Forums are back in action! ×

My dog Loki's last ride

About two weeks ago my Black Lab was diagnosed with Leukemia. The next day I made all about him, we went over to my mother-in-law's house so he could wander around her 11 acre yard and sniff and check things out. Then we went for a walk, a few car rides, and I took him to the nearby dam so he could go swimming. The disease had already started taking a toll on him, because he wasn't really interested in swimming. Loki was a dog who loved to be in the water. This morning my wife woke me up because she had put him out to go potty and he couldn't make it back up the stairs to the porch. I had to carry him in, I spent the next five hours by his side until the vets office opened when I had to make the hardest phone call I will ever have to make. I took my best friend on his last ride this morning, and spent his last moments of life petting him and letting him know I was there for him like all the times he had been there for me.

Rest easy Loki, I will see you on the other side my boy.

post-481-0-33083700-1403733766_thumb.jpg

Sweat dries, Blood clots, Bones heal. Suck it up Marine.

Semper Fi, Do or die!

I just went through this with my dog last week.  He was 14 years old, and his body just started shutting down.  When my vet arrived at my house, his blood pressure was so low, she said he probably would have only lasted through the end of the day on his own.

But you're right - that call is the hardest one I've ever had to make.  But like I said in another thread: as pet owners it is our responsability to make those hard decisions that our fuzzy loved ones cannot make on their own.  It still sucks royally, though.

So sorry for your loss.

Thanks everyone, he was the best dog ever. We just adopted a dog from the local humane society so our JRT wouldn't be so lonely, he is a character but just reinforces how great Loki was.

Sweat dries, Blood clots, Bones heal. Suck it up Marine.

Semper Fi, Do or die!