Forums are back in action! ×

Hi all,

To preface, I feel impossibly shy writing this. I didn't think that would be possible behind a computer screen...

Anyway, hello! I'm Sarah but my D&D name is Ciara, so you can call me either. I started reading NF a few weeks ago, at the beginning of the month, when I finally decided (FOR REAL THIS TIME) to change my life. I'm not obese but I'm definitely overweight and I have been for as long as I can remember. It would be nice to lose some weight and be able to fit into a size 6 pant again, but after reading a lot of Steve's posts and some forum topics, as well as talking to a gymnast/bboy friend of mine, I realized that I really want to get strong and be able to do lots of cool things with my body. My current goals are to do 15 real pushups in a row and do a single pullup by the time school starts again in the fall (I'm in my third year of college, for reference). I also eventually want to do a handstand and an L-sit. It would also be pretty nifty if I could do some flips. I'm really interested in bodyweight exercises and parkour...

I realize my goals are lofty but I think the challenge system will help me out, although I don't fully understand it. I actually still have a lot of questions about the site but I think I'll troll around quietly for a bit longer before asking.

Okay! I'm excited to get started! It's great to meet you all :redface-new:

P.S I'm not nearly as nerdy as some (most?) of you are on this site and for that reason I stalled in joining the community but I finally decided to go for it because maybe osmosis will help me become more nerdy. (I said to a friend once that I felt super lame for never having seen Battlestar Galactica and she said,"I'm pretty sure that's the first time anyone thought they were lame for NOT seeing it.") 

P.P.S I've never been part of an online community before of any sort besides Facebook. Be gentle with me...-shy

Level 2 Human Assassin

STR 4| DEX 0| STA 5CON 4| WIS 4| CHA 1

My battlelog

Challenge: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

I think if you have a D&D name, you're plenty nerdy.  I'm pretty sure no one is strictly enforcing nerdiness standards... and you are definitely welcome!  ^_^

I think your goals sound great!  I also dream of the elusive pull-up... I started parkour classes yesterday and my lack of pull-up was definitely one of my biggest fails (sobbing in a corner...).

In any case, welcome!  I'm sure with the right motivation and support, you will succeed!

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

My town has 5 (!!!!!!) parkour gyms so I was lucky, but I think they're more common than people realize!  So definitely check it out.  I wouldn't say it's easy on your body by any means (as a reference point, I work out pretty hard 5-6 days a week with a mix of cardio, bodyweight, and some weights, and have done so for about 4 months now, but I hurt everywhere today) but it's fun so you don't really think about the exercise while you do it..............

Just while you ice your knees after.  :playful:

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

My town has 5 (!!!!!!) parkour gyms so I was lucky, but I think they're more common than people realize!  So definitely check it out.  I wouldn't say it's easy on your body by any means (as a reference point, I work out pretty hard 5-6 days a week with a mix of cardio, bodyweight, and some weights, and have done so for about 4 months now, but I hurt everywhere today) but it's fun so you don't really think about the exercise while you do it..............

Just while you ice your knees after.  :playful:

I just asked Google and I found 2 in my area! w00t!! That's so exciting, I really think parkour is beast. Thanks for the idea!

You're plenty nerdy if you have a D&D name. You don't have to geek it out to be a nerd -- you just have to have an imagination! :-D Welcome to the boards! We can be newbies here, together!

Yay!!! ^u^ 

Level 2 Human Assassin

STR 4| DEX 0| STA 5CON 4| WIS 4| CHA 1

My battlelog

Challenge: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

I just asked Google and I found 2 in my area! w00t!! That's so exciting, I really think parkour is beast. Thanks for the idea!

You're welcome!  Have fun falling on things~

• Like 1

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads