn't get back when the hour is up... someone comes to look for me.  If I have a problem.. I have people to help me.  Doing this alone on the highway by my house.. I'm on my own.

• Like 2

Very humid  and hot. 

I guess this gives me a reason to be grateful for the cooler rainy weather in my part of the world, but it reminds me that yes I do need to bring a waterbottle. Very scary and I'm glad you are ok Beaucastle.

Also I did my second run. About 4k in 35 mins, I had to walk a couple of the runs becaause I had a stitch in my side.

• Like 3

Jeez Beau that must have been terrifying! Im glad help was available and you're ok now.

• Like 1

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

I am fine today.  No lingering effects, no dizzy spells, nothing out of the norm.  I am not sure if it was heat or when your muscles burn through all the available energy.  (forgot the term)  Either way... matters not.. I'm fine today and even managed to take the mutts for a jaunt.  (super slow pace we didn't go far)

thank you all for your concern, its really nice to have folks who care... ya know?  I do appreciate that

• Like 2