Forums are back in action! ×

Geocaching

Anyone here do it? I'm thinking it may be fun to do with the kids this summer, especially on our road trip. Any advice for getting started? Is it reasonable to expect to find some along a major route, possibly at rest stops? We will be going from FL to PA. I was thinking of buying some FL trinkets (post cards, shells, etc) and leaving them in different states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.†― Henry Ford

Epic Quest

First Challenge          Second Challenge         Third Challenge

I just got the app the other week and intend to start up. I love the idea (like a big treasure hunt) and it´s easy to track.

I have no advice, but I'm sure you´ll find a bunch of caches around the main roads, and if you don´t, make your own.

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

Geocaching.com is where you will find the list of them. You can spot some good ones and save them so that you know they are close to where you are going. They have a difficulty and terrain rating. Choose something with 1 or 2  (the easiest) since you want to be fairly quick finds. Might also be ones in cute parks that aren't to far off your main road. 

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I geocache though recently haven't gotten out much. It's incredibly addictive though. I'm currently planning a few walks along heavily cached trails do my days off and I want to find a difficulty five - technically I have done but me and my fellow cachers didn't fancy attempting to climb 20-30ft up a very difficult tree to retrieve it! And I'm a decent tree climber!

I've also seen ones hidden on lakes or in caves and of course just in the middle of nowhere. Some of the Puzzles are excellent too!

Guest ReformedPerfectionist

Anyone here do it? I'm thinking it may be fun to do with the kids this summer, especially on our road trip. Any advice for getting started? Is it reasonable to expect to find some along a major route, possibly at rest stops? We will be going from FL to PA. I was thinking of buying some FL trinkets (post cards, shells, etc) and leaving them in different states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SQUEE!!!!

I love geocaching. As others have said, the website is the place to start. Then I highly recommend the official geocaching app. I've been caching since before smart phones...with a handheld GPS....lol. Long time cacher. 

Anyway, you'll see a lot of caches at rest stations. You'll find some JOE's (Just off exit's) and then caching is awesome to show you cool places you never would have found otherwise. I would suggest you start with the "regular" caches before trying the mystery or puzzle ones. The regular ones have...kind of little green boxes as symbols? Then there are a LOT of other types, some with multiple parts...depends on how much time you've got. Usually when traveling I just hit the regular's. 

Also, stock up on trinkets before you go. Send the kids to one of those quarter machines in the grocery store (if those still exist...) and let them buy $2-3 worth of stuff. Or the dollar tree...Or if you want to be extra special, get some semi-precious stones, quartz, hematite, turquoise, etc to leave. Cachers love stuff like that, but having kid-related things is good too. Oh, and pens. Bring a lot of pens/pencils. You'll need them and you'll lose them. Hahaha. 

I'm in VA and I can tell you that a lot of exits and rest areas here have them. There's a nice park off Exit 105/109 in VA that has a good cache, just FYI. Good place to walk around and stretch legs, but it is about 5 miles off the interstate, but it's near food...so there's that. 

If you have more questions or specific ones, just let me know. Have fun!!!