Forums are back in action! ×

About the same.  Its been a while since I've really studied, but its starting to come back.  And, since summer is practically here and most of my shows are on hold until fall, I can pick up a few anime I've been meaning to watch.  I like the subtitled versions better for a variety of reasons, and though I know I shouldn't pick up a lot of my vocab from them (I mean, how often do you talk about jutsu or gundam in normal conversation?) it helps me with my pronunciation. 

I can string together simple sentences and even add a few adjectives/adverbs into the mix, but I haven't quite mastered compound subjects/predicates.

ãã®æœ¬ã¯ã€€ä½•ã§ã™ã‹ã€‚

OMIGOD I TOTALLY UNDERSTOOD THIS WITHOUT HAVING TO LOOK ANYTHING UP. FUCK YEAH GO ME! (how do you say that in japanese?)

It's this one.

I also have this one at home from my classroom days but I haven't opened it in a while.

And I bought this one.

(ã“ã®ã¯è²·ã† ã—ã¾ã—㟠?????)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

よã‹ã£ãŸã­ã€‚日本語㫠"go me!"  ãŒ â€ã‚„ã£ãŸ!†ã¨ã„ã„ã¾ã™ã€‚

also be careful with your tenses - if you were studying last night then you should use past tense for the adjective "it was hard": ã‚€ãšã‹ã—ã‹ã£ãŸã§ã™ã€‚

same with using verbs. i know thats a vocab issue, but a lot of your sentences dont quite mean what you're trying to say because you use the noun-form of a verb (è²·ã†) and then ã—ã¾ã™ for 'to do', and because there's no particles anywhere so it comes out super broken. you can simplify it by using the actual verb è²·ã„ã¾ã™ (kaimasu) for present tense or è²·ã„ã¾ã—㟠(kaimashita) for past tense - ã“ã®ã»ã‚“ã‚’è²·ã„ã¾ã—ãŸã‹ï¼Ÿ(did you buy this book?). You could say this sentence with more advanced grammar to better convey your meaning, but for now this is fine.

For general use of verbs we use the particle ã‚’ (pronounced o like in hot) : ã»ã‚“ ã‚’ よã¿ã¾ã™ // ã«ã»ã‚“ã” ã‚’ ã¹ã‚“ãょã†ã—ã¾ã™ // ãƒ”ッザ ã‚’ ãŸã¹ã¾ã™ (i read the book // i study japanese // i eat pizza). 

So when you have your sentence

ã®ã¿ åŸºæœ¬ åè©ž ã—ã¾ã—㟠.

this sentence implies possession, like "there are only basic nouns". you want to say that "i did" only the basic nouns, so add the ã‚’ particle:

ã®ã¿ 基本 åè©ž ã‚’ã—ã¾ã—ãŸ.

and now the sentence is about doing something. adding in a more explicit verb ã¹ã‚“ãょã†ã—ã¾ã—㟠(to study) then helps to clarify what you were actually doing to the nouns:

ã®ã¿ 基本 åè©ž ã‚’ã¹ã‚“ãょã†ã—ã¾ã—ãŸ.

keep up the study yo! :)

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

OMG you are awesome.

Definitely a vocab issue; I simply don't have the words to say what I want. It's the same with the particles. I don't know when to use wa/ga/o/etc. So those are some helpful tips!

I studied Remembering the Kanji last night. He starts out with basic particles and then builds on them using stories where you use your imaginative memory instead of visual (memorization) memory.

For instance, æ—©. How do you remember it's "early"? Well you look at it as a SUNflower, popping up to meet the day first thing in the morning. Some of them get a little weird. è² is shellfish as a primitive. How do you remember it? Think of an oyster or a clam walking around on the little legs with a huge eye. So...yeah.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

oh man, kanji is super frustrating! wait to you get to onyomi/kunyomi :P

this is rough, but particle uses can be broken down like:

㯠(wa) - existence, rougly "am, is". ie) ç§ã¯äºŒå四年ã•ã„ã§ã™ã€‚ (watashi ha ni jyuu yon nensai desu / i am 24 years old)

㌠(ga) - existence, but for things not yourself. ie) çŠ¬ãŒã„ã¾ã™ã€‚(inu ga imasu / there is a dog)

or for adjectives ie) ã™ã†ãŒããŒã‚€ãšã‹ã—ã„ã§ã™ã€‚(suugaku ga muzukashii desu / maths is hard)

ã« (ni) - direction, roughly "to". ie) å­¦æ ¡ã«è¡Œãã¾ã™ã€‚(gakkou ni ikimasu / i go to school)

ã® (no) - possession. ie) ã‚ãŸã—ã®ãªã¾ãˆã¯ã‚¢ãƒ³ãƒŠã§ã™ã€‚(watashi no namae wa anna desu / my name is anna)

and ã‚’ (wo) - action, verbs. ie) ã»ã‚“ ã‚’ よã¿ã¾ã™ (hon wo yomimasu / i read the book)

There are more, and as always there are exceptions to every rule. But this is a good start :)

• Like 1

Yes... On vs Kun >.<  The bane of my Japanese study.  I constantly mix up which one I should be using (I'm getting better, but I haven't quite mastered it yet). 

I have a Kanji study book (it uses manga to teach the characters) and there is an alien who is in the same boat as me... instead of reading Mars (the planet) as "kansei" (the correct On reading according to the book) he read it as "hiboshi" (incorrect Kun reading).  Makes me giggle every time.

Hitlionsoul, thank you for sharing all your wisdom :)  I have difficulty choosing between "wa" and "ga" but I never thought about ga being used for things other than myself, but that makes sense.

I was reading a little bit about on vs kun in....one of the books. It definitely seems daunting!

Okay, so with the knowledge I have gleaned from this thread, the proper title should have been:

日本語 ãŒ è©±ã—ã¾ã™ã‹ã€‚

(Nihongo ga hanashimasu ka).

Also I just typed that into Google Translate. Is that the proper kanji for "go"? It also gave me å´ but then it says it translates as "Japanese side".

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

語 is definitely the correct kanji. I'd probably use ã‚’ for the title to be honest, as its describing the action. Solid rule of thumb for most basic sentences any verb (that isnt directional ie ikimasu 'to go') use ã‚’.

Yay! This is awesome.

Okay so I was in Toronto all weekend and I brought my flashcards but I really didn't pull them out at all. But! There were a bunch of sushi places and stuff in Toronto and I don't remember where exactly we were but I saw å“ and it took me a minute but I finally remembered what it meant (goods). 

Also there was something else I was going to say and I forgot it.

Oh yeah.

ã©ã®ã‚ˆã†ã«ã™ã¹ã¦ã®äººã®é€±æœ«ã§ã—ãŸã‹ï¼Ÿ

(completely snagged from Google Translate because I have no idea how to actually ask that question.)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ugh my kanji sucks, had to pop that into google translate myself! goddamn shumatsu :P tony is kinda right in that google translate has mangled that sentence. not super badly, just made it more complex than it needs to be. 

ã¿ã‚“ãªé€±æœ«ã¯ã©ã†ã§ã—ãŸã‹

(minna shumatsu ha dou deshitaka?)

also, you could say this using the grammar you went over last week -

週末ã«ä½•ã‚’ã—ã¾ã—ãŸã‹

(shumastu ni nani wo shimashitaka?)

and since you asked:

よã‹ã£ãŸã§ã™ã€‚å‹é”ã¨ä¸€ç·’ã«ãƒ¬ã‚¹ãƒˆãƒ©ãƒ³ã«è¡Œã£ã¦ã€ãŸãã•ã‚“「マジカ ã¾ã©ã‹ã€ã¨è¨€ã†ã‚¢ãƒ‹ãƒ¡ã‚’見ã¾ã—ãŸã€‚

(yokatta desu. tomodachi to isshou ni restoran ni itte, takusan [majika madoka] to iu anime wo mimashita.)

ãã‚Œã˜ã‚ƒã€ãƒ©ãƒˆãƒ‹ã‚¹ã•ã‚“ã®é€±æœ«ã¯ã©ã†ã§ã—ãŸã‹?

(sore ja, latniss san no shumatsu ha dou deshitaka?)

ç§ ã® é€±æœ« ㌠ã„ã„ ã§ã—ãŸã€‚トロントを è¡Œãã¾ã—ãŸã€‚

Watashi no shūmatsu ga īdeshita. Toronto o ikimashita.

My weekend was good. I went to Toronto.

I'm not sure how to say "I went to Toronto to see nerds."

(Oops. I think I almost said "I was a good weekend." Bwahahahah.)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ã‚ã€æ¥½ã—ãã†ã§ã™ã­ã€‚ラトニスã•ã‚“ã¯ãƒˆãƒ­ãƒ³ãƒˆå¸‚ã®ã¨ãªã‚Šã«ä½ã‚“ã§ã„ã¾ã™ã‹ï¼Ÿ

(ah, tanoshi sou desune. latnis san ha toronto shi no tonari ni sunde imasuka?)

Oops. I think I almost said "I was a good weekend." Bwahahahah

Those particles are tricky yo :P  Same with ã‚’ è¡Œãã¾ã—㟠-> as  è¡Œãã¾ã™ is directional we use the particle ã« instead of ã‚’. To you're question, there are a couple ways to state why you did something but most require you to learn some new grammar. The simplest is probably よã†ã« (you ni) as in

å‹ã ã¡ã«ä¼šã†ã‚ˆã†ã«ãƒˆãƒ­ãƒ³ãƒˆå¸‚ã«è¡Œãã¾ã—ãŸã€‚

(tomodachi ni au you ni toronto shi ni ikimashita.)

but that requires plain form verbs which are tricky. at a beginner level, it may be better to use two sentences:

トロント市ã«è¡Œãã¾ã—ãŸã€‚å‹ã ã¡ã«ã‚ã„ã¾ã—ãŸã€‚

toronto shi ni ikimashita. tomodachi ni aimashita.

and work at ways to join them. you can use the term ãã‚Œã‹ã‚‰ (sorekara - "then"), ãã®æ™‚ã« (so no toki ni - "at that time"), or you can learn some new grammar with te-form verbs :P

トロント市ã«è¡Œã£ã¦ã€ãã‚Œã‹ã‚‰å‹ã ã¡ã«ã‚ã„ã¾ã—ãŸ.

toronto shi ni itte, sorekara tomodachi ni aimashita.

Keep up the study, you're doing well :)

ã¼ãã¯ã«ã»ã‚“ã˜ã‚“ã§ã™

ãㆠã§ã™ ã­ã€‚ã‚ãªãŸã¯ä»Šãã“ã«ä½ã‚“ã§ã„ã¾ã™ã‹ï¼Ÿ

(second sentence from Google translate - I'm working on ittttt!!!)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ã‚ã€æ¥½ã—ãã†ã§ã™ã­ã€‚ラトニスã•ã‚“ã¯ãƒˆãƒ­ãƒ³ãƒˆå¸‚ã®ã¨ãªã‚Šã«ä½ã‚“ã§ã„ã¾ã™ã‹ï¼Ÿ

(ah, tanoshi sou desune. latnis san ha toronto shi no tonari ni sunde imasuka?)

ãˆãˆ, ç§ ã‚ ãƒˆãƒ­ãƒ³ãƒˆ ã« è¿‘ã ã« ä½ã‚“㧠ã„ã¾ã™ã€‚ (totally need more study on the particles. I should print out your post and tape it to my monitor. I think it would help. Haha)

Damn you, ã‚’ ã¨ ã«ã€‚ Foiled again.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ãㆠã§ã™ ã­ã€‚ã‚ãªãŸã¯ä»Šãã“ã«ä½ã‚“ã§ã„ã¾ã™ã‹ï¼Ÿ

(second sentence from Google translate - I'm working on ittttt!!!)

ã„ãˆã€las vegas ã«ã™ã‚“ã§ã„ã¾ã™ã€‚ã¼ãã¯ã‚¢ãƒ¡ãƒªã‚«ã®ã«ã›ã„ã§ã™

ã‚ã£ï¼ã€€ç§ã‚‚日本語を話ã—ãŸã„ï¼ã€€ã“ã®ãƒã‚¹ãƒˆã‚’蘇ã¾ã—ょã†ï¼

(I have no idea if I chose the right kanji for "yomigaeru" and my Japanese is rusty but let us do this Japanese thang!)

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log