Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings and Salutations!

My name is Rachel, and I have struggled with my weight for quite a few years now (my heaviest was 250lbs).  I have lost 17lbs in a few months doing Quick Weight Loss program and then gained back 5 in less time.  Honestly, I gave up for a while because I hated having to restrict what I ate and then binged when I gave into cravings (an old habit of mine.)  Now, I am looking at this differently!  I am ready to get back on track, lose the weight, and be healthy.  I joined a gym and have been going 2-3 times a week since June and also see a personal trainer there once a week.  I know that I can do this and am looking for people that can help me on my quest to healthiness! Specifically gym-wise because sometimes the motivation isn't there.

Rachel Lee

Class: Warrior      Race: Tiefling      Level: 0

You go, Rachel!  The hardest part about the gym is just showing up, right?  Once you're there it's not so bad, but the getting dressed... driving/biking/walking there... etc is sometimes soooooooooooooo hard to do.  I was definitely in this boat about a year back, and it took probably about 6 months for the habit to form, but on the bright side, now that it has I rarely skip workouts.  So you just have to keep going and trying and pushing yourself!

If you need someone to poke you about going to the gym/a texting emailing buddy/whatever, let me know.  I'm glad to assist!

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Thank you for your replies, ladies! I hired a trainer once a week to motivate me to go and I love it, but the other days it can be difficult. What has helped you when you don't necessarily have someone to physically go with? I attended a Zumba class last week that I loved and can't wait to go back on Tuesday!

Starsapart, I would definitely appreciate the poking to get me to go. I would love to discuss what I've done that day, even if it's something short like "49 squats, 30 minute treadmill" for the accountability and see what you've been doing as well! Hearing others' success I think would help me be more motivated and introduce me to stuff that I haven't tried.

Rachel Lee

Class: Warrior      Race: Tiefling      Level: 0

Let me know how you'd like to be poked!  A PM here, a gchat message, a text message, an email?  I'm pretty flexible~

The two things that help me to go most are as follows: 1) you have to sign up for group exercise classes at my gym the day prior.  So I sign up while still motivated... then when the day comes, it's like, well, I signed up, I MIGHT AS WELL GO.  I really like group classes because I can't go easy on myself there!!!  2) I joined a challenge at work where you had to work out minimum 5 days a week.  Everyone paid in $20 to join.  At the end, those who had succeeded split the pot (I got about $90!).  Since this lasted for a few months, I had become more accustomed to the schedule by the end, so I just kept going.  I feel like you can maybe formulate a 6 week challenge to work the same way for you (if you're a completionist like me and want to make grabby hands at the attribute points).  Alternately, set yourself a physical reward to be purchased at the end of a period of time but only if you meet certain criteria (ie go to the gym 5 days a week, whatever).  MAKE SURE YOU DON'T BUY IT ANYWAY IF YOU FAIL.  Just a few ideas!

You can read all about my daily exploits by subscribing to my battle log.  Just click the link in my signature!  If you start one I'll subscribe and comment, or if you prefer to PM/email/whatever that's cool too, I'm always happy o talk to people about their workout stuff, since talking about it keeps me motivated.

And as for zumba, yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss my one true love.  I want to certify to teach it next year!  Do you have an XBox Kinect?  If so, I can recommend an at-home zumba workout that will kick your ass mightily.

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Hi there

I find it hard to get motivated to, I use what I call the 'Might As Well' method.

To being with I literally rolled myself out of bed and then I was like 'I am out of bed Might As Well put my gym kit on even if I just go back to bed'

'I am in my gym kit now I Might As Well drive to the gym even if I come home again'

'I am at the gym now I Might As Well go on the treadmill even if it's just for 1 minute, because hey 1 minute is still better than nothing'

Then as my body warmed up it became easier 'This treadmill lark isn't so bad I Might As Well finish my programme on it, then I can go if I want to'

But I never did, because once the nasty cardio was out of the way I could do weights, which I love doing, so then I would always finish my workouts.

So my tuppence worth is 1) give Might As Well a try and 2) do the thing you like the least first